Jay-Jay Manners
Years ago

A New Way To Honour Former 36ers Players

The inconsistent, slap-dash way in which the Sixers have honoured former players at The Dome has always bothered me. Some former player jerseys have been hung on the wall but it seems the number itself wasn't retired. For a while there the jerseys seemed to be half falling off the wall and wasn't fixed for a long time. Then they were gone all together.

I think its time the Sixers implemented a system and stuck with it. I suggest a two tiered system.

The first tier should be the permeant retiring of jersey numbers. This is one of the great ways to honour former players. Personally I think Al Green, Darryl Pearce, Mark Davis and Brett Maher should have their jerseys put up on the wall and the number should be retired for good. These four players, at least in my mind, best represent the 36ers proud history, are four the greatest players to ever play in the NBL and either played all their careers with the 36ers or the largest/best part of it.

The second tier wouldn't involve the honour of having a number retired but recognition for players who played a long time for the Sixers without reaching the lofty heights of the four greats. This could also include imports who didn't play long enough to warrant having their jersey retired but deserve some kind of recognition. I suggest a "Wall Of Honour" which would include the players name, their jersey number and a photo of them playing. This could include players like Mike McKay, Scott Ninnis, Darnell Mee, Kevin Brooks, Bill Jones. Maybe Peter Ali, Rupert Sapwell, among others.

Perhaps the championship winning coaches (Ken Cole and Phil Smyth) could be included on the wall too.

What do you think of this idea?

Topic #20477 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

You think Julius would make the wall??

I Think its a good idea

Reply #243392 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I like it! We need more tradition and sense of history down at the dome and that's one of the best ways to do it.

Reply #243394 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I think both ideas are great. Retired numbers are an excellent way of honoring someone's playing days and are a great piece of history to have on display.

Reply #243408 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In the past, I have suggested a wall (potentially the front bit of the corporate suits) be covered with a small plaque commemorating every single player who saw court time for the 36ers, but larger plaques (or silver/gold) for those who played a number of years or won a championship, etc.

Reply #243409 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Add Robert Rose to that list and I'm sold - awesome idea.

Reply #243426 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Agreed it has been poorly handled in the past.

To recognise the legends of our club is most important for fans as they grow up, this means having the players names, faces, records etc in places where fans see them regularly.

I dont know if the picture of Brett is still in the dome (near the corporate entrance i think it was), but the number of kids (and parents) i can remember seeing measuring themselves against it was fantastic.

One of those for each of the retired number players would be perfect too.

Reply #243449 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I reckon it would be a good idea to have stuff like that. Even a number system like Cricket Australia, eg the 79th player was Joe Blow.

Reply #243524 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

I've always liked the team photos that were on the eastern wall, so to expand on that theme would get my vote.

Reply #243542 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:52 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754