Isaac
Years ago

BA to unveil 2009/10 NBL logo Thursday

Media are advised that Basketball Australia (BA) Chief Executive Officer Larry Sengstock will hold a media conference in Melbourne tomorrow (Thursday 25 June) to unveil the new logo for the 2009/10 National Basketball League (NBL) season.

Sengstock will also announce BA's appointment of a high profile candidate to the senior management position of General Manager of High Performance.

Topic #20272 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

Thursday? It all makes sense now.

The new symbol will be the Autobot symbol - it's being timed to coincide with the opening of 'Revenge of the Fallen'.

"NBL 09/10 - Transform and Roll-out"

Best naming rights sponsor EVER.

Reply #240946 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Lets hope this entire thing looks and feels more professional than what they been offering up over the past few years. Do they realise that they don't have to use a font straight from MS Word ... they can design something slightly nicer?!

Reply #240951 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I am expecting that it will simply use that format established for the BA network and now used by the WNBL, Boomers, Opals, etc. Assuming so, don't get too excited - personally, I wouldn't even have a conference to announce that unless there was a naming rights sponsor to be introduced as well.

Reply #240954 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

But by doing this, they are gaining much needed exposure, sometimes it's not about the product, but the amount of exposure they can get to it.

Keep the NBL in the media, generate interest, get people talking, and not just the same people talking, who knows, it might even get a few new fans to the game...

Hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks they can announce a naming rights sponsor...

I'd be trying to tap Crazy John's now that they have nothing with the Dragons, only downside is the part owner being involved with the team...

Reply #240956 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Anybody else heard former Australian Boomer and Coburg/North Melbourne Giant Wayne Carroll will be appointed as High Performance Manager?

Reply #240958 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ankles - saw that on OzHoops just now:

My info is that Wayne Carroll (80's Boomer and Coburg Giant and from recollection, fan of the moustache) will be the High Performance Manager. Anyone else heard the same?

Reply #240964 | Report this post

NBL in Hong Kong  
Years ago

I hope they use the sillhouette of andrew gaze, not someone of the calibre of jason smith.

Reply #240966 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'I wouldn't even have a conference to announce that unless there was a naming rights sponsor to be introduced as well.'

Isaac, even if they get one media outlet to the conference, thats a win for the NBL.

Reply #240970 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

You're wrong- the silhouette they're using is McPeake's- all 500kg of him.

Reply #240971 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

If I'm the NBL/BA, I'm doing my sums on how much it would cost to buy every single conceivable combination of numbers for the $60m lotto next week.

If it costs $50 million, and they're guaranteed to win $60 million, then they're $10 million in front and a Wayne Carroll moustache away from better marketing/TV deal/etc and good times all round.

Of course, the theory breaks down if there's more than one winner, ie if there's two winners of $30 million each. In that scenario, they're $20 million in the hole and everything's screwed.

But how much publicity would that generate? The future of basketball in this country riding on whether it's the sole winner of a lottery? I say let's roll the dice. :)

Reply #240972 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

The title "General Manager of High Performance" reminds me of the award Homer Simpson won...
The Award for Outstsanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.

It doesn't mean anything...

Reply #240976 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A, not so much if the resulting press is a little bland and disappointed. I'm not saying they shouldn't stay in touch with the media, just that a plain logo reveal could be served by press release, and all the conference setup effort could be otherwise spent on something else.

Reply #240979 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

The title "General Manager of High Performance" reminds me of the award Homer Simpson won...
The Award for Outstsanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence.

It doesn't mean anything...

Its actually code for "Government Funding' because that's what all the other 'reformed' sports bodies call their development guys - never mind that basketball probably has had as successful a program as any of them over the past ten years!!

Reply #240981 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dorky title, but I'd say that it is for a valid position: overseeing the elite programs.

Reply #240983 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

There is nothing wrong with Jason Smith's calibre

Reply #241004 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

I was going to say Isaac, I think he will have a big job to do...the dood will be at a lot of championship's, junior and senior, plus a heap of aba, seabl, and what ever else comp's are around..
Did Pat Hunt retire? or will this job run in conjunction with him?

Reply #241014 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

pigs - I believe Pat moved sideways - he is now in a role where he is developing coaches across all sports at the AIS. A big role overseeing all aspects of the Elite pathways instead of Pat's old role which focused on the ITC program nationally.

Don't know about ABA or SEABL except to observe previously identified athletes. I suspect a fair bit of time liaising with our elites who are based OS (which is the majority of our Olympics teams).

Good gig to get though - wonder how much of the $300K Carroll will be getting?

Reply #241070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, they've added the new logo (no surprise) to the existing site and it's chopped off and looking a bit average, but presumably they'll save the redesign for the shift from Sportal to Sporting Pulse. Might need a hard-refresh to see it if your browser cache is at all aggressive: NBL.com.au

Reply #241130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't even fit space on the nbl website.

Reply #241150 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754