CP3theMVP
Years ago

Participation Numbers

Hi,

I'm doing a paper for Uni on basketball in Australia.

At the moment I am trying to get some information on participation rates.

Does anyone know where I can find some recent data? I've done a fair bit of googling, but haven't found anything great.

I interested not just how many play basketball but also gender differences, age brackets ect so any info you can give me would be great!

Cheers!

Topic #20090 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

ask Basketball Australia

Reply #238426 | Report this post

Iluv2ball  
Years ago

Australian Bureau of statistics..... search long and hard...

Reply #238445 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Australian Sports Commission has some great data - full range of dempgraphics.

Reply #238462 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

except that it is based on surveys, not on actual registered participants.

Reply #238511 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Most nation wide stats are!! People who play at school, in school or work competitions, or at their local ring on a weekend arent registered players, meaning registered stats only tell half the story.

Reply #238521 | Report this post

DB99  
Years ago

you dont have to search that hard on ABS website - catalogue number - 4901.0, go to downloads where it has breakdowns for sports, age groups and by gender

Reply #238536 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

well paul, the depends on whether you want to accept the ASC's definition, which is the one I'd be wanting, because it drives funding and planning. For example, the ASC don't recognise Auskick participants, yet the AFL quote them in their numbers, Rugby league do not quote come and try participants however in their numbers.

I am not saying great data is available, I am saying that at best, the ABS stuff is questionable...its the same stuff that tells people every year that swimming is our most popular participant sport, just because you and I dipped our toe in the water at the beach once in a twelve month period.

Reply #238541 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Given that I am talking about the ASC statistics, I would have to agree with you, HO!

Reply #238551 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754