JoeyKnuckles
Years ago

Player Wallace 'succumbed' to underage sex

July 02, 2009 12:36pm

A RISING basketball star "succumbed" to pedophilic sex with an 11-year-old girl because injuries dashed his professional dreams, a court has heard.

http://linky.com.au/96kkq

Topic #20363 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Toss him in the hole, close the steel door and throw away the key......

Reply #242165 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

These are the times that I wish the movie SAW was real. Have to feel for the family of the girl.

His professional dreams were dashed...pfft....

What about her dreams??

Reply #242166 | Report this post

I love how they are talking up him as being destined for the NBL....

Has anyone even heard of the guy????

Sounds like Lawyers just looking for excuses....

Reply #242168 | Report this post

xzx  
Years ago

will this mean anyone who misses out on an Aus camp or knocked back from a nbl gig can use that exuse and do what he did ???

Reply #242174 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

hahaha.....cumbed.

Reply #242186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy is a no one.

Used a professional career as an excuse when he was never going to play any decent level of basketball.

Reply #242189 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I like the saw idea, sell the tv rights.

Reply #242221 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

He is around the same age as me and i've never heard of the bloke! Does anyone even know what district club he played for?? Sounds like a crock of shite to me.

Reply #242232 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

That's why lawyers get the big bucks...

Reply #242234 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I think he played for Southern....say no more.

Reply #242236 | Report this post

Big Moose  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure he was one of these "social basketball wannabe's who would be lighting it up in State League if he wanted to" chump!

(That is not a knock on anyone playing social but I'm sure you all know the type I mean)

Reply #242240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Danny Wallace played a few district games for Forestville when he was about 18.... and yes he could play. He had outstanding athleticism. I played some social ball with him at the old Forestville stadium. I still can't believe it cos he was quite a nice bloke & I would never have picked him do something like this.

Reply #242241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played what division 5 at Forestville and social?

Big jump from that to bound for an 'elite' role in the NBL.

And no one I've spoken to at Forestville has heard of Danny or Adrian Wallace.

Reply #242246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone is not telling the truth then, cos he definately played a few Div.1 mens games for Forestville in about 1995/1996. I know a couple of current Forestville guys who knew him but I'm not going to name them here! He may have gone to Southern, I'm not sure about that. As for the social ball, that was just for fun cos he was wat too good for that level.
I'm not saying he was good enough to play NBL or even good enough to be a great district player, but at 18 years old he was very good.

Reply #242250 | Report this post

Big Moose  
Years ago

Had outstanding athleticism = Was the only one on the social team that could dunk the ball before the game.

Hmmm, sounds like sure fire credentials for a stellar NBL career!

Reply #242254 | Report this post

Fox73  
Years ago

That is a ridiculous excuse but that is how the court system works.
Laywer - 'did you have anything go wrong in your life?"
Offender - "Yep! I wanted to play in the NBL."
Laywer-"Sure. Promising NBL player has his dreams dashed by 11 year old Lolita... we will run with that.."
Offender-"But I was hopeless! I wanted to play AFL as well!"
Lawyer - 'Thats ok. We will run the the Basket-ball thing."
Ridiculous.

Reply #242256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Moose, I'm just stating what I know. I haven't seen or heard of him since then. So I know nothing about him personally since the old FVille stadium days. Sounds like he's been up to other things since those days!

Reply #242258 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

From what I have heard, he was just a normal young kid with high ambitions, until that fateful day when he fell victim to a last second timeout by an opposing team who held a comfortable lead over his team at the time. Some say he never recovered from the arrogant display.

Reply #242261 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

"That is a ridiculous excuse but that is how the court system works."

Actually Fox73, that's how the media works. The Advertiser reported the defence lawyer's submissions, not the findings of the Court.

Sentencing has been set for a later date. Defence lawyers do make submissions about the personal circumstances of defendants, some relevant some not. It doesn't mean the Court will take it into account when sentencing.

The example here might be relevant if perhaps a medical report from a psychiatrist confirmed that the denedant suffered depression as a result of the injuries and that contributed to the offending.

It's no excuse, but may be relevant in determining the severity of the sentence. There is quite a large scope of discretion available to the Court for most offences ranging from a suspended sentence to lengthy jail time, and all manner of things will be taken into account to determine where on the scale the particular offence should fall.

Reply #242262 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TC2, less baiting Southern people please!

Reply #242263 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Way too much discretion in my opinion..... there are too many excuses in today's society.

Reply #242266 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Sorry

Reply #242270 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Yeah the real idiot in all of this is his lawyer who decided to run with that argument. Judges are pretty switched on people and would have heard all of the excuses in the book - I'm pretty sure the judge in this case would see right through an excuse like that!

Reply #242338 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Don't be too sure lockstock...

Look at what we work with here in Canberra..

http://linky.com.au/o1sbx

Reply #242342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

lockstock, don't lawyers have an obligation to pursue whatever path might give their clients a favourable result?

Reply #242361 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure the judge in this case would see right through an excuse like that!

Judges are just higher paid lawyers, never have faith in just how much they can screw the justice up, if Judges had there way the 11yr old will probaly have to apologise.

Reply #242389 | Report this post

Scott W  
Years ago

he sucked big time, he wouldn't make my Centrals squad... Had no D.. Ben T is quicker now then he was at 18. also he was 6ft tall with an arm span of 4ft... He was pigeon toed and shot like Andy Simons.

Had hair like Gravy, and a nose like Cameron Wilson.

Reply #242403 | Report this post

flu  
Years ago

Reply #242655 | Report this post

flu  
Years ago

i know him quite well. he played div1 u20 for southern i believe. after injuries he turned into a very good 1v1 player and spent his time playing pickup games and social. he won a 1v1 and1 comp a couple years ago.

the guy above is talking crap. he has a sweet shot, not pigeon toed at all.

good player but not team orientated. the elite basketballer arguement is a big stretch

Reply #242656 | Report this post

GETSUM  
Years ago

Skud, your no doubt right while others naive!
No matter the excuse there is still NOTHING that can draw away from the facts of the case.
Todays laws Allow rapists n paedophiles maximum damage with minimum sentences, and this judge has the opportunity to really make a difference. I hope I'm wrong but with the possibility of life as the report suggested, the judge I think will go soft as most do in these matters!
Also who cares if this GYMP is a "somebody" or a "nobody", it's irrelevant!
I just can't wait till he has his head cradled n pounded like a cadbury cream egg!!

Reply #242663 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

He got 4 years for it today..

pfft, what a joke.

Reply #245840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whatever happened to Simon Bennett (?)

Reply #245846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:57 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754