Loco
Years ago

ESPN: Kobe '09: Change we can believe in?

ESPN article by Bill Simmons.

June 16th, 2009.

Kobe '09: Change we can believe in?

First of all, the above is not a short read, so you'll need some time up your basketball loving sleaves.

Secondly, for whatever reason, I'm not overly polarized by Kobe as most everyone else seems to be. I don't love the guy or hate the guy. Rather, I'm slightly fascinated with his persona, talent and the associated analysis / takes on him.

The article goes a little beyond the all too frequent "He rules / he sucks" diatribes, so I'm keen to hear what people think of the various angles presented.

Topic #20205 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Cheers for the link ill have a read when I have time!

You weren't wrong about it not being a short read though! :P

Reply #240045 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I like his game, respect that he wins, but I always feel like he is putting on a show for the cameras? ie the grimace (if you call it that) after every tough shot he hit in the last series..

Reply #240053 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ similar to Simmons' take, the way I read it.

Reply #240058 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

If you mean my post Loco, nah, have not read Simmons' yet, will do in the morning. Is he saying the same?

Again, like I said, Kobe has awesome game, and gets the job done.

Reply #240059 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Yeah - he mentions the grimmace and camera show quite a bit. Makes it all sound heavily contrived. At the same time, he points out why Kobe is amongst the greats of all time - just for reasons different to those usually offered.

Reply #240061 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ah oops, now I see. That is a weird look that grimace thing..lol.

Looking forward to having a read, cheers for the link..

Reply #240063 | Report this post

Jesus  
Years ago

I love Simmons best writer gives a HONEST AND CORRECT OPINION also humorous!

Reply #240101 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Thanks Loco.

Another quality article by one of the best deep thinking writers of the NBA.

He certainly reminds us of how unbelievably durable Kobe has been over the past 2 years, playing every single regular season and playoff game plus the Olympics at an incredibly high level. That is truly remarkable and a testament to Kobe's work ethic and conditioning.

I'm with Loco about how I feel about Kobe. I don't love him, I don't hate him but I certainly admire his ability and find myself comparing him with Jordan. I am also fasincated by his ability to polarise people with many basketball fans absolutely hating him. If you've read Phil Jackson's book, "The Last Season: A Team in Search of Its Soul", then you come away from that book thinking Kobe is an absolute tool and a spoilt brat. But then you can't help but marvel watching his skills on the court.

Finally, I like this comparison Simmons gives between Kobe and Jordan.

"They might compare statistically and stylistically, but Jordan could command a room of 10 people or 20,000 and get the exact same reaction: Every set of eyes trained on him for as long as he was there. His personality, his charisma, his aura, his passion ... indescribable. Like nothing I have ever seen. Nobody remembers this now because he hasn't played in awhile, but Jordan was always the coolest guy in the room. Without fail."

Reply #240108 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I loved the description of a married couple, so true. I saw that part in game 2 where Kobe missed a shot where he should have passed at crucial time, then came back to the bench and punched a chair. Phil had this funny look of amusement on his face. Not many coaches could handle Kobe like that.

Agreed, I didn't really think of how ridiculous the last 2 years have been for Kobe. He was awesome in the crunch for USA at the olympics, and has played at such a high level at all times: 2 finals, 1 ring, 1 MVP, 1 finals MVP.

I think the reason why people don't like him heaps is Kobe isn't the kind of guy you would hang out with if he wasn't good at ball. And it seems like he has no friends anyway, just his family and his agent.

Reply #240131 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754