KASAM
Years ago

New season dates being discussed by BA

BASKETBALL Australia privately is investigating the possibility of rearranging elite level senior basketball scheduling across the country from 2011.

A plan to play the NBL annually from February to June  as the league did in 1998 when it played a highly successful "bridging season" to accommodate its switch from being played in the winter of 1997 to summer in 1998-99  is a hot agenda item for BA.

A July-December switch of NBL season had been mooted but a February-June alternative is gaining momentum.

Topic #20338 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone got rough schedules for European leagues, the NBA and the D-League? Could the NBL be timed such that fringe NBA players without contracts could suit in the D-League, but still play over here? Guys like Smush Parker, Rod Benson, etc?

Reply #241884 | Report this post

darwin in NBL  
Years ago

In my opinion league should always start in the middle of the nba finals series. Therefore NBL can ride the wave of NBA/basketball popularity at no cost. Having NBL start 2 days before afl grand final is absurd, i dont care that the 1st game is between nz and cairns. Having Olympics/ Bball champs interupting league every 2 seasons is a positive not a negative. It's equivalent to the state of origin interrupting the nrl season - a good endorsement of the game and a way for the public to learn about most of the elite players. A partial slow-down of the season, e.g. 1 game per team per week for 3 weeks is no big deal in the long term.

Slightly off topic is the fact that between june and october the population of darwin almost doubles through tourism - darwin team would work best at this time also.

Reply #241897 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Europe is around Sept- May right, from memory?

Reply #241903 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

that is a great time to start the league as we will benefit with NBA reject imports. If we play through summer league and NBA pre season alot of the players would rather hava try at cracking the NBA than play NBL. I believe talent level is big for crowd numbers, as shown by the crowd when Jawai played here and the increase in fans when Hodge came to us. We can pay alot better than the D league and hopefull will increase the stadard of basketball in OZ.

Reply #241930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a bad idea to go up against footy. I'm a season ticket holder but not sure if I'd continue if it clasehd with the footy.

Reply #241960 | Report this post

milhouse  
Years ago

The whole footy thing is over rated. At the moment we clash with soccer, with some planning around the crows/power schedule I dont see it being a problem. Obviously dont have games the same time as the state's AFL side, If Crows/power play sat night organise the Sixers for Friday. The only state that would find this difficult is mebourne but they only have one NBL team anyway and shouldnt suffer to much. The supporters who follow interstate AFL sides, tivo and fox IQ the game, or its even replayed during the week on One HD.

Its only Adelaide, Perth, and the Tigers that have AFL to compete with anyway.

You also only have to look at the 90's era to prove it is possible to get good crowds to basketball during footy season.

Reply #241979 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Don't hsve a strong opinion either way but will winter comp hurt small markets with a rugby league team aswell, eg: Townsville, Gong, Gold Coast and NZ will be up against Rugby & to a lesser degree Netball.

Reply #242001 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754