frangipani
Years ago

Netball pls share the dome!

Saw TV news last night that Netball SA wants to enlarge ETSA Park to 7000-seat venue. Sunday's big game at the Dome shows netball can sell it out, but netball gets no revenue from that crowd if at the Dome. As there's no seasonal clash between netball and NBL/WNBL, surely the Dome owners could split the revenue to ensure the place is used, and Netball SA gets some money, rather than build another big venue that's underused for most of the year, and soaks up rare facilities dollars?

Topic #20379 | Report this topic

why wouldn't the netball get any of the revenue. that does not sound right to me

Reply #242365 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might specifically mean food/bev or something like that?

Reply #242367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would a bigger netball venue be unused most of the year ? Netball SA currently uses ETSA park all year round.

Reply #242401 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

The Dome owners (or should we say owner? ..... who if I read correctly, currently has his assets frozen which reminds me of my time in Canberra in June but I digress) should meet the netball guys halfway on this one. I agree with "frangipani" - find a way to make it happen so we don't get two venues that are too big to make a profit for most of the year. The Dome is a terrific venue to watch sports such as basketball and netball. Start with a "we can and want to do this" attitude and you'll make it happen. Would be terrific for both sports.

Reply #242404 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Would be good to use the Dome for both Basketball and Netball, they can promote each other to the crowds that attend by filling the walls and using the big screen with advertising.

Reply #242406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Netball SA like using the Dome which is kind of the whole point of expanding their own venue.
At least they can afford to clean ETSA park, replace blown light globes and ensure the toilets are stocked with toilet paper and don't stink... something the Dome admin seem incapable of doing.

Reply #242407 | Report this post

frangipani  
Years ago

That's where a change of admin/joint arrangement could be beneficial. The belles dames sans merci would surely lift the cleaning and providoring standards! And while ETSA Park might be used most of the year, all 7000-seats in a big remodelled venue wouldn't be, as the dome reveals. Cd be a win-win.

Reply #242431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not just play everything out of a bigger ETSA park then. The parking is free and the food is good.
It's clean, it's well designed and well maintained, all things that the Dome is not.
Ever tried watching Junior games on courts 1 and 3 at the Dome... It sucks.
The place was designed by idiots.
At least the designers thought about viewing and seating for courts 2-3, and didn't just make sure seating for the showcase court was OK.

I'd much rather see everything played at ETSA park than the Dome.

Reply #242433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares if 7 seats or 7000 seats are being used at ETSA Park, as the long as the venue is being used it's making money.

Reply #242434 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Netball SA are profitable and booming. They don't need the Dome if they can expand their own place. They are a great example of how to run a sporting association.

Reply #242435 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anons, you need to put your alias in the Name field, not the Email field...

Reply #242438 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

TV news gave today's attendance as 7,200 at the Dome.

They host a home final - I guess that will be at ETSA Park = 3,100, at the moment.

Reply #242465 | Report this post

Cat 55  
Years ago

Best atmosphere I've seen at any game played at the Dome in a long time.
Pity they couldn't have gone to a bit of trouble to clean the place before hand. The toilets next to the Woodville Canteen are bloody disgusting and have been for some time now.
Typically the score board didn't want to work in the first quarter either, and people wonder why Netball SA would rather play out of their own venue.

Reply #242485 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Re atmosphere at Dome was huge yesterday did not compare with Bretts last home game last year.
Yes the Netball need to share the Dome for those big matches rather than out lay big money to grow ETSA park capacity which they would only need for poss. 3-4
Nat. comp. games during season.
Surely they can get a better deal by pre scheduling.
No score board for 1st qtr not fault of Dome the netball neede to have had sorted out.
Re numbers to games it seems Netball clubs both in outer city and close country areas are more organized as there were heaps of clubs there with heaps of kids plyrs and parents. Yes you doubters they would have paid for their ticket.
Dont get misled Netball SA whilst going ok and paying of their own stadium are not hugely financial and it is this re-vamped Aust - NZ comp. that has got netball interest at a high.
For NBL 2 key issues it was a revamped comp. and it was in first year a Fox - Netball coverage that helped spark interest. But it was every game and they went to Mon nights for a least 1 game each week

Reply #242497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brettstheman:
Stupid comment to blame netball for the Dome scoreboards being down because they have been down for past Friday nights district games as well.
Toilets everywhere are only as clean as the people that use them and Dome staff clean them regularly so maybe look at the habits of the basketball players/parents etc that use them.
The atmosphere was sensational, full houses do that. Yes Brett's farewell was tremendous but he had to leave basketball to get that crowd!
Netball fills the stadium. The lightning gets 700 tops. The sixers average 4000. Get your head out of your rear end and read the signs. The more intergrated netball/basketball activities the better and more positive for both sports.
Netball is ahead of basketball by the proverbial and we can learn a great deal from their cost structure and centralism. There is room for both sports without the 'which one is best' and put downs especially from the basketball side where coaches are openly hostile to kids playing both.

Reply #242501 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Re anon. fine feedback but how can you say scoreboard not good when it was working after qtr time .
Obvious if can be sorted out sort out before game my point. If didnt work at all you would be right.
Netball is the biggest participation sport in Aust. and they would have almost 10 times the girls playing junior netball than boys and girls playing basketball in SA .
You also missed the point that the Thunderbirds cant always fill their stadium of approx. 3.5k . even with huge potential following shown above. Only on a sun or poss fri night would they even get 3k.
Netball is obviously and always be well ahead of WNBL
for obvious reason of participation but Sixers with SOS group can grow their support again by just getting out there again and decent promotion.
You are wrong to assume my background anon. because I am a Sixer fan. And already said should work together.

Reply #242507 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

It would be good if an arrangement could be made between the two parties, so the sixers could play at etsa park for some of the smaller Wed, Thurs games so they pack it out. and the netballers can use the dome for their larger games.

Sounds simple

Reply #242540 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Skin, where would you seat the season ticket holders who have set seats at the Dome?

Reply #242580 | Report this post

Flinders 89  
Years ago

EC, the same way that the Thunderbirds do their season tickets. You have the same seat for all games at ETSA park and the same for all games at the DOME, not that hard to work out I would think.

A few teams in Sydney and Melbourne do the same thing, they swap between the smaller and larger venues depending on the opposition and timing

Reply #242597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sixers smallest crowd of all time (since moving to the Dome) wouldn't fit in ETSA Park.

Reply #242608 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Interesting that they play their home final , on Monday at ETSA Park - 3,100 @ $34 for adults and $22 for children and concession. ( no group concessions)
School holidays - means 4000 miss seeing then live.
$20,000 to hire the Dome for the nite + food and drink profits to stadium owner (probably Eddy's bank).
Possibly $100,000 extra playing at the Dome, plus the big crowd support.

Reply #242681 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Flinders89, whats difficult to work out is that I believe ETSA holds less than the total season ticket holders at the Dome. If a ticket is paid for, you have to allocate a seat regardless of whether its filled or not. It also leaves no room for casual attendees.

Reply #242683 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, the 36ers have under 3,000 season ticket holders, if that's what you're talking about.

Reply #242685 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, is this the figure from last season? I thought it was more than 3,000 because apparently it was up from the previous year. Nonetheless, doesn't leave many seats for casual ticket sales.

Reply #242687 | Report this post

Flinders 89  
Years ago

The Swifts have different levels of season tickets. One that includes all games at all venues, and different ones that can include just the one venue or two or three. The Swifts have played in three different venues in past seasons. This is the first year they have been able to play in the same venue for all their home games.

Getting back to the point of this thread, Netball has outgrown their Adelaide venue and for a lot of reasons many which have been mentioned on this thread the Dome is unsuitable. The Dome is a white elephant in its present state, to survive and prosper the dome needs to be multi-purpose (not relying on basketball as a major source of income). A total rethink from brains outside of basketball is really required before anything positive can be achieved

Reply #242690 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The dome is still only allowed a certain number of nights per year where the attendence is allowed over 1000 according to council rules if I am not mistaken.

Reply #242696 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

anon - that restricts expansion , then.
Seems a shame really.

I live next door to the Dome and try to follow the events.

William Street is now one-way, for those that used to use it to get onto Port rd. . you can't anymore.

Reply #242713 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754