Isaac
Years ago

Bucks trade RJ to Spurs for Bowen, Thomas, Oberto

The Milwaukee Bucks agreed to trade Richard Jefferson to the San Antonio Spurs for Bruce Bowen, Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto, a Bucks source told ESPN.com.
Full story

The Bucks' reasons for the trade are largely financial, says the article.

Andrew Bogut on Twitter:
Sad to see RJ go. He was a fun guy to be around and could play. We are building for the future, slow and steady. Patience grasshopper.

Topic #20270 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

This is a great trade for the Bucks. Should give them enough money to resign Sessions and possibly CV.

Also gives the Bucks some interior defence and a bruiser.

Reply #240928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How good are trades? I don't really care who goes where, just that things get mixed up.

In a virtual world, there should be an NBA and NBL where, at the start of each season, they randomly shuffle players (but such that each team has at least a couple of players at each position), and then play on. And it'd be great, except for that freak year it accidentally resulted in Wade/Kobe/LBJ/Bosh/Yao being on the same team.

Reply #240929 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

This is a great trade for the Spurs. Gives them a potential line up of:

PARKER/HILL
MASON/GINOBILI
JEFERSON/FINLEY
BONER
DUNCAN

ESPN are reporting that the Bucks have released Bowen and Oberto, so perhaps they head straight back to the Spurs. If they can manage to sign Sheed for the MLE they are looking dangerous. Bucks get what they want... cap space and under the luxury tax. Personally I don't think they can attract good free agents next year regardless so I see it more as cost cutting. I expect to see teams in solid financial positions 'take advantage' of those who aren't in this trade period.

Reply #240931 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Agreed... how good are trades! Can't wait to see the trades on draft night.

Great trade for the spurs. A blue chipper for some role players. And like TC said, they may come straight back anyway. If the spurs can get a decent free agent too, they could be close to favourites this season.

I'd be pretty disappointed as a bucks fan this year, though. They are now officially rebuilding, and probably will be for a few years.

Reply #240935 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

How many more seasons do Bowen and Thomas have left in them though? I would have thought they were nearing the end of their careers. I could be wrong though.

Reply #240936 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Wow - as a Spurs fan, I'm very happy with that trade. Gives the Spurs a genuine scorer to compliment the Big 3, and with Duncan slowing it will make a huge difference. Ginobili can now be a genuine 6th man, the role he has excelled in over the past 2-3 seasons.

Bowen might come back, might not. He's 36 and has lost the speed to be the stopper he once was. still has value as a savvy veteran that can play well in limited minutes.

Apparently Oberto's back is stuffed. I'd be surprised to see him back.

Thomas needs to be replaced. Will depend on how much cap space the Spurs have I suppose?

Reply #240937 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Jefferson is good but not great at this point. Was very good on the break for the Nets, with help from Jason Kidd in his prime. Can he produce in an environment with more of a shoot first point guard? TD is still the main focus for SA in the half court offense, so he will have to create his own shot, as a second/third option. Im not sold on this being as good a trade.

RIP Milwaukee nontheless, rebuilding. Out of curiousity, who was the last big time player they picked up, besides the draft? Any player who is offered a couple of financial options with teams, is choosing the Bucks as a last option.

Reply #240942 | Report this post

D.Rose#1  
Years ago

Win/Win.

Jefferson isnt that good but his weaknesses will be covered just like they were in NJ.

Bucks manage to dump a crap contract.

Reply #240947 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Really ... if someone says to you "we have four offers on the table, all the same money ... you have to choose between Miami, Los Angeles, New York and Milwaukee" ... you're not going to brew-town. Bogut needs to get out of there if he wants to taste success!

Reply #240948 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Good point - maybe Bobby Simmons, who signed a multi-year deal with Milwaukee for around 40 mill/5 years?

Milwaukee is not seen as an attractive FA destination, obviously.

Reply #240949 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Kobe24 - my measure of a good trade is whether it improves the team. Oberto is done, Bowen will be back and Thomas is replaceable (and needs to be).

Spurs needed another scorer to cover a declining Duncan. Jefferson averaged 19.5, 4.5 and 2.5 last year on a bad team. He's the real deal, and the Spurs have basically decided to make one last run at the title in the 'Duncan Era' before going through a painful rebuilding.

Spurs might not be done yet - anyone else think a Parker for Rondo deal might work? Celts are genuinely shopping Rondo and the only reason must be locker room issues. He was clearly their best player in the playoffs. I'd be happy with that move.

Makes me think that this type of trade would have been great after the 2007 championship season when Bowen had more value.

Reply #240950 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Pop would be a great coach for Rondo, who seems to show major glimpses of immaturity. Didnt Doc tell him how much his team mates hate playing with him, at some point this season?? Pop doesnt take any BS so he'd have to leave that at the door. But parker puts bums in seats. And if the Spurs are making one more mjor run at the title with TD, why breakup the chemistry.

19.5ppg on a mediocre Bucks team is more like 12-15 in SA. The key will be if he can get his FG% up. Seems like a real good guy off the court, but i cant see RJ 'saving the day' there.

Reply #240955 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

12-15 is exactly what the Spurs need. Roger Mason had a breakout season, as did Bonner (that makes me laugh every time I say it) and George Hill is as solid a bsck up as you could want.

I don't think RJ is expected to save the day, just add another piece to an already very good team. Remember that when Ginobili was playing (and not near 100%), the Spurs were playing as well as anyone in the West.

The RJ trade puts them into the contender category again. A rebounding/defender PF will make them very, very good. How much does the Scola trade hurt?

Reply #240959 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Detroit Pistons have sent forward Amir Johnson to the Milwaukee Bucks for Fabricio Oberto.

Another great move for the Bucks. Amir has the potential to be stud.

Reply #240962 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

What is Joe D doing?

Reply #240982 | Report this post

Buck me  
Years ago

Amir is a great trade for the bucks. They need interior defense and he had 7 blocks in a game last year. Watch this guy go. They need sessions back and now have money to do so.

Reply #241021 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"This is a great trade for the Spurs. Gives them a potential line up of:

Parker/Hill
Mason/GINOBILI
Jefferson/Finley
BONER
Duncan" - TC

You have Ginobili listed twice.

Reply #241029 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Couldn't believe this when I saw it. Wow Milwakee...

Reply #241042 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754