M Dizzle
Years ago

Ricky Rubio - will he play?

Regardless of what everyone thinks of 'Sota drafting both Rubio and Flynn, I can't wait to see this kid on an NBA floor. The Wolves are in a position where they can build an entire young roster together and Id love to see how Rubio goes running the team.

Do people think something will be worked out and he will play next season? or will they trade him, or will he stay in Europe?

I just hope something is worked out and he plays straight away, it would be great to watch this kid grow up in the NBA. Thoughts?

Topic #20333 | Report this topic

Hong Kong in NBL  
Years ago

I hope he gets traded to NY so he plays next season, staying at Minnesota seems to be unlikely and the wolves must've known that, which is why they drafted him if that makes sense.

The amount of hype around him means they could trade for someone good before he plays and dissapoints all the people who say he's not as good as everyone says. He really isn't likely to be able to play big minutes and turn a team around early in IMO, yet he's had more hype than anyone else in the draft.

Reply #241792 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I also really just want to see him play but I think we have another Yi Jianlian on our hands and it's no surprise to learn that Rubio and Yi share the same agent (Fegan).

If you put yourself in the draft, play where you're taken and don't whinge about the cold.

Realistically though, I think they may try for a trade.

Reply #241798 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

I fail to see the logic of going to NY - except its what deluded and "entitled" NY fans want...

I think his buyout is the crux of the issue (understandably he is being careful about what he says given that there's a ~$6m dagger hanging above his head)- in many respects he is better off out of the spotlight - knowing what we know about NY fans and the media... and let's be honest - considering how "dream" a destination it is NY has been something of a basketball post-apocalyptic wasteland...

The fact that DKV sold his buyout to the Spanish tax office just complicates things - the thing i can't stomach is the size of the buyout against his salary - seriously...

Suck it up Ricky - Minny took you... We are more than happy to wait for you if need be... and no NY has nil to offer - if we are even going to discuss trades - which is way to early in the piece regardless... FFS the draft was only on friday - and given the complicating factors there might some issues which will take some time to iron out...

Reply #241800 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I agree with everything you've said Johnny, I just want to see him lining up as soon as anything can be worked out. As an NBA fan the thought of Rubio, Flynn, Love and Jefferson growing together is mouthwatering whatever combination of positions or minutes they end up playing. Id be very happy about the future if I was a T'Wolves fan, if this is all worked out.

Fom the standpoint of the Yi and Fegan comparison, i think ultimately the best case is always the player suiting up for the team that drafted them and playing right away as with what everntually happened with Yi.

Reply #241805 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I honestly think he would have been happy playing at Minny - imagine getting outlet passes from Kevin Love and then having AJ to finish. The reason why he would be unhappy is that they would have told/sold him that he would be the starting point guard but then they go and draft Flynn? Imagine if they had taken Curry or Hill - that would have been an awesome side.

Reply #241808 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I won't be surprised if he plays out his final season in spain to save the buyout for the wolves

Reply #241824 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754