TR
Years ago

Deal denied: Rondo, Allen for Prince, Rip, Stuckey

Well, it appears the first mega deal for the new NBA has been discussed and turned down.

The Celtics offered Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen to the Pistons for Rodney Stuckey, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.

Sort of a weird proposal all round. I think the two best players are Rondo and Prince. So then it becomes Hamilton and Stuckey for Ray. If the Pistons wanted more cap space in 2010, I could see it. I don't think Ray is probably on the same level as Hamilton and Rondo is definitely better than Stuckey, but is he more valuable than Stuckey and Prince?

If the trade went down, I'm not sure who would of won the trade.

Topic #20268 | Report this topic

lethal5  
Years ago

These are just rumours according to Hoopshype. Rondo says it's not true & doesn't think the Celtics are shopping him around. Rumours like this are always put out there in the lead up to the draft.

I can't see the Celtics trading a 23 year old point guard on the verge of becoming an All*Star.

Reply #240912 | Report this post

nickyg  
Years ago

Had it happened i think Boston would have had the win & Dumars should have been sacked. He would have completely dismantled the most successful era in Pistons history. Trading Billups for Iverson was a joke! They've gone from an Eastern conference champion (or top 2) & win 50+ a year to mediocre.

Reply #240916 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

would've been incredibly stupid for the Pistons.

Reply #240917 | Report this post

piston  
Years ago

wouldnt be incredibly stupid as pistons are looking to sign big name free agents in 2010 free agent period and ray ray would give them 20 mil coming off the books, combine that with a.i and sheeds contracts this year they could prosibly get two big name players

Reply #240920 | Report this post

Jesus  
Years ago

If you think about it although it is just a rumour (most likey a bunch of bs) it could have worked out nicely for the pistons.
A. They get rondo who will be AWESOME FOR THEM
B. Allen has an expiring contract if they do not win with him they can get rid of him but still there would need to have been another player or two but still NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!!!

Reply #240921 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Read about this...didn't buy it for a second.

Its absurb how many rumours get created this time of year, I just ignore most of them.

Reply #240927 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Eh this reeks of a typical Danny Ainge move, make a lowball offer to another team which is unrealistic (if Detroit say yes you take the deal and run), grab everyone elses attention a few days before Draft Day, and watch the media hype and rumours go out of control leaving a state of confusion.

On the other hand I can kind of see why it would be a tempting to make a move.. Rondo's value is at a current all time high and is due for a pricey contract extension next season... Ray Allen is a massive expiring contract. No harm exploring available options and trying to extend the championship window. I think a healthy Celtics team as it currently stands with a few decent bench additions will be better next season compared to a team missing 2 players from the original starting 5.

Reply #240933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is bullshit it is clearly a rumour...
Celtics wouldn't trade rondo for anyone ( ok maybe someone like chris paul, lebron or jkobe)

Reply #240965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually think it would have been a particularly good move for Detroit and Boston.

Are Detroit winning with what they have now? No.
Are Detroit overpaying for Rip/Prince? Yes.
Would Detroit win with Allen/Rondo? Not really.
Would it clear Detroits cap space for 2010? Yes.
Would Detroit have a better PG to build around? Yes.
Would Detroit getting a better pick in next years draft? Yes.

Would Boston lose by having Rip instead of Ray? Minimal.
Does Ainge need to keep the Celts up after trading away their entire future to win a ring? Yes.
Would there be enough pieces to ensure they stay relevant? Yes.
Would Rip/Prince fit into the Celts Championship window? Yes.

With the impending retirements of KG/Pierce/Rip all about the same time, they could rebuild around Stuckey, as they would have to with Rondo.

This isn't as cut and dry as it may seem, wouldnt have been bad for either. Detroit in the short term loses, but long term they win.

Reply #240978 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The Rondo offer has been confirmed as genuine, but the Pistons knocked it back straight away.

Apparently Rondo is causing major issues in the locker room and the C's want to move him, but at the right price.

Reply #240990 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Who confirmed is was legit?

Reply #241037 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

hayden skipworth.

Reply #241038 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

'Apparently Rondo is causing major issues in the locker room and the C's want to move him, but at the right price.'

Says who? Seriously...

Reply #241041 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There have been articles in the past where Rondo's attitude has caused concern, but I think it basically a media hype. There is a different between being an a-hole, having a confident swagger and being a locker room cancer. I personally think he has the swagger.

http://linky.com.au/i5j27

http://linky.com.au/uw1vb

http://linky.com.au/jubvy

I think given the fact that ESPN, Yahoo Basketball, Real GM, Hoopsworld etc etc are reporting it, then I believe that it was more than some BS rumour.

Reply #241046 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Danny Ainge has constantly said its BS and not happening. Not trading the core at all. Thats good enough for me. Especially seeing as this rumour was first posted on those yahoo sports/hoopshype type sites. Don't get me wrong I read them and love them as much as anyone but come on...

I read 20+ Raptors rumours on various sites a day and as much as they get me thinking and excited, I don't think I've seen one come true. Ones that do come true (JO trade, Marion trade etc) are threads started with sources that are creditable...and this trade idea has not had any.

Reply #241054 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think Ainge has been around long enough not to publically come and and say he's shopping his star PG. He doesn't want to be short changed or have teams annoying him with sh*t deals.

If the right deal came along then, like 99% of other players in the league, Rondo is gone. I don't believe he's an 'untouchable'.

Reply #241060 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And the biggest argument for trading Rondo is that you're offloading him while his stock is high.

Reply #241078 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Sorry guys - I shouldn't have used the "C" word without explanation. I listened to the BS Report today. Now, I do get the irony of relying on a report called 'BS', but Simmons (who is the biggest C's fan around and knows just about everything happening in Boston had heard from several sources that Detroit had been approached and Rondo was being shopped for the right deal.

I mentioned in another thread that a trade with the Spurs for Parker might eventuate. Simmons discussed that both teams might be interested in that scenario and the C's in particular.

Simmons also discuused that Rondo's chemistry issues were well known in Boston circles and has caused enough of a problem that the C's were looking to move a guy that nearly averaged a triple double in the playoffs.

On that basis, I'd say that there is truth to the rumour.

Reply #241091 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754