tiger111
Years ago

Blaze not interested in Whitehead

Gold Coast Blaze MVP Luke Whitehead believes he is ready to `tear the league up' after spending the off-season training with NBA conditioners in the United States.

The star American import -- who carried the Coast's NBL side last year with inspirational captain James Harvey -- won the player of the year award, but remarkably is not wanted by the club this year.

An honest Whitehead warned the Blaze they risked failure if they did not use all of the $1 million salary cap.

Topic #20184 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

They've signed three forwards who have the potential to start - I don't think Whitehead is getting the message. It's not about going cheap or not spending the cap, they're just not interested.

Reply #239841 | Report this post

NBL  
Years ago

Whitehead isn't that good. Just a hustler with no jumper. Petrie will easily replicate his numbers and is more versatile along with Vukona. Blaze are going to do fine.

Reply #239843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can we have him?

Reply #239844 | Report this post

hood95  
Years ago

Whitehead finished the year in the top 3 for rebounds in the NBL and averaged 16 points. That's not good enough for the blaze yet old Pero and Demos are among the first signed... it seems a bit rough to sack the MVP.

Reply #239847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Their defensive player of the year was Daniel Joyce. I wouldn't pay much attention to their season awards!

Reply #239851 | Report this post

rapper  
Years ago

Whitehead is the only good thing going for the Blaze, not only can he play but they play his music videos at the game. He even made a song about the Blaze, the NBL needs personalities like this.

He killed it the last few games.

Reply #239874 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You would think someone would sign him. Perfect fit for Adelaide alongside Burston and Ballinger. Fans in Wollongong would love him too, and his toughness would allow Tragardh to play centre and not be exposed as much.

Reply #239875 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I knew Blaze weren't going to sign him but I actually think he's quite good- a little surprised he hasn't already been snapped up to be honest and a good personality off the court.
Are the Sixers interested?

Reply #239886 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Question is though HAHA why do you think they were not going to sign him and why didnt they. . Sixers could sign a lot worse than him. Rather see Aust content signed up then look at imports

Reply #239925 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Joey was quick to pounce on the existing players in the league that he wanted to pick up and when Whitehead and Bowen weren't being pursued I knew Joey had other plans, plus he said the other day he's still looking for 2-3 game winners.
I think Whitehead's good but just not what Blaze happen to be looking for, for whatever reason.

Reply #239933 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think general consensus is that he's not quite as good as the stats suggest. He deserves praise for not giving up when his team stunk and was anchored at the bottom of the ladder, but I think you'd think twice about picking him as a major part of a contender.

I have no idea why people think Adelaide might be interested in him at all?! You would take Dusty (naturalised and doubt he'd be more expensive) instead if you were considering doubling up on pricey PFs.

Reply #239943 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754