Isaac
Years ago

Taipans get $350k over 3yrs from state gov

Good news for the Cairns Taipans - the QLD State Government is putting up $350,000 in sponsorship over three years.

"It's been a tough 12 months for the club and I know how hard the Cairns community fought to keep their team on the court," she said.

"But it's their efforts off the court that make the Taipans more than just a basketball team and my Government is proud to support them as they prepare for their 2009-10 NBL season."

Under the deal the Taipans will become ambassadors for the government's healthy living programs.

"The players will help us promote important messages about healthy food choices and regular physical activity, encouraging positive behaviour in junior sport and working with indigenous communities and children and youth at risk."
Bit more info plus photo of Bligh attempting a lay-up

Topic #20507 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

So our Anna Bligh in Brisbane will financially support the Taipans but a year ago when the Bullets were the only Brisbane based sporting team to NOT get funding (unlike the Broncos, Reds, Lions and Roar) and needed Government assistance, she said no to a sporting icon in her own backyard?

I thought we were in a recession and times were tough- at least tougher than what they were 12 months ago.
That's one of the excuses she gave anyway, and since then the Qld Government's budget has widely been reported to be in worse shape than previously thought with the collapse of mining etc.

It's only $350k, but still...

Reply #243841 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Please let there be video of Nanna Bligh hitting a jumper, Obama style, on youtube soon!

Worth mentioning that it seems Bligh and I wear the same threads to pick up games.

Reply #243844 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

kad there WAS a video- but she had her people confiscate and burn it.

Reply #243847 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

HAHA, perhaps this was an attempt to pull votes from the Regional FNQ community?

I am not familiar with the political situation in QLD, but I would imagine that the Regional areas have a much different voting preference to the metro areas?

Call me cynical, but every decision made by Governments tend to have more than 1 motive.

Reply #243848 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Absolutely agree with you on that one!

Reply #243851 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Well, unlike previous posters I was actually touched by the gesture of helping the club in this way. The financial support from how I read the story came about as an acknowledgement of the community involvement in getting the team back on court. Not only that the club is giving something back to the government by way of the players becoming ambassadors for the Healthy Living programs to help promote healthy life choices for children. Its a great idea. Its a shame that financial assistance wasn't given to Brisbane when they needed it to stay afloat but that doesn't mean that if its no for one its no for all. The government has proved this time and time again in the unbalanced way they support different sports.

Reply #243877 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

that's great, its almost 80% of what the ACT govt gave the Canberra capitals during the jackson years

Reply #243886 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Was there strong community support for the Bullets?

Reply #243900 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

it has been seen as a really positive thing in fnq.
for one thing,it means that the players will be going back to grass roots(kids etc) with the healthy living message.

i am not sure how ANYONE can see that as a negative thing.

it may also be a message to other clubs that this is the kind of sports model that the government will support.

it will take a while to build(getting wins on court) on the foundation that is being laid but when you look at townsville you see it is very possible for a community based/owned to have off/on court success.

Reply #243903 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Perhaps what's been said has been taken out of context.
I didn't say it's a terrible horrible no good very bad thing for a team to be supported- just that a team in Anna's own city was told they couldn't be helped as they didn't have the money.... might need to read the previous posts again?

Reply #243905 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But did the Bullets have any sort of community ownership model, already implemented like the Taipans? I think that's a clear difference.

Reply #243906 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

HAHA,

Whats the story with the funding of the other teams? Are the bronco's etc getting direct funding or 'sponsorship" funding through a statutory authority as such.

If Bligh would not give the bullets a hand-out when they were trying to get on their feet then fair enough, but many many professional teams in australian sport get government 'sponsorship" funding.

The Lightning were the "Quit" Lightning for many years, Geelong in the AFL are supported by TAC as have been collingwood, richmond and essendon.

there is a huge difference between "survival" funding and 'sponsorship" funding.

Reply #243907 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

The Bullets weren't offered either.
They met with Judy Spence the Minister for Sport at the time and they got nothing but excuses.
After some backlash from the public when the news broke of another disinterested party, it was taken to Anna Bligh who also said no to any sort of funding and sponsorship.
I don't know if they and other such parties were 'uninterested' due to Eddy's continued involvement at the time- I remember the state Gov't was facing a lot of backlash from parents at the time re the collapse of ABC and what the Gov't was going to do about the child care facilities in Qld and how many families couldn't afford to not have their kids in day care if they worked fulltime etc- I don't know if that had something to do with their reluctance.
But it has been widely reported in the past that out of all Brisbane sporting codes, the Bullets never ever got any type of Gov't assistance, and at a time where the public needed to keep their team, the Gov't stance of 'it's not financially viable for us to get invovled' was too cryptic, unhelpful and inconsistent when it flew in the face of their funding for other sporting codes.

Reply #243908 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok, so how is the funding distributed to the other sporting codes. Do the Bronco's get a direct cash distribution, or is it paid to Queensland Rugby league?

In other words, is the sport getting the cash (all state governments support sport) or is the pro team getting cash, and if they do how do they get it?

Reply #243919 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i figure the govt wouldnt give the bullets any money because it would have gone straight into paying eddies debts.
they would have had no way of knowing where the money went once it was handed over.

with the community owned taipans,the money will be going around in a circle from state govt sponsor to local govt guarantee to state govt landlord.

a very safe,transparent and traceble gamble by govt.

Reply #243947 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Possibly true, but imagine if that was your team and the entire team dissolved as a result.
I guess all we can do is hope the next assclown that gets on his soapbox claiming he wants to resurrect the team can actually pull it off, and in a way that is fitting of what the fans deserve.
A two year habit of no basketball has been created and fans have reluctantly found other things to get involved in.

Reply #243951 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

HAHA - the taipans were 99 percent down the gurgler, until a few die hard people and a community pulled it out of the 's bends',so we have got a fair idea what it felt like to lose your team.

i have been flying the flag of reformm for years,as a business owner, i knew the league was doomed the way it was going.
its problems (rogue owners) were spiralling out of control and further into debt.

HAHA the on court product is solid in australia and everybody should feel a bit more confident as clubs start to find (hopefully) the right business models.

i hope the people of brisbane get behind the bullets revival.

Reply #243961 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

As for reform etc, gosh I think we've all been singing that song for some time now!
Have a look at some of the older posts regarding what was going on in Brisbane and the issues all clubs have been facing since- it's easy for us in business to pinpoint areas of concern and provide solutions but until the vote went through not enough people in significant areas of the game were listening.

Unlike Cairns and Wollongong, I hope Brisbane are actually given the opportunity to get involved, because we weren't- it's a lot harder to resurrect a club after folding as opposed to striking while the iron is hot when emotions are high and so is interest.

Reply #243964 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

You south Qlders are just whingers who copped out on basketball(mens and womens) and now want back in..

Pull your fingers out and make your own luck.

You get every cent out of 90% of junior basketball carnivals that are scheduled in south Qld.When not one complex south of Cairns has 4 individual sectioned off A/C courts in the state!

Reply #244242 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

"Copped out" on basketball?
Thanks for your in depth analysis and glad you could bring some intelligent facts to the discussion!

Reply #244259 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754