Anonymous
Years ago

Could a Draft work for the NewNBL?

After the hype of the NBA draft I was curious if a Draft could work and bring some much needed exposure to the NewNBL?

I would think a draft would be tough as the NBL isn't the highest level of competition in the world but could it work?

Assists with evening out the competition just as much as a salary cap or points system in my opinion as well.

Topic #20373 | Report this topic

TC2  
Years ago

No. There isn't enough money in the league to pay the rookies enough to play for the team that drafted thaem. Try telling the 8th pick in the second round that he has to pack his bags and head to the other side of the country to play for a team about to fold for the measly sum of $20,000 a season.

Reply #242310 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could possibly be arranged if it was restricted to one round (or stretched to two) and included a few stud free agents returning from outside the league? Has more of a chance than NBL trades IMO.

Reply #242316 | Report this post

asd  
Years ago

I think it could work for the U23 player in each team, guaranteed 2 year contract at $45K a year.

This would ensure you are getting players that want to be in the NBL. Those AIS under 23 that sign with a college would come back as options for free signing. Not go into draft.

Maybe a rule like any player entering NBL draft for U23 that has played for a D1 college is ineligible for draft.

Reply #242317 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

I think it would be fantastic, and not only would it bring more exposure to the game it would keep Kids playing because they would have a clear understanding of the pathway to get to the NBL..

It would be excellent for the sport. I have no doubt a kid that is 19 just out of high school wouldn't say yes to moving interstate on 20k a year.

They have a big chance to ignite their pro basketball career and are getting paid to do so

Reply #242323 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

although it would be tough for players to keep their spots?

Maybe a draft every Two years would ensure a stronger talent pool, bigger build up and Garunteed two year development deals

Reply #242325 | Report this post

darwin in NBL  
Years ago

As i've said before, the best thing to do in terms of developing youg talent would be an AIS team made up of under 23 yr olds, or even younger. Perhaps include 2 players over 23 (as 'imports'). A few less guys would go to college in the states if this team was given a degree of their whilst playing (and AIS system is AS good as most colleges if not better, not to mention the fact that they'll be playing top competition every game). Also AIS is well known by NBA execs, therefore getting drafted from this team would be not impossible. Imagine all the best aussie talent aged 18-23 on one team?

Once the players are over 22/23 they can be sought after by other clubs.

Reply #242327 | Report this post

asd  
Years ago

Darwin in NBL

Wouldn't that mean none of the AIS players would be able to go to college as they have imports in their team.

Reply #242329 | Report this post

VB  
Years ago

It could work, with the right money, and also there would have be some sort of deadline where players either choose to pursue there career in oz and there for entering the draft or heading overseas to college and that way players who don't get the exposure get some sort of chance.

But also have to think we have a 8 team leauge, for example each team has 2 draft picks it means its a 16 pick draft which does't make it anygood, if we could make a nbl youth leauge where each nbl team has a youth team that travels and ays curtin raisers for the nbl team only ( abit like nrl with the toyota cup) only that way we could somehow make a draft and still then it is pushing it.

Reply #242353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to tap into education, 20K plus a Uni/Tafe scholarship will get you over the line, and also provide a realistic option for kids to stay in aust....the problem is the lack of jobs for professional players....with only 8 teams, you don't need to have the turnover that the nba does.

Reply #242360 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

$20k + uni/TAFE fees + allowance for books/laptop/etc. Could work.

Reply #242362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will work, clubs should all be promoting themselves and trying desperately to align themselves with Universities, many opportunities for the NBL here but they need to embrace it. Bums on seats...education for players..the Hawks will be pioneers in this field...Watch this space

Reply #242399 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

The Draft sucks!

As is shown by the NBA and AFL, it just makes for an artificial competition where everyone gets their turn to be the number one team.

Im amazed that the home of free enterprise allows such a communist styled activity.

Long live the free trade as shown by the Football leagues in Europe, yes.. i think 80 million pounds is absurd for a player, but, if the market demnds it...so be it, and by the end of this football season, almost all sports fans will know about Ronaldo, Kaka and especially Real Madrid.

Ban the draft

Reply #242551 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754