XztatiK
Years ago

36ers: Import possibilities

Time to start throwing some names out there. With our team looking like this so far:

Burston/?
Ballinger/Holmes
?/Holmes/Hill
?/Ng/Hill
?/Ng

Depending on the other Aussies we sign, it looks like we will need imports at two of SF, SG and PG. I'm not sure who's available from the D-League/NBA Draft leftovers so please post possibilities here.

Here are some recycled NBL imports to consider:

Carlos Powell - SF - 6'7":
Seems to have a bad reputation on here (has been called a bad team player) but there's no doubting his ability. is a 25ppg+ player and automatically in the league's top3-5players. Would probably be pricey.

Donta Smith - SF - 6'7"?:
Has been mentioned around here a lot and woule be a perfect fit assuming we can find another import who is a pure shooter to play along side him. I think he's capable of a lot more than what he showed for South last year.

Rod Grizzard - SF - 6'9":
Do we still trust in Rod? Clearly wasn't at his best when he replaced Judas Hodge last year but you could do much worse. Would have to sign a slasher at the other import spot.

Mike Helms - SG/PG - 6'0":
Brilliant shooter who can score at will and create his own shot. Not the most efficient player, and you wouldn't want him running the point for two long. Would be a perfect fit between Bruce and Smith. One small negative is that he looked a little chubby last time I saw him - may need to get into shape. (plus he lost a bit of height when he got that haircut)

Cortez Groves - SG/PG - 6'3":
Used to be one of the best guards in the league for Wollongong a few years back, when he was aggressively attacking the rim and creating for teammates. Became a jumpshooter with South and wasn't nearly as effective. There's sure to be better available.

Kavossy Franklin - PG/SG - 6'2":
Getting on in age and well into his decline IMO. Again, better available.

Dontaye Draper - PG - short:
If we can't get Bruce back I wouldn't be unhappy with Draper. Was an impact player off the bench for the Kings in their championship year and could be a solid option with a few more years of experience and increased minutes.

Tremmell Darden - SG/SF - 6'5"?:
Like Smith, could've put up huge numbers if he was a starter getting 35-40mins a game. I really like his game and it would be interesting to see him with greater oppurtunities.

Rashad Tucker - SF/SG - 6'6"?:
Former triple-double machine. Nah...

Just about all I can think of at the moment. Please add more...

Topic #20282 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

note: not sure how many of these guys have overseas commitments already so sorry if some aren't available.

Reply #241033 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

BOBBY JONES.

A great defender/hustling guy who can score. Started a few games for Memphis, which included a career high 20 point game. He's one worth waiting for after the summer league finishes.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/bobby_ray_jones/index.html

Reply #241035 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

who was that player for New Zealand a couple of years back who went to play in the NBA???

Reply #241040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Powell - expensive and not a team player.
Smith - too expensive, otherwise they'd get him.
Grizzard - would have to come cheap.
Helms - not sure that he's a winner?
Groves - if played right, maybe.
Franklin - would need to maintain focus and if he was concerned about his contract/future, that may again impact his game. Otherwise, we need a tough player, so he could be good.
Draper - not sure.
Tremmell Darden - need someone who'll have more of an impact.
Rashad Tucker - for the sake of the women of Adelaide, no.

aaa - Orien Greene? He came from the NBA. Or Rich Melzer maybe? Bit more of a PF/C from memory.

Reply #241047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he meant the guy that we were chasing before we signed Hodge.

Reply #241049 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Josh Pace you mean?

Reply #241050 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah I still think Orien Greene has potential. You could tell he was still having a bit of trouble adjusting to league in the few games he played. Had a few travels called on him every game.

Reply #241052 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Bobby Jones sounds great but I would assume he would want Hodge / Smith type off $$ given his resume.

I'd have to agree with Isaac's comments above. If I were Ninnis / Hill I'd look for 2 new imports that have not played in the NBL as it will generate some extra excitement for the 36ers fans.

I guess the risk is one or both are a flop & how they affect the team chemistry. If they get 2 proven pros that have performed in overseas leagues (not straight out of college) the risk is lessened to some degree.

The other advantage of this is that the other teams will have to work out the new imports strengths / weaknesses which may add a few extra W's. The players listed above current coaches in the league understand their games.

Reply #241053 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oh, yeah, Pace. Wonder how strong his European league was? He played for an Estonian team and averaged about 8-9 PPG. FT% would be a real concern though.

Reply #241055 | Report this post

s vidmar  
Years ago

Orien Greene fired from a certain Holland team this season for failing a drug test.

Go Astronauts.

Reply #241061 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

have you all forgotten about sean lampley?
a contraversial character who loves to be hated, will put bums in seats and is a winner and a good team player
helped melbourne win a championship!

Reply #241074 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Orien could dunk and get steals, but otherwise was pretty streaky.

Reply #241076 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I find it funny that a bloke got sacked due to drug issue in a city like Amsterdam....

He would of been blazing like a frog going off in a sock.

Reply #241079 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

helped melbourne win a championship!

You mean THEY helped him win a championship.

Good team player? Ha!

Reply #241080 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones - would make my dream come true!

Reply #241086 | Report this post

Adelaide should go with only one new high quality import.

No point in splitting he money in the hope of finding two new talents .

Import needs to be PG .

Reply #241087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we want noel

Reply #241088 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

david noel just dunks and plays D. Don't think his shot is good enough, great athlete though which would really help him here i guess.

Reply #241096 | Report this post

hooplove  
Years ago

Jason Crowe would be a perfect fit. I looked at his resume everywhere he played he made an impact. Lets not forget the blaze after Crowe

Reply #241110 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

I think either Bowen from the blaze or Cortez Groves would be good fits with what we have now, personally would like Groves here and given a green light by ninnis to just play his game, i remember a few seasons ago he always used to torch us when we had Farley.

Reply #241118 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the Hawks should go with either Crowe or Groves. I'm not sure they can build a serious contender, so they should just try to be competitive and entertain the crowd. Not sure about Crowe in Adelaide - I think we could do with a tougher guard since Darren is more of a finesse player and Hill is hardly a bulldog.

Reply #241119 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

DICKO, what was with Cortez at the Dragons? Is he still value, or bad chemistry. I always thought it was a Heal and confidence issue combo that held him back there.

Reply #241120 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Out of the list mentioned in the first thread by xztatik my top 2 would be Donta Smith and Cortez Groves, i think they are the types of player we need a versatile swingman in the mould smith and a scoring combo guard in the mould groves

C Burston/?? Horvath
PF Ballinger/?? Mottram
SF Holmes/Hill
SG Smith (splits minutes between 2,3,4 spots)/Ng
PG Groves (splits mins between 1 and 2)/?? Crosswell

Reply #241122 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DB5, I think he was played out of position or his ideal role (is a scoring point instead of SG, I think?) and may have had some injury concerns?

Otherwise, if there's been a bit of a decline, you'd guess that other reasons could be that he's been scouted now, or has dropped some motivation. e.g., it was suggested that Kavossy's drop in numbers last season might've had something to do with him being worried about the state of the league and future contracts.

Reply #241125 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

It's always been my opinion that Heal killed Groves game by playing him out of position AND blaming him for everything that went wrong in the back court. I mean, it couldn't have been the OTHER guard, could it?

That said, injury robbed him of playing his best for Goorj. I don't know what he's like now. He's 31 though, so it's probably too late to take a punt on him.

There are probably better options out there. Although, for the money, you could probably count Smith and Powell out straight away. Donta was great around the team but also not ashamed of making sure he got paid well for his skills.

Darden would be an intersting prospect.... Certainly, defensively, you could do a lot worse and anyone who saw the last game last season would suggest he can light it up when given the opportunity.

Reply #241162 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

hmm thanks guys.

Darden was pretty good at the end of last year..
Potential 2-3 man?

Reply #241165 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Pretty weak excuse for Kavossy there Isaac.

Crowe wouldn't be too bad if we can't get Bruce. Don't really rate Bowen that highly.

I'll throw Darren Brooks' name into the ring if we're looking for PG's.

Reply #241189 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think it could be Adrien Sturt , rather than Cooper or Mottram.
( which will be good for me )

Reply #241233 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

Horvath, Mottram , Cooper - I'd go for Adrien Sturt.
Think they may have.

Reply #241234 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Obviously not an import but what would people think of Nathan Herbert? Talented shooter but would he fit in at SG/SF with Ng, Hill, Holmes already there and imports to come?

Reply #241256 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Sixers should do a deal with an NBA team, and try it out. If a team needs to develop a player and don't want to send him to the D league, why not to Australia. As they do in soccer, loan players out to other clubs for development. Also was wondering why not try an import from another country besides USA. Why follow the norm. Try something fresh, I know Tigers did it and was a flop, you could find something good, as their game is very much the same over there just better.

Reply #241265 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Where would Herbert even play? No need for him.

Reply #241266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outstanding shooter who plays his arse off every minute.
A younger improvement on Winitana and would be a very good role player and really improve our depth.

Reply #241307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Bobby Jones personally and i told him that you guys were talking about wanting him to come to Adelaide..I don't think he see's Adelaide or Australia as an option.Sorry

But hey you never know.

Reply #241554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754