Mantis
Years ago

All Junior Games Postponed - 11-13 June 2009

From SportingPulse:

"Following on from the email yesterday informing clubs about the latest news from the South Australian and Victorian governments about the swine flu alerts, Basketball SA would like to inform all that we have made a decision to postpone all junior district basketball games scheduled for next week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (11, 12, 13 June 2009).

Basketball SA is aware that there are a number of teams that are attending the tournaments in Melbourne this weekend and therefore we need to prepare for the likely outcome that a number of people will be under a self imposed 7-day quarantine (as per the Dept of Health recommendation). Given this, there would be a significant number of teams that may not be able to participate in the scheduled district games.

Whilst we recognize that this decision may inconvenience participants that are not visiting Melbourne, we believe that it is a responsible action for the good of the district basketball community.

Our competitions staff will endeavor to inform everyone of the dates and times for the rescheduling of the postponed games as soon as possible."

Link to original article.

Topic #20096 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Nice one.

Reply #238522 | Report this post

Giraffe 5  
Years ago

will the under 20s/21s games be cancelled also?
or do they not count as juniors?

Reply #238543 | Report this post

wake up  
Years ago

If the government authority, SA Health, are recommending dont travel and a number of schools issuing notices today that it is mandatory not voluntary for 7 days exclusion on returning from Melbourne isnt the responsible action for the good of the district basketball community is for Basketball SA to take a stance and advise SA teams not to travel? When is it responsible to endorse that basketball comes before the health and education of its junior members?

That also goes for the community basketball clubs we are attached to that are sending their junior players to Melbourne inspite of the recommendations and exclusion policies of schools that are in place on return.

Reply #238582 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The federal govt. then slammed that it was unnecessary to take this action. It's a media blow-up gotten out of hand.

Reply #238590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wake up,

The recomendation by SA Health Dept. that students take self imposed 7 day quarantine as labelled bizzare by the VIctorian Govt. may or not be followed by parents. Its their choice.

GIven that many families are already on their way and paid for their trips, why would it be the responsibility of basketball clubs to stop parents and players from going to Melbourne? Can't individuals make their own decisions based on their individual needs/preferences/concerns/beliefs? or do you suggest we become a communist state where we are told what to do and when to do it.

Reply #238593 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My kids schools have rung us at home and sent letters to say they are not welcome at school next week if we go to Melbourne - my kids team pulled out because of this fiasco - my kid and others are understandably upset - but you know what I have lost hundreds of dollars already - so I am taking my kids and I am going to Melbourne for a well earned holdiay, going to the footy on Sunday, Zoo, Aquarium may even fit in Wicked, might even wander down to Dandenong and watch a game or 2 of basketball. It is mass hysteria and I know now that we are living in a Dictatorship when the schools can impose a ban that is supposed to be my choice!!

Reply #238594 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Why penalise the majority for a few?

IMO, if a team cannot present a full team, then a forfeit should result.

Is that too hardline?

Reply #238595 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Oh and PS - the Quest apartments that we booked for the whole team will not refund the 1/2 (of the total bill) deposit that all the families paid. I rang them tonight and asked the questiobn that if they re-booked the rooms out if we would get our money back - short answer NO, but it would be a Management decision but could not see that happening, so I will never again book a QUEST apartment in Melbourne or anywhere else for that matter. Not only that, tried to cancel the Sunday night booking which is the required 48 hours notice - but still told I would be charged for it because it falls under their group bookings policy.....absolutely stinking of pig trotters....

Reply #238596 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No travel insurance on that stuff?

Reply #238598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about U20 games?
Are they still going ahead?

Reply #238664 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

I have just spoken to the CEO of Basketball SA and yes, the postponement affects the U20s and U21s too.

Reply #238719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you can travel to Melbourne and play but at the cost of not playing in S A. Victoria pull the strings of BSA too.

Reply #238724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the schools going to ban any kids who attend the footy in SA when a Vic Team plays there ? My goodness people it is the bloody flu ? Once again, a anti Vic sentiment comming from the highest authority in SA. I hope the schools take up the cost of peoples travelling cancellation bill.

Reply #238747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to do with the schools. It is the Health Dept that issue the advisements. The schools don't enjoy being the H1D1 police.

Reply #238775 | Report this post

H1D1 Police  
Years ago

I know of a few kids who went to Melbourne, stayed home as per the "quarantine" rules but still played school basketball on Saturday morning - quite a few of them wore a double blue uniform!!!

Reply #240306 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mute point now dont you think Mr Policeman!!

Reply #240315 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754