Anon
Years ago

U17 girls national squad

Is it right they have 16 left, how many is the final pick? What are peoples thoughts....Tippett everywhere hey!

Topic #20459 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia can announce the athletes selected in the women's U17 squad for the FIBA Oceania U17 Championships in Brisbane from August 20-22.

The squad includes current Gem Gretel Tippett, and Nadeen Payne and Lauren Nicholson. All three won Gold at the Australian Youth Olympic Festival in January.

The squad of 16 athletes will be cut down to a final team of 12 following the U16 Australian Junior Championships, which tip off in Ulverstone, New Zealand tomorrow.

The 12-strong team will contest the Oceania championship against New Zealand. The winner of that tournament will advance to next year's inaugural FIBA U17 World Championship for Women in Rodez and Toulouse, France.

The following players have been selected in the squad of 16 athletes, and remain in contention for the women's U17 team to compete at the Oceania event:

Aneeka Smith  Sturt/SA Country
Tessa Lavey  Bendigo/Victoria Country
Mikhaela Donnelly  Logan/Qld. South
Lauren Nicholson  Sutherland/ NSW Metro
Adrienne Jones  Kalamunda/WA Metro
Hannah Kaser  Dandenong/Victoria Country
Stephanie Talbot  Eastern Mavericks/SA Country
Olivia Thompson  Forestville/SA country
Sara Blicavs  Melbourne/Victoria Metro
Gretel Tippett  Brisbane/Qld. South
Nadeen Payne  hyats/Qld. North
Carley Mijovic  Dandenong/Victoria Metro
Rosie Fadljevic  Dandenong/Victoria Metro
Jacinta Vandenburg  Dandenong/Victoria Metro
Maddison Allen - Port Hunter/NSW Country
Tayla Roberts  Trojans/Tasmania

Reply #243209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to the three SA girls that made it and commiserations to the two that didn't, maybe next time.

Reply #243220 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

I'd say two SA certainties in that group of three. Pretty impressive for two SA Country girls to be in the National team (if i'm right!).

Reply #243228 | Report this post

Anone  
Years ago

Agree Talbot will be a certainty!! Havent seen the other 2 much at all?

Reply #243240 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Couple of those girls havent played real tough ball for a long time......real shock?

Reply #243341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure which two you are talking about but one girl currently playing at 16 national championships and doing well and another just played in under 18 championships as bottom age and did very well??

Reply #243361 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

After seeing some of 16's during week couple of youngsters poss. Talbot, yes agree, Thomson from 18's possibly but not sure who other one is???

Reply #243953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other one is Smith

Reply #243957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

corrigan and shaw didnt make it this time

Reply #243958 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dont reckon Smith played top level for ages??
Think Thomson was at 18 nationals......Reckon U17 teams will be pretty physical

Reply #244041 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Are u serious!

Reply #244255 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Corrigan not ready yet....Shaw definately should have been in ahead of one of the SA kids

Reply #244309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree corrigan not ready yet, but potential is there, not been playing long enough, shaw definitely ahead of smith, but selectors know what they want

Reply #244327 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bit scary for me....even though from Vic not sure of all these players?

Reply #244727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure about what?

Reply #244737 | Report this post

Ah huh.  
Years ago

"potential is there, not been playing long enough"
Summer & winter season in 18's; summer & winter season in 16's....how long is long enough ever going to be?

Reply #244848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from what I been told only started playing in 16's had never picked up a ball before that, only been playing 3 years from my calculations, unlike lots of other kids started in under 10 or 12, is 4 to 6 years behind when you look at it like that. the kids tall but has along way to catch up with other kids

Reply #244876 | Report this post

Ah huh.  
Years ago

Yeah I have heard that a lot.

This kid has huge potential; its just that every time this one has a bad one the same old line is trotted out.

It starts to wear a bit thin over and over again.

My son plays district & represented SAC last Nationals. When he has a shocker...its just a shocker; when others have a shocker its because they have only been playing for a few years.

It starts to wear a bit thin over and over again, from the same people over and over again.

Chin up, head down, no excuses and get on with it!

Reply #245113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah huh, get used to it, selections in oz basketball relate to surname, favours and ability in that order. Once accepted u can smell the roses.

Reply #245181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who said the kid had a shocker, from what I saw she did well at the 18 nationals a huge step up from the previous year and this is why she was asked to go to aus camp. she is moving ahead as expected but still has a long way to go catch up, sounds like sour grapes from this end. you lot forget these are kids and they have to learn like everyone else, some have been just been learning longer than others. give credit where credit is due. as far as surname I had never heard it before, and I dont know what favours are given when these kids are selected by people that dont know them I think, and I could be wrong, the womens coach is from nsw not sa.

Reply #245229 | Report this post

Dog 11  
Years ago

Agree anon. Surnames and favors are first. Not sure where your from, but Vic is just as bad if not worse - just look at selections, same old same old. Much better girls kept by the way side, must not know enough people. Watched sa girls. Your Talbot girl, good offence, no real defence but potential agreed. A couple others just as capable but who knows who they know?

Reply #245274 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

Even though the current U19 team is undefeated in the Junior World heading into the quarter finals, and that they have proven all the doubters wrong, people whose kids aren't good enough feel the need to compensate for their lack of knowledge by complaining about the selection criterea.

If they are good enough they will make it regardless of anything you say or complain about.

Reply #245303 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Promises are made to be kept......suck up and your in with a chance

Reply #245327 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

When does training commence for the U/17 National Teams before the Oceania series?

Reply #246049 | Report this post

EX  
Years ago

They all get together Sunday on the Gold Coast,then travel to Brisbane on Wednesday.

Reply #246051 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Any injuries to the players? Hope all are fit and raring to go......if like last year AUS will bolt it in. Fun time I hear...

Reply #246151 | Report this post

gen x chromosome  
Years ago

Thought there was no naming of under 18 players?

Reply #246241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754