Isaac
Years ago

Cairns re-signs Gary Boodnikoff

The Cairns Taipans have retained Gary Boodnikoff for the 09/10 season. They're also rumoured to be signing Graeme Dann and SEABL import Joe Werner. Plus perhaps Dwayne Vale?

I think that would put their roster to date at something like:

Import*?/Williams
Jones/Dann?
Grabau/Boodnikoff
Rychart/Werner*
Crosswhite/?

I doubt Williams is ready to start at PG, so unless they plan a ragtag PG rotation of Williams, Jones and Dann, they will probably have to find an import. Mee is out of the PG mix and it sounds like they're not convinced re Black either.

I suppose Werner, Rychart and Crosswhite can cover PF and C. Then they have SG and SF covered well enough. Not looking overly strong all up though - who's the go-to guy for a final shot, besides Jones?

Topic #20495 | Report this topic

XztatiK  
Years ago

Terrible looking team at this stage.

Don't know anything about Werner but they definitely need a gun PG, Williams is barely good enough to hold down the backup spot.

Reply #243716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, this ball-club looks extremely poor and a certain bottom four team. Dwayne Vale may have missed his chance at a spot with the re-signing of Boodnikoff. I am amazed they signed both Grabau and Boodnikoff. I thought one had to go.

Where is the Graeme Dann link coming from. He can at least help with the point guard duties if Williams struggles to run it.

Reply #243733 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rewind a few months and it wasn't even guaranteed that Cairns would even have a team in the competition. Probably best that they assemble a budget roster and stay involved than just bail.

Reply #243736 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

If they can get daniel joyce theyll have my 3 least favourite players along with dann and crosswhite.

I dont believe they sacked mee (as in darnell), they must've just offered him $10,000 a year plus 50 bucks a game and he would've realised he'd earn more as a lettuce grower. H'es too good to not have on a team this rubbish.

If Jawai gets waived and comes back they'd be a top team.

Reply #243747 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i am not a fan of the boodnikoff signing,too many streaky players for my liking.

i like williams at starting p/g,he needs this chance they are giving him to step up.very good ball handler,but needs to lift the rest of his skills to nbl standard.

cairns is about giving the local kids a chance to reach their dreams,may not win a heap of games though!

Reply #243750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vale has signed. Will be behind Jones

Reply #243775 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Maybe they're finally watching their pennies. Finally.

Reply #243781 | Report this post

US  
Years ago

Joe Werner would be a great signing for the club. He brings intesity to the defensive side of the ball and he is a rebounding machine. He is a team player and would do whatever is asked of him.

Reply #244055 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:43 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754