Isaac
Years ago

Cairns: Worthington went back on his word

Not that Wortho or the Tigers needed any more help in their race up the hate-list for rival fans... but this will give them both a boost:

The Taipans have lost the race for the signature of Mark Worthington with the Boomer reneging on an agreement with Cairns and deciding to stay in Melbourne.
... when asked directly if Worthington had backflipped after earlier agreeing to terms with Cairns, incoming Taipans coach Aaron Fearne confirmed the rumours.

"I would say you're correct," Fearne said.

"We definitely had an agreement in place and pretty much were just doing what we needed to do (to make it official) and (he) did a total backflip which was very disappointing.
Full story

Topic #20109 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

I've said for a long time the guy has game but he's got no cred.... nice to see further proof of it on and off the court.

Reply #238812 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Unless this agreement was in writing then Wortho has done nothing wrong, all he has done is given his gmae every chance of improving.

Im definatelty someone who believes you should be able to trust someone on their word and that someones word is all that it should take, but in the NBL is a proffessional environment and therefore, its poor management by Cairns if they did not get the agreement in writing.

Reply #238831 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Wortho is the kind of guy though, who if someone else went back on their word and he was on the receiving end, he'd have a lot to say about it.

Reply #238833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and id say HAHA is the kind of guy who would be happy to come on a website and anonymously stick the boots in to anyone who doesnt agree with him!

Reply #238843 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Anonymously?
I have a screen name buddy- sure you're not referring to yourself!?

Reply #238848 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Woody, I don't think the Cairns management walk around with a blank contract, waiting for superstars to come up and speak to them. If he has said he will sign on, that is the first step for Cairns to get their paperwork in order. If between then and now, Wortho changed his mind, it's a shit thing to do and there isn't much else Cairns could have done to hurry up the actual contract signing.

Reply #238854 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

"Wortho" strikes again. The guy has no redeemable qualities whatsoever.

Reply #238866 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

Well cattalini gave the wildcats his word that he wpould return toperth onlyto re-sign with the 6ers a while back.

Reply #238890 | Report this post

anon a moose  
Years ago

Ok Haha - now I have a screen name - doesnt make much difference though does it.

I stand by my comment that your one of the first to have a go at someone - in this case Worthington - when it suits you and whatever angle your trying to push at the time

Reply #238898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll also find that most players in the NBL all agree that a verbal agreement by way of your agent ringing and asking "do you want to take this contract?" pretty much secures it.

Yes it's not in writing so not the best business practice. BUT the culture of basketball and the most decent basketballers wouldn't do it.

Reply #238901 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Anon the only one here that seems to be taking the facts personally, is you.
I can't help it if you lack credibility in your drivel.
Many of us here disagree with eachother but we don't feel the need to make stupid comments about keeping a running tab of your interpretation of what someone is saying.
Perhaps if you knew some people you'd find much of this common sense.

Reply #238906 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

What difference does it make what HAHA may or may not have said in the past? His opinion of what Wortho has done is spot on.

Reply #238910 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Only Cairns and Worthington really know whether he re-negged on an agreement and if he did he should be ripped. He tears the league's office apart on a well-known radio station. He is as much to blame as any for signing ridiculous contracts knowing full well the clubs cannot afford it. His credibility is almost zilch

Reply #238915 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

In a previous post I mentioned that Wortho was pretty much going to Cairns after he and his expecting partner (who is from there) were making arrangements to move there for a season.
The fact that he has renegged at the last minute and only done so after he got a better offer financially has nothing to do with my well-known opinion of the guy- the facts speak for themselves.
I look forward to the day that he acts with more integrity so that people like anon don't have to cry in their beers about it!

Reply #238916 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The only way he would have been committed to Cairns is if he had signed a contract. Until then he would have been free to do what he wanted regardless of what sort of verbal commitment he made. You can't blame the guy for making a different decision based on a better offer. The only thing I would have suggested to him is to not lead a team on by saying he was going to sign with them but instead stay non committed until you actually sign a contract. He may lack morality but he made a business decision. As far as Johnson's comment "He is as much to blame as any for signing ridiculous contracts knowing full well the clubs cannot afford it." Well the responsibility here lies with the club in making the offer. Whether its true or not, he can say that he has no idea what the club is offering other players and therefore not certain that they will breach the salary cap by making him a ridiculous offer.

Reply #238919 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Wortho's a tool, too bad he 's got mad game. oh well he's just another player I love to hate.

Reply #238952 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Happens every day in the business world - until a player has actually signed the dotted line, then they are entitled to change their mind.

It is almost poor form from Cairns, and shows the learning curve ahead for Aaron Fearne. No point in coming out in the media crying about the situation. It only makes the franchise look amateurish, and might make other FA's think twice before even hinting they are interested in playing for the Taipans.

If you were unemployed, went to a job interview, declared interest in accepting the job 3000kms away, only to receive an offer from a company in the city you are currently living, and then took that second offer - would you expect your crdibility to be attacked?

And its not as if Wortho sneaked out of a contract with Cairns, eg to play OS, but then change his mind and sign with Melbourne. That is poor form, but nothing like what has happended here.

Reply #238953 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Surely though, will all the drama all sides have had with players whinging about their fear of being out of jobs, the reform process, clubs going under and pulling out, you'd think that when a club does offer you a contract you're telling them you're happy with the conditions of and give them a verbal agreement, that you'd not return to your old ways in the blink of an eye- come on.
This isn't just any old season- this is the toughest and most competitive off-court season quite possibly in the history of the League- surely he should show some gratitude and not have such a short selective memory when only 3 weeks ago or so he wanted the world's sympathy?

Reply #238955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with you shin splints, Rookie mistake Fearne, you could ask every coach in the league about the 'one(s) who got away', it's the business of pro sport. Players and their agents will always play clubs off against one another, it is Cairns who went public with it.
Going public with it....bad call. Learn from it Fearne.

HAHA- No question that this is a tough market for players at the moment...it is a buyers market, we all know your personal opinion of Wortho...leave that to the side mate, love him or hate him he is one of the most sort after players in the league.

What did he exactly say to cairns anyway,
Cairns to Wortho/agent -"Yep, that sounds good, let let me speak it over with my agent/client and we will get back to you soon"
In the mean time agents are following up on calls from every other club in the league, Tigers come in with a better offer. Cairns can't compete due to relocation etc...(a sign that the cap is working), Wortho takes the better offer, happen all the time. Most coaches don't bitch to the media about it because they have been in the job for two seconds and they are enjoying the power trip.

Reply #238972 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Actually to answer your question, he didn't say he'd think about it- I don't think Cairns or anybody here would be unimpressed if that were the case- there'd be nothing to defend obviously.
Wortho gave a verbal agreement that he was in.
My personal opinion of him is not up for debate here- I've stuck with the facts of what went on but it seems to be something that others want to tie in with this conversation. (?)

Reply #238973 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Big difference between a verbal agreement to a contract and liking an offer but keeping options open. I doubt Cairns would've gone public had they not been very confident that they had everything but the signature.

Reply #238974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, 'Yep that sounds like a good deal, Send off the contract and we will get the process under way', in the meantime Tigers, someone else weighs in with a better offer, good fortune for Wortho, ask Fearne how much time elapsed from verbal to signing, good coaches would have stayed on him, expressed the deal, what ever it took to get something down on paper.

Reply #238975 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, you're guessing as to what might've been said. I am too, but I just don't think that Cairns would be kicking up a fuss if the situation was more like you've described.

Reply #238983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair call Issac, it's all speculation. I just enjoy the banter.

In Wortho's defence he is probably sick of the unstability, and he sees Cairns as another unstable environment, yeah he gave a verbal, and if it was me, then I would stick to that or I would not agree in the first place.

Head Caoches should take a higher road, what was he trying to achieve when he went to the media? Get him back when it's game on. Or have a long memory, a time will come when Wortho will be happy to play anywhere, then pay back may be a bitch, very few retire on their own terms...

Reply #238986 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why go public? Pre-empt fan criticism of lack of recruitment effort compared to other teams. Partly because they were banking on Worthington!

Reply #238987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are you worried about fan criticism for? You know there is a saying:
"If you start listening to the fans, pretty soon you will be sitting next to them"

Reply #238992 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Err, they're the ones buying season tickets. I'm not saying let them dictate the roster, just that making progress with recruiting is pretty important if you're trying to sign people up to $x00 packages.

Reply #238995 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Do you really think Fearne went to the media? I am sure he was asked to confirm what everyone already knew - Wortho is a grub. I am glad he was honest.

Reply #239029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if every NBL coach told the truth...make for some good reading. Lets hope Fearne continues to tell the truth throughout this season, it may make for an ride...not to mention a few fines...

Reply #239167 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:55 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754