Isaac
Years ago

Leon Powe is unemployed

Forward Leon Powe played hard for the Celtics on a rookie contract. He helped them win a title. His coach called him a kid who had "done everything right."

And in the course of duty, he severely messed up his knee. Shortly after that, as luck would have it, his contract then came to an end just when he was due to get his first really big contract (his salary has always been six figures, not the seven he had coming).
Powe's agent thinks it's rough that the Celtics are more or less ditching Leon after what he gave to the team, including endangering his career to play through an ACL during the play-offs.
"What does it say when a player like Leon Powe, a great human being, who played through injury and pain for three straight years for the Boston Celtics, including in a playoff game after tearing his ACL, is rewarded by the team saying to him "we only have a short window to win, and you are not a part of our plans because you are now injured.""

More at TrueHoop

What do you think? Just the way it is, or could the Celtics have shown a bit more heart?

Topic #20350 | Report this topic

milhouse  
Years ago

Its a business. Thats all there is to it.

Reply #242024 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Agreed, Millhouse, its a business, and lets face it, he comes out of the experience with a championship ring, and although not huge NBA dollars, better money than what most could dream ok making. He will hopefully come back strong after rehab, and within 2 years get that big contract somewhere else....may even make Ainge look like a dick in the process

Reply #242028 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I reckon that's harsh. But I'm no business man. In a perfect world, the Celtics would recognise that he was one of the cogs that helped the them to a championship and reward him from that.

How can they set a timeframe to winning another championship (ie A short window to win)?

Reply #242029 | Report this post

woody venkat  
Years ago

leon is still young he will find a new home dont worry about that, plenty of teams would love to have him. The celtics where a one season wonder team. Cavs are going to be hard to stop.

Reply #242030 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Yeah, he will get an opportunity somewhere after rehab.

The Celtics don't have the pieces to compete with the Magic and Cavs next year. They should be trying to keep him on the cheap.

Reply #242032 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

On another note, Anderson Varejao opted out of his $6.2m for next year...... I will be surprised if can improve on that.... maybe he is looking for an extension now before his value diminishes.

Reply #242035 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think its a little early for his agent to be coming out laying the boot in. Last I heard, at the end of last season, Doc and Danny both said positive things about Leon and that they would like to 'look after him' by giving him another minimum contract while he rehabs. But they didn't say resigning him would be the first order of business!

Basically, the Celtics will make all the moves they need to first - like trying to resign Davis, attract a FA 4/5 backup, a FA 2/3 backup and hopefully resign Marbury to backup the PG spot.

Once all that has happened, from what I've said I think they will do what they can to offer Leon the last roster spot for min. dollars.

Also, let us not feel too bad for the guy - he has made around $1.4 mill over the last two years, so he can hardly plead poverty!

I'd love to see Leon return - and hopefully for the Celtics - but his agent needs to be realistic about where the Celtics priorities lie right now.

Also, ESP, what makes you think the Celtics can't compete with the Cavs and Magic next season? There are a lot of good FA's on the market right now and all the Celtics need to do is snag two solid ones to be right at the top of the East next year.

Lest we forget that the Celtics went very close to knocking out the Magic minus KG and Leon! Health is the only question mark standing in the way of the Celtics being contenders again in 2010. You can take that to the bank!

Reply #242036 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Oh yeah, lets have some Lakers Powe-nage while we're at it! I've got better links at home, but this'll have to do for now... ah sweet memories!

http://linky.com.au/k6w1f

Reply #242037 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

How can they set a timeframe to winning another championship (ie A short window to win)?

KG and Ray Ray are both close to done one or two more years and its time to look at rebuilding.

Reply #242038 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i think he will come back for a year on the min. He will not be fully fit will not get much better elsewhere and can prove his health for the following year. Davis looks to be getting some more attention so that may work in his favor.

Reply #242042 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Danny Ainge publicly shopped around with Ray Allen so what makes Powes agent think he was assured a contract for next season. Sucks he farked his ACL but thems the joys of professional sport, at least all the other teams know that he has enough heart to play through a major injury and still compete against the best which will no doubt help him get a contract elsewhere along with the fact he has a ring.
He would be a very affordable asset to alot of teams.

Reply #242091 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

They're older than my grandma Beantown..... that is what I am basing my call on.

Reply #242093 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow ESP, they breed em young in your family!

Reply #242210 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:13 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754