Isaac
Years ago

Gems U19 team named for World Champs

Well done to the SA reps:

Elizabeth CAMBAGE / Dandenong / Victoria / AIS
Stephanie CUMMING / Dandenong / Victoria / AIS (Captain)
Bree FARLEY / Kadina / South Australia / AIS
Kerryn HARRINGTON / Bendigo / Victoria / AIS
Jillian HAUGHTON / Mackay / Queensland / AIS
Kelsey IRELAND / Kadina / South Australia / AIS
Rachel JARRY / Dandenong / Victoria / AIS
Ashleigh KARAITIANA / City of Sydney / New South Wales / AIS
Alice KUNEK / Eltham / Victoria / AIS
Rosie MOULT / Nunawading / Victoria / AIS
Tess MADGEN / Eastern Mavericks / South Australia / AIS
Gretel TIPPETT / Miami / Queensland

Head Coach: Dean Kinsman
Assistant Coach: Dale Waters, Sandy Tomley
Team Manager: Trudy Pearce
Doctor: Dr. Larissa Trease
Physiotherapist: Ebonie Scase

Topic #20255 | Report this topic

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Who knew Kadina was the home of womens basketball in SA

Reply #240726 | Report this post

basketball  
Years ago

WHAT IS DEAN KINSMAN THINKING???

Reply #240732 | Report this post

kadina  
Years ago

Most noticeable absence would be Kate Gaze.

Reply #240747 | Report this post

Flinders 11  
Years ago

I thought Farley was from Sturt. Might live in Kadina but...

Reply #240748 | Report this post

pulse  
Years ago

jarry in form - tippett will be the next big thing.

Reply #240749 | Report this post

shhh  
Years ago

is kate gaze still injured?

Reply #240751 | Report this post

south australia  
Years ago

Kate Gaze is just coming back for injury, but would be ok for worlds. Her experience at this level is invaluable, as this team is a young and inexperienced team. She will be greatly missed. Disappointing to see.

Reply #240759 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

If she has been injured, how can anybody be sure she will be fully fit by tournament time.

From all accounts the rest of the team would rather her not there anyway. Thinks she is better than she is, and is too negative to her team mates.

Reply #240772 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Just some random thoughts from somebody who saw most of these girls play either in Townsville or at Adelaide.

Does Dean have no faith in the bigs he had or are they just sick and tired of his coaching? Only one genuine big in this group and she could be injured at any time given her history (though to be fair she has remained healthy for a while now). Whether she can stay on the court is another question altogether.

Next big off the rank is a bottom-bottom-bottom age player who while being incredibly athletic, is also pretty light. Then its on to the endless line of reasonably-sized, reasonably-skilled players in 5'11 - 6'1" bracket. Nobody there to light things up from what I've seen.

Can't argue with the selections too much but would question why players such as Ebzery, Rowe and Oliver have walked away from the program, others such as Joy, Gaze and Kleeman have been overlooked or marginalised. Know nothing about the world standard but I'm not optimistic about the chances of this group. Sincerely hope I'm wrong and they have great tournament.

3 players who are eligible for the 2011 Worlds - is that promising for 2011 or ominous for 2009?

Reply #240783 | Report this post

Grote 35  
Years ago

Ankles,

So you would not know that they just beat the French team on their last tour and that they are the current European champs.

Would be easy to suggest that those players you mention above all come from a program where they didn't get pushed or challenged to improve, now that they have, they have pulled the pin.

Bad coaching by Dean, or soft approach by previous coaches and programs?

Reply #240795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the french team they played were the U18 team so not the team they will be playing at worlds. there are also 4 players eligible for the 2011 worlds.

Reply #240811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really; I think your on the wrong track about the player/s who are the destabilisers because supposedly they're in this team.
Most of the criticism I have heard about Dean relates to real or imagined favouritism and it revolved around both his AIS selections and who he gave time to from that group.

Reply #240821 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Who is the fourth?

Grote 35 - Not having a go at anyone - just posing some questions. BUT.... if these players (the leavers, left out, overlooked) were up to standard to be brought into the program (most were), does that mean Dean is only able to develop players who respond to his style (as all coaches have particular styles which work better with some players than others).

In another sphere, Charlie Walsh achieved remarkable results with his 'crash or crash through' approach but one wonders how many world-class cyclists crashed along the way while another approach might have fostered their talent.

Is this a reasonable question to ask in response to your suggestion that the leavers weren't up to Dean's demands?

Reply #240845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrington, Haughton, Karaitiana and Tippett

Reply #240849 | Report this post

Grote 35  
Years ago

Often players are selected on potential, and it is 18 months of effort and the ability to improve through a change in behaviour that matters, maybe they weren't able to consistantly change their behaviour enough.

Some of those player you mentioned above where involved in an incident at U18 Nationals. Hardly the behaviour anybody would want to see for somebody representing Australia. And some of them had multiple issues, not just on court.

That doesn't mean that some of those players selected are angels, but that if you aren't selected, having issues makes it hard for you to complain.

Secondly, I doubt that many players, if any, deal with the unique issues the AIS holds. Constant coaching makes it hard for ALL kids. Especially when those players have been the big fish all their lives.

I'm not suggesting that Dean is any way a my "way or the highway" type. From what i've heard and seen of him, he has been fairly middle in situations. (could have gone harder in some situations even)

Just that coming out of association type play into Australian team situations, players often don't deal well if they struggle. They can get away with it at lower levels because the coach needs them so badly to win they leave it go. But get to this level, they must be able to give the coach what they want. If they don't, and somebody else does. Who do you choose? I would shoose the kid who does what I ask!

As much as people see NG as too tough, it seems SA kids never struggle with the coaching at the AIS, and often it could be said that it helps them make the National junior teams instead. Some states under previous ITC HC have had numerous issues.

Reply #240866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grote, that's a load of the proverbial.You have to be the right SA kid not to struggle and several kids have had it tough and never got the exposure they warranted.

Reply #240878 | Report this post

Grote 35  
Years ago

in "your opinion" anonomous.

Reply #240957 | Report this post

surprised  
Years ago

Really; you have no idea about kate gaze; or the team. Just let the girls be for gods sake.

Good luck to them, i hope they do well. Just wish people would stop scruitinising and just wish them luck!!

Reply #241093 | Report this post

nothing  
Years ago

Were Kate Gaze and Ebzery eligible for this yrs worlds?

Reply #241468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surprised: Basketball could stand a lot more scrutiny - not less!

Reply #241477 | Report this post

Agree  
Years ago

Gaze not selected, Ebzery choose not to be part of it about a year ago. Mainly due to unhappy with coacihng situation so wanted to look at other options, e.g. playing WNBL for another team and focus on that.

Reply #241490 | Report this post

nothing  
Years ago

I knew ebzery left AIS, but if she was still eligible you would figure she would want to go to worlds??

Gaze must be pretty shattered losing her spot

Reply #241491 | Report this post

amanda jones  
Years ago

241477 its not the kids that need scrutinizing as they didn't select themseleves! Its the coaching, the favours owed, the favourites there etc... hopefully Phil Brown will bring some sense.

Of course Gaze is shattered and people should pay attention to what happened with Ebzery she wasn't part of this group that people don't rate yet she has pretty much walked away from the sport...Why?

Reply #241506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebzery is a great kid, hard working and extremely competitive , she dominated OZ 14s and 16s as one of those unique and very rare players - a point forward. In fact she was a point power forward ( the first I had every seen), too quick for the true big, too strong and tall for the classical guard, and usually too smart with her court vision , movement and passing for either.

But once in the senior ranks, and the growth spurt over, she seemed to struggle to still be productive - a unique junior player skill set usually requires a unique skill set development to cope with the different demands of senior competition.

Once she did not make 188+cms, She was never going to be a point forward in the senior game, just as dean Templeton was never going to be a dominant center or Lachlan Armfield a dominate shooting guard in seniors, Dean could not make the transition to a small forward, Armfield could not make the transition to a point guard ( even with a NBL rookie of the year award).

I hope she stays with the sport and get the time to develop into her role. penny Taylor was no obvious world beater when she graduated from the AIS, she did that for herself later - but that's another storey.

Reply #242079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls are in Thailand now. Just wanted to say good luck and go hard. Hopefully Dean will do the right thing by the team and himself!

Reply #244106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754