MACDUB1
Years ago

Top 5 Mistakes/Mishaps of the 2008-09 NBA Season

So Ive compiled a list of the biggest mistakes/errors/bloopers/mishaps of the NBA Season just gone..Was a tough choice between some of them, feel free to add some more.

1. Jameer Nelson's defence on Derek Fisher in a crucial game 4. Basically gave Fisher the open 3, which tied the game, Lakers won in OT and took a commanding 3-1 lead, when it could have been 2-2.

2. Cavs' loosing to Orlando in the Eastern Conference Finals, even though just about everyone had talked up a Lakers-Cavs final series, and Nike had released ads that depicted this. Magic won 4-2, which was quite convincing in the end.

3. The sacking of 8 coaches. The Thunder, Wizards, 76ers, Timberwolves, Suns, Grizzlies, Raptors, Kings all lost their coaches. Stressy GM's or plain underperformers?

4. Mark Cubans attack on Kenyon Martin via his own mother: "Your son is a punk." Cuban and Martin in a street fight would be worth a good admission fee.

5. Glen Davis=Dickhead. From crying on the bench to hiting a gamewinner and pushing the little kid out of the way. Glen Davis-Where Child Abuse Happens. But seriously when he was crying on the bench, throwing his toys out of the cot..That was ridicolous. When I saw that, I thought I was watching a primary school game.

Topic #20471 | Report this topic

Humpa  
Years ago

Did u have Anthony Carter throwing a crucial inbound pass to Trevor Ariza in game 1 of the WCF on ur list?

Reply #243359 | Report this post

MACDUB1  
Years ago

Yeah, in fact that probably should have taken the number 5 spot.

Reply #243360 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Trading away Billups was by far the worst mistake of the season.

Reply #243365 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

You do know Davis did not do that on purpose and apologised to the kid later if he got hurt. The kid should not have been that far on the curtain, and Davis was pumped up and just ran back. The crying, well that is a different story but i think he made up for it the rest of the year and was big for them when KG went down.

Reply #243368 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Trading Billups for Iverson was by far the biggest mistake of the season

Reply #243383 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Um....

Reply #243388 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Gee MacDub1, you only completely missed THE BIGGEST mishap of the 2008-09 season: KG injuring his knee! It would almost certainly have been a Celtics-Lakers rematch if he was healthy, the Lakers could easily have gone down and Kobe would still be seeking a ring without Shaq!

I'd put Yao's injury down as one of the biggest too. If he'd been fit maybe the Rockets could have knocked off the Lakers.

Cavs losing to Orlando and Nelson allowing Fisher to be a hero are definitely up there though.

I agree with JoshuaP on Davis. That kid getting knocked over was just a big beat up. The guy just made the biggest shot of his career. You can't expect him to look down at his knees to see if there was a random kid standing two feet from the court! The kid shouldn't have been there, and even so, Davis still apologised to him afterwards.

Billups trade was a big mistake for the Pistons I think. The team was on the decline and they weren't going to win the whole thing, so I can see why he decided it was time to break things up. But with the benefit of hindsight, he was impatient and made the wrong trade. Iverson totally disrupted the team chemistry and now Dumars has only ended up with Villanueva and Gordon to show for the money he shaved off their cap.

Reply #243437 | Report this post

Gheorge Muresan  
Years ago

How about Iverson ending his season early because of a "back injury". I know he is no longer one of the top guards in the league, but this proved just how spoilt the players are.

How about Elton Brand being a total dud in Phili before going out injured?

Same could be said about Baron Davis in Clipper land and a host of others around the league too I guess.

Reply #243463 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754