Run TMC
Years ago

Zach Randolph to Memphis

Zach Randolph has been traded to the Grizzlies for Quentin Richardson.

I like this for the Clippers, they suddenly have a very good looking line up:

Baron
Gordon
Thornton
Q-Rich
Griffin
Camby
Kaman

plus DeAndre Jordan and Ricky Davis

This team could be quite good and could push for a playoff spot. A few things would need to happen though:

- Gordon and Thornton keep improving
- Griffin has a good rookie year
- Q-Rich can produce anything near the 17 and 6 he gave the Clips last time he was there
- Baron actually gives a rats

And even if all that happened I'm sure Dunleavy would find a way to screw it up or the Clippers curse that everyone speaks about would rear its head. But surely they will improve significantly. If they don't they will be better placed to have a crack at a good free agent in 2010.

As for Memphis, that is a massive risk taking on a guy like Randolph with those young guys (not to mention his contract). Although PF is clearly their biggest hole so it might be worth the risk.

Both teams could win in this trade.

Topic #20361 | Report this topic

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Hmm, wierd, Memphis basically got the original Darko for Z-bo trade they proposed originally to the Clippers, they just had to shift someone else to get it.

I think Q-Rich is done, he can add some nice spot up shooting, that's about it.

Baron will play better if the team starts winning. If Caman stays healthy, not a bad chance of that happening. Could push for a playoff spot...

Memphis will always be terrible as no free agents ever want to go there, and they are not willing to spend any money. Oh, and they do stupid trades like the Gasol one.

Reply #242133 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Considering the strength of the West, and 48+ wins needed to be contention for 8th spot, it might be asking a bit much of LAC.

I look forward to Bill Simmon's reaction to this trade. Now if they could only get rid of Coach Dunleavy.......

Reply #242138 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Clippers could make another move too, they have a trade exception now from the difference in salaries, so they could pick up someone making around $6M from a team looking to dump that much salary. This could even be a sign-and-trade of a current free agent.

Reply #242139 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Surely Memphis could have gotten more than Z-Bo with the leverage on the cap they were offering?

Reply #242143 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

But if you want a big guy that can rebound AND score there aren't many options. None of the big name free agents next year are going to want to go there so all of their cap space may not be that useful. Guys like Okafor and Lee dont score enough (they dont need another defensive big as they just drafted Thabeet). Who else could have they seriously got? Pau Gasol would be ideal for them, wait a sec ....

It's a big risk - at least they didn't have to give up much (in terms of players) to get him.

Reply #242147 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think its probably a good trade for both teams. Given history, both teams will probably conspire to make this look like a terrible trade in a few years, but I'd like to think the Griz will actually be worth watching this year!

Thabeet Gasol
Randolph
Gay Warrick ? restr FA
OJ Mayo Jaric
Conley Navarro ? restr FA

Plus Arthur and their other two draft picks this year.

Starting to look solid. Just gonna be a case of their starting five working out how to play together.

Clips are looking okay too, though if I were them I would try to move Davis for a pass first PG - a guy like Andre Miller would be a good fit I reckon. Or perhaps try to pry loose a good rookie PG?

Reply #242159 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I Like the trade for the Grizzlies. Takes pressure off Thabeet to just come in and block shots and rebound, without having to bear a scoring load. Memmphis' season depends completely on Conley, they have 3 x 20ppg scorers now in mayo gay and randolph and good defensive bigs. Its time for Conley to step up and run the team. If he could do that they actually could be quite good.

Reply #242179 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Did I miss something Beantown? Navarro is back with the Griz?

Reply #242208 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Navarro... You been hiding in a cave for a year Beantown? LMAO

Reply #242209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754