asd
Years ago

NH: Trades in AFL

Just would like to hear people's thoughts on trades in the AFL and Free agents.

My opinion is I would love to see teams for example

Trade Akermanis for to Richmond for draft pick
Trade Ling for Goodwin + Future Draft Pick

Could it work?

Topic #20275 | Report this topic

shin splints  
Years ago

One thing that people fail to realise, and perhaps why trades are not the best idea in Australian sports, is the cost.

I would imagine that each club has to bear the cost of relocating the player + family, packing up and moving, find temporary housing, accommodation, car rentals, schooling for kids, etc etc. For a company to relocate an employee from one city to another it can easily pass $50k +. Imagine clubs like North Melbourne or Port Adelaide having to find extra funds every year to pay for relocations on top of their 'free agents' relocations.

Certainly the NBL would struggle, with clubs running very tight budgets as it is. Even 3 player trades per year would probably add 200k to a club's running cost.

Perhaps not a a problem for the Collingwoods or South Dragons though.

Reply #240986 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

As a hypothetical I think it would be a great idea. Would eradicate tanking and be another option for struggling teams to rebuild mid-season.

Reply #240999 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Why would the Dogs want to trade Aker? He has been one of their better players for the past two years, and they won't come close to winning a flag without him.

Reply #241000 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree TC2 & why would Richmond want a 30 + yr old who may retire at the end of the year or at the most have 1 more season for a draft pick when they have said they are rebuilding?

I doubt Aker would lift Richmond inot the finals this year. It would be smarter for the WB to give up a draft pick & trade for a key forward.

Reply #241002 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

TC2 I think that was just a hypothetical.

I'd welcome the idea, some mid-season trades could be just what the Power need to kick start the second half of the season...if only :(

Reply #241003 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

So are we talking about MID-SEASON trades here??? Because you know they already have a trade period in the off-season in which they can exchange players and picks.

The free-agency is something that is probably a 95% chance of coming in in the next 5yrs.

I wouldn't be against a situation similar to the NBA's. It could be great for players on their last legs at a club to find a home where they're desperately needed due to injuries etc.

Not sure about the trades you mentioned though, the Aker one would work if the Tigers were contenders and the Dogs were rebuilding, but it's the other way around so that wouldn't work for either team. Also not sure why the Crows would want to trade a club legend like Goodwin, or why the Cats would trade Ling.

Let's say Kerr > Coughlan+2nd rd pick OR J.Morton > J.Bowden if we're looking at hypothetical trades.

Reply #241009 | Report this post

asd  
Years ago

thanks B-Easy

was just an example not saying it would happen. Sorry couldn't think of a better one

maybe

Saints Gilbert + Milme For Melbourne Watts and 2010 Second Round Draft pick

Reply #241011 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

That's even worse.

Reply #241012 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I don't understand. Are you actually saying that players and teams mentioned would be better off with the specific trades, or just throwing out possible trades to see if the AFL could do it?

Reply #241032 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's an example TC, that's all... Just throwing names out for the sake of throwing names out..

Reply #241063 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Ok then, yes it is possible for the AFL to have those trades.

Reply #241067 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754