LC
Years ago

Some good news for Jawai?

Orlando has apparently matched Dallas' offer for Marcin Gortat meaning that both Gortat and Bass will remain at the Magic for next season. This could well mean that Australia's Nathan Jawai could become more important in the Mav's planning for next season, as they have lost both Bass and the opportunity to sign the up and coming Gortat.
Will be interesting to see if Dallas make any other moves for anyone else to shore up the F/C position and not have to rely on the yet unproven Jawai.

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/z2lhf

What do others think? Obviously Jawai will need to improve his on his Summerleague opening game with the Mav's today, but can he become a legitimate 5-10min a game player this season at Dallas?

Topic #20464 | Report this topic

Andy  
Years ago

Jawai had a bad start in his Summer League debut.

He went 0-5 in 13 minutes and fouled out with only a one point to go with his 4 rebounds and 2 turnovers.

Reply #243294 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

No foul outs in Summer League I don't think

Reply #243295 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

10 fouls i thought this year

Reply #243298 | Report this post

Not a good reception for Jawai- ESPN's David Thorpe tweeted the following:

'I'd be excited about the 15 and 14 Lopez has, but Nathan Jawai is not as good as most centers in the pac-10.'

Reply #243299 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

ouch!

Reply #243300 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

Thats a big call based on a game after he's been travelling a lot recently. It can be assumed they have no knowledge of his recent antics v China.

Reply #243306 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Jakarta, Americans don't put as much focus on international games as they believe the NBA is the pinical of the basketball, which is reasonably justified. Look at Patty's draft position, The 2004 USA team's lack of interest in the Olympics (I mean T-Mac, Shaq etc simply refused to go to training camp because the olympics "were a waste of time" etc.

Until Nate proves himself in the league he will be overlooked. Lets hope he can show some form once he settles in, another point is that would have been his first game in Dal's offense.

Reply #243308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA is nowhere near the pinacle, but NBA clubs place more emphasis on performances under NBA rules.

Reply #243311 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

yeah from reports, Robin Lopez tore Jawai into shreds.

This is Robin Lopez, NOT Brook.

Reply #243313 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

Rockin Robin had 26 and 15 to Nates 0-5 from the field 1 point foul out

Reply #243316 | Report this post

black dracula  
Years ago

I don't see why anyone's surprised at negative reports on Jawai, realistically he hasn't shown anything during the time he's been there that he's NBA calibre.

So what's going on with the Gortat thing? do Orlando automatically have the rights to him if they match the best offer? Sucks for Gortat but it at least it shows the Magic haven't lost their marbles completely (like I thought they had after the Carter trade).

Reply #243318 | Report this post

B-Easy  
Years ago

I dont think anyone is overly suprised just disappointed.

Yes as Gortat was a restricted free agent teams could only sign him to an offer sheet which Orlando have the right to match. How does it suck for him though!? he's still netting $34 million US ovver 5 years!

Reply #243319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Gortat would've cared whether he had to leave the Magic or not. He's just gone from $700k this season to $6m+ per year for the next five years.

Like Gortat last season, Jawai is in the second and final year of his second round rookie contract this season but I doubt he'll be getting an offer like that this time next year.

Reply #243330 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Gortat and his agent both told the Magic not to match the offer. Gortat will not get many minutes behind Howard, Bass and Lewis at the 4 -5 spot. He would have played a lot more in Dallas.

Will be interesting to see how hard he plays for them now...

Reply #243335 | Report this post

black dracula  
Years ago

Well, report said Gortat wanted to go to Dallas - and despite his paycheck, he's still going to play limited minutes behind Howard.

Reply #243337 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think Otis has something up his sleeve with Gortat. He had no business matching that MLE offer. He's now got a frustrated player and pissed off agent on his hands.

Gortat didn't purely want to goto Dallas for money, he also wanted the opportunity to fight with Dampier for a starters position. He'll never get that opportunity at Orlando behind Superman.

For some reason I can see Gortat in a Rockets jersey sometime this season.

Reply #243343 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

Looking back, it is a GREAT thing that Memphis didn't use their 1st round draft pick on Jawai.

Won't make the league after his contract runs out.

Reply #243345 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

To Anon,

If the "NBA is nowhere near the pinacle" then exactly what is the pinacle?

Doesn't the NBA have the best America has to offer and, by enlarge, most of the best of what the rest of the world has to offer?

Europe has certainly caught up with the United States in basketball, but the NBA isn't the Olympics. The NBA recruits players from all over the world and I assume they are, generally speaking, the best the world has to offer.

And if the NBA isn't the pinacle, is it really "nowhere near the pinacle"? Come on...nowhere near? Just how great are you claiming these other leagues around the world are?

Reply #243347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Mavericks will sign a another center to back up Dampier. Jawai will be 3rd string and will only play in blowouts. All these guys need to learn that you need to stay in college to have a decent shot at an NBA career, like Bogut, Ogilvy and hopefully Mills.

The NBL is not good enough competition for these guys to make the next step.

Reply #243490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is done - he doesn't even appear on the Mav's Summer League Roster anymore.

Like most of you said, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he is NBA caliber - up against guys as good as him he can't hack it. I'd like to be proven wrong, but just don't see how this can happen now. Off to Europe for the big guy

Reply #243787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754