billo
Years ago

How did we even get close? - stats analysis

Looking at the stats for the Cairns game I'm struggling to see how we were within 2 at the end.

FG% - 43% sixers 42% cairns
pretty much even.

Steals blocks and turnovers all netted off against each other to within 1, so again, pretty much even.

Then the big ones, Taipans win the rebound count 52-42 and the foul count 26-11!!!

We won the assists 20-13 but that's really more a guage of how the points are scored than how many are scored, and how much possession each team had.

9 threes at 50% vs 6 at 22% was in our favour, as was foul shooting, but just looking at the box score straight up I couldn't beleive we were as close as we were.

No mention in the write up on NBL.com of the game being tanked, it'll take the courage of one B Nagi to bring the truth to the masses. Out of interest Isaac, if the same thing happened at the Dome would you make reference to the tanking in your report for the Sixers site?

Topic #2022 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Billo, probably not. I don't think it would be my call in that forum (as in that site, not the specific forum) to make that judgement and I've always tried to keep the focus on the positive performances.

I would bet that the public report from Phil (on radio with KG/Cornesy) and probably from Boti too will be that he just rested the starters and let the game fall either way as the fitness of key players would be more important than the result.

Whether you call an indifferent approach to be the equivalent of throwing a game, would be personal judgement. It's going to affect an Adelaide fan who bet on their team, and I don't think it's great for any crowd to see (even if they won) -- if the team doesn't care, why should the crowd?

That said, Phil Smyth knows what he's doing and his big target right now is taking the team to the championship. He'd know that "resting players" is an easy and ultimately defensible name for what happened (whether they lost it on purpose or just weren't overly bothered with the result and gave the bench a chance to see if they could win it).

Reply #22801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754