Astor
Years ago

Cambage to Bulleen

This is probably old news for some, but future Opals star Liz Cambage has up and left the 'tute and is headed to the Bulleen Boomers for the 09/10 season.

Major competition between the Boomers, Sydney and Dandy for her [mums] signiature, but good to see that sense prevailed and she's going back to her home state to play for the best coaching line up in the competition and with the most cohesive team unit in the competition.
Give her a year or two with Maher, Timms and Fox; the Opals future is looking bright eh.

Topic #20194 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

As her Junior Association I'd imagine Dandy would be a little upset about this.

From memory she played WNBL with the Rangers before going to the 'tute as well.

Either way I'll be much happier seeing her in a Boomers uniform then a Flames one.

Reply #239927 | Report this post

jooje  
Years ago

can she dunk?

Reply #239929 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

This is interesting to me. Given the AIS womens program play in WNBL anyway, its not as though she is stepping up in the level of competition, in fact you could say its stepping down as she may not get quiet as much international exposure that other AIS athletes get. The AIS would of provided constant day to day high level coaching and training, something that you will not get elsewhere. I think the best explanation for this is that she was simply homesick?

Reply #239942 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

"...its not as though she is stepping up in the level of competition" - Fairly sure there is a huge difference in competition level between playing for the tute and playing for a legitimate team.

She could either be playing for the woeful AIS group surrounded by a bunch of girls who have no idea how to feed her the ball properly, or playing for an already successful team where you'll be getting the ball wherever you want, whenever you want it by a very talented and poised backcourt...

But i'd have to agree with you, that she probably did get homesick. Either that or she got sick of having to abide by the AIS's underaged played policies.. aha

Reply #239946 | Report this post

Agreed  
Years ago

Woody she wont miss any international experience. The tute go on one trip a year and non-AIS athletes usually go also (Tippett gone on this trip) and she will be making some Opals trips as she has already done.
She is leaving the Tute to make sure she makes money more than anything and why not because she is going to have a career in bball from here on. Was always going to go to a Vic team as she is needing to be hear her Mum for sure, not homesick as much as needs a bit of babying.
Tute certainly not what it is cracked up to be and she would have left earlier except for the Worlds in July. Plenty of others will leave once Gems team announced. Not a good culture there and hopefully new coach can change it for the next lot coming through.

Reply #239961 | Report this post

jooj  
Years ago

just wondering if anybody know can she actually get up there and slam, or or if nott how close is she getting?

Reply #239969 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

jooj, she can touch the backboard with absolute minimal effort, but she's got no real spring in her knees.

She can't dunk.

Reply #239970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who else will be leaving this year at the AIS?

Reply #239992 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Must say reading this bought a smile to my face. As a long time Bulleen supporter I'd considered Cambage about the best raw talent I've seen coming out of the AIS since Taylor/Batkovic/Jackson.

I think she was completely under-developed at the AIS - really used as a battering ram & a decoy - must have been a real frustrating time for someone so young.

Boomers would have to start favourite as Champions this season - the Bulleen frontline of Cambage, Penaluna, Hammonds is one of the most formidable of all time.

Well done to Mr Maher!

Reply #241100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754