Ranga
Years ago

Officiating Manager - who's applied?

The applications for Officiating Manager closed last Friday. Anybody know who has applied?

Are they looking outside basketball again or will it be someone already involved with basketball or refereeing?

Topic #20140 | Report this topic

filthy mexican  
Years ago

I would guess you applied because anyone who didn't probably wouldn't care about the position.

Reply #239197 | Report this post

Current Ump  
Years ago

I have not applied and I do care about this position which is of the highest imprtance to me and other umpires

So just ignore the thread "you filthy animal"

Reply #239216 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

You would hope they get a basketball person. To many times people come from different sports and dont have that knowledge of basketball and it doesnt work out. Brad Noonan from AFL in the Big V for instance.

I wonder if someone like Chris Clarke will apply. I saw him on the weekend at the classic and he is in charge of the NRDP program in SA from memory.

Reply #239222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame that the guys that should do it and would be best at it won't apply.

Will be interesting to see who gets the job and how long until everyone attacks that person for all the problems of the umpiring world.

Reply #239226 | Report this post

Hood 54  
Years ago

Who should apply, who would be best at it?

Will it take three months for this person to get attacked for not having a magical cure for refereeing.

Reply #239229 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Unfortunately IMO the type of person that would be suitable for the position will not apply. The job description and the hours required (I believe) to adequately fulfill the requirements of the position do not really equate to what Basketball SA is prepared to pay. I don't think Chris Clarke would be interested given his current employment. The job really requires someone who has been a high level referee (and is retired or semi retired) or has a strong understanding of basketball and officiating. Recruiting a person outside of basketball has never really worked. Like it or not basketball officials, are a different breed to other officials.

Reply #239230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Hughes? He would be a good fit.

Reply #239236 | Report this post

6ers Fan  
Years ago

Well he wrote the Job Spec!! But I think he likes looking after the Dome too much. Agree he would do a wonderful job.

Reply #239240 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

What i find interesting about that is i have been involved in Refereeing for 25 years, 19 of them at a decent level and i have never heard of Daniel Hughes

Reply #239241 | Report this post

Ho Chi Mihn  
Years ago

Lol, 25 years at a decent level and never heard of daniel hughes??? Lol mate social isn't a decent level if u've never heard of daniel hughes. He would be the best guy for the job.

Reply #239260 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

What does 19 years at a decent level equal, social ball, church basketball.

I have been involved in refereeing for 15 years at a decent level and never met a Sebastian (think I have reffed at every current Basketball SA stadium except Marion & Mt Barker)

Daniel Hughes is a very decent ABA referee (although doesn't do much anymore) and I am sure he has learnt a lot from his time managing the Dome and could do an excellent job.

Reply #239261 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Well that's because im not from south australia and there is probably a fair chance my name isnt sebastian but you probably worked that out cos your smart!

Reply #239263 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

So you are not from South Australia - that makes your comment even stupider - you have definitely given me a laugh and cheered up my otherwise dull afternoon.

Reply #239285 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

My point Mr Narrow Minded is that he is hardly a household name in refereeing like Michael Butler, Geoff Weeks, Phil Haines, Caroline Tsakalos, Andrew Filmer or even Wayne Maidment to name but a few of your past and presnt NBL referees. Others here have said he is/was a decent ABA ref. Well i have never seen him on a Mt Gambier SEABL game and that's where half your decent refs go to get decent games as your ABL is terrible.

Thus its actually your remark that has put a smile on my face as he clearly doesnt have that great a profile other than in hicksville SA. Thus, it brings me to the conclusion that as he never got out of the SA ABL ranks he obviously wasnt that good.

Reply #239288 | Report this post

Grrrr  
Years ago

Sebastian, before you go any further, and with out knowing any circumstances re Daniel's reffing, do me a favour and shut your mouth!He may have had to cut short his promising refereeing career because of HEALTH or FAMILY or WORK....You can not assume he "wasn't that good" if you do not know him.
He is highly respected here in our basketball community.
Think before you type... and do us all a huge favour and stay in whatever other state your in:)

Reply #239293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sebastian have you even read the job description?

Reply #239295 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Yes i have basically its a state based version of Bruce Keirs role at BA or the equivilant of Bill Mildnehall's role at Basketball Victoria.

Reply #239298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And nothing to do with ABA or NBL so why do we need a NBL referee to do the job?

Reply #239299 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

To carry out the job descritpion i would expect the person to have a high level grasp of refereeing not just management. How are you going to instruct your referees or evaluators in your high performance programs if you dont have an elite grasp of the craft.

Reply #239300 | Report this post

Years ago

A SA based Nbl official has applied for the position and would be ideal, also heard a aba official has applied but he was not succesful last time and currently works part time in another bsa role

Reply #239332 | Report this post

Statsmen  
Years ago

I guess that would be Ben MacDonald. He has only been on the NBL for 1 season and still is arrogant and has not one iota of humility. Perhaps as Officiating Manager he may actually realise that the game is not about him!!!

Reply #239335 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Sebastian - its not just about instructing referees it is about making sure you have people that can instruct referees ie Manager. There are quite a few very knowledgeable referee educators available in the state that volunteer their time to develop referees. Sadly none of them would apply as they have higher paying jobs and they are more than happy educating referees in their free time. Probably never did the SEABL games because he didn't want to drive down to your Hicksville. Just remember its Referee Manager not Referee Educator

Statsman - that arrogance will definitely prevent Ben from getting the job once again.

I would personally like to see either Phil Haines or Nathan Weiland both seem to do a reasonable job at SRDP

Reply #239378 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Bluey, clearly your not up with Mt Gambier and South Australian referees. They are flown in and have been for a long long time. Plus, Mt Gambier is in South Australia so its your hicksville not mine.

You might want to go back and have a look at what i wrote. I stated the person would need a grasp of the craft as well as management skills!!!! You can be the best manager in the world but if you dont have a decent knowledge of the craft you arent going to be on the same page as your high performance programs are you.

Preferably your high performance programs will filter down to your lower programs that are association based rather than the representative referee schemes. SRDP/NRDP.

I find it interesting though that the 2 names you throw up are both NBL referees. Which was my point in the first place regarding someone of an elite nature.

Reply #239380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The person who gets this job needs to be able to manage refereeing people, scoretable people and statisticans.

They also need to have an understanding of the game and how officials work within the game.

The person needs a passion for grassroots basketball and in particular grassroots refereeing.

Lastly they need to be able to work with all the various associations, clubs and recreation centres to build refereeing education programs and referee numbers.

Nowhere in the job description is there a need to be a NBL referee, or in fact a referee of any level.

Reply #239384 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Well who better to understand how referees work within the game than a referee!!! What a silly thing to say that you dont need to be a referee. And an NBL or senior ABA referee would have a greater knowledge than a domestic referee.

Considering in the job description it states:

The successful applicant should be able to demonstrate: Officiating experience

I'd suggest that being a referee or had refereeing experience would be a requirement.

Its very hard to build a referee education program if you dont have an understanding of how referees work and go about their trade. heck most of the coaches and players arent even aware that referees break the court up inot 6 areas and which areas are their primary responsibility when the ball is in certain areas etc.

I would suggest a person with some form of profile within the sports refereeing culture would be benefitial to South Australian basketball in this area. Why do i say this?

Lets take BA as an example. Im sure that Bruce Keirs who is now the Referees Development Manager doesnt command the same respect in the role as Bill Mildenahll did when he was in the role. Both Nationally and internationally because for the simple fact Bill is a well known referee in both areas and has refereed at the elite level for a long period of time.

Brad Noonan on a different level went to the Big V from Carlton FC and didnt command the same respect as Laurie because he had no concept of basketball.

So in my opinion and it is only my opinion i think it would be in there best interest to try and attract someone who has an elite grasp of refereeing. Why? Becasue they have come from the grassroots. They understand what worked in the past and didnt. They understand what its like to be the rookie or ref your first A grade game etc. They understand the referee process. etc etc. The experiences that they have gone through throughout their career can only help thenm relate to referees at all levels. As the job description relates from grass roots to high performance.

Reply #239404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at the direction of other sports. They're employing ex coaches to manage referees and the direction of officiating in their sport.

AFL is a perfect example of that. NBL is another example. The best development of referees at NBL level happened when the League appointed a former coach to the role of Referee Manager.

Being a current referee means you bring with you personal baggage and your own clicks which would work very much against someone from within being able to bring everyone together.

Reply #239410 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The job description asks for officiating experience???????

Reply #239412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sebastian can't find anywhere where it says that.

What it does say is "Umpiring or officiating experience is desirable."

Reply #239414 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Maybe you should read it again

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/index.php?id=16

The successful applicant should be able to demonstrate: Officiating experience

Its there in black and white

Reply #239418 | Report this post

Over qualified  
Years ago

Nathan Wieland
Andrew Filmer
Phil Haines
Geoff Weeks
Michael Butler
Benn Mcdonald
Michael Headland
John Beames

These are the past and present Nbl officials I can think of and they would all have the ability to do this job, and do it well.

I think having the basketball and umpiring backgrounds plus being involved from an early age through to the highest level would give them the understanding, knowledge and skills to get the most out of current umpires and also an ability to generate new umpires who have the desire to do well.

Unfortuently I would say all of these would earn more and have more job stability in there current employment.

Maybe Daniel would end up being the best candidate other than maybe neil bridgeman....

Reply #239422 | Report this post

good gracious  
Years ago

Howard Nixon?

Reply #239444 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

This won't be overly constructive... but please not Phil Haines. Personally he's a nice enough guy but... just no.

Reply #239468 | Report this post

good gracious  
Years ago

Greg Love?

Reply #239471 | Report this post

Love it  
Years ago

I never got "screwed" in my life until Greg Love reff'd my games.

Apollo was his playground

Got screwed more than I could imagine.

Reply #239493 | Report this post

woop woop  
Years ago

i think Wayne Maidment can add to the list "over qualified"

Reply #239498 | Report this post

over qualified  
Years ago

not sure how I forgot Wayne. I luv Wayne x

Reply #239501 | Report this post

Statsmen  
Years ago

I heard that the interviews were tonight. Wonder who was on the Interview Panel? Wonder how many they interviewed?

Reply #239502 | Report this post

woop woop  
Years ago

they will have a variety of different people on the panel i would think. not just retired officials. depending on how many people applied will result in how many they interviewed

Reply #239516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interviews were held last night. Range of people applied including ABA refs, administrators and one or two coaches.

Selection panel was completely independant but included one semi active referee who's also a member of the BSA Commission.

Most of the names listed above did not apply however and therefore were not considered for the job.

Whoever takes on the role will need support from not only BSA and referees but also the wider basketball community. Unfortunately I doubt that will happen.

Reply #239524 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:40 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754