TR
Years ago

Possible NBA Trade: Chandler for Okafor

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING MJ?????

It appears that a trade between the Bobcats and the Hornets is near completion.

It's basically going to be a swap. Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor....

Cats are in financial trouble, Hornets need to shake things up. A team of CP3, Okafor and West goes pretty well.

http://linky.com.au/qzs1r

Topic #20577 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

There are now stories that Iverson is house hunting in Charlotte.....

Reply #244838 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Getting hard for me to keep defending MJ as a GM. He made some good moves last year, and Coach Brown had the team playing well, but this is a stupid trade. Chandler had a trade canned last season due to a medical failing, so he is a risk. He has no post game, just good at dunking.
Oak has good game, has much more upside, and has played in Brown's system already.

TR can you imagine if Iverson ends up there and MJ heads down for scrimmages??

Reply #244842 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I don't want to imagine DB5.... I'm just putting my head in the sand and pretending this isn't happening...

I wish Artest came to Charlotte, just so he could pound MJ again during scrimmages.

Reply #244844 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol.

Who is the PG there now. Felton is gone isn't he?

Reply #244850 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Felton is a restricted free agent. Contract negiotations are currently on going..

I wish that they would trade him and Okafor to NO for Paul and Chandler. Not going to happen but I'd be very happy...

Reply #244852 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Saw this today too. Seems like a retrograde step for Charlotte. Not sure of contract lengths, but I think Chandler's is shorter, so at best they are trying to save some money in a couple of years!

I like the Bobcats players, so this is disappointing, but what can you expect when the rumours are that the Bobcats are haemorrhaging money and the owner wants to sell.

Hornets get a little better, but its not enough to get them back in contention. They're stuck in neutral until they can retool their roster with some good shooting talent and defensive ability at the 2 and 3.

Reply #244853 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

TR - I think they need to try to cash Felton in for some other piece. DJ Augustin is looking the goods at PG so there isn't room for both of them long term.

Hopefully for the Bobcats, they can resign Felton for a reasonable price and then look for the right trade. They'll only get mid-level wing talent for him at best though I reckon. Might be better off trying to turn him into a high 1st rounder, where there is a chance they can find a quality power forward to put alongside Chandler.

Including either Diaw or Wallace in a package with Felton might give the Bobcats more purchasing power too.

Reply #244854 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

But Diaw and Wallace are 2 of their better pieces to build around.

Wasn't there rumours of Felton in a sign and trade with Washington?

Reply #244855 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Chandler only has 1 year left, then the option for another year. This season is around $11 mill whilst if he takes the option, then the following season is around $12.8 mill.

Overall this deal saves the Cats around $40 million. Okafor still has 5 years to go. Makes them big players in 2011 free agency.

Boob Johnson is desperate to sell the franchise.

I know the Kings are shopping Kevin Martin at the moment, and they need a quality PG. Tyreke Evans ain't a PG, and he and Martin both play the same position in the same game style. Evans jump shoot is almost as ugly as Martin's. Do a S&T, Felton + 2nd rounder for Martin.

If (and it's a big if) Chandler is healthy then I don't totally hate the trade so much. Felton isn't CP3 so I don't know if Chandler will be as effective offensively. I just detest giving up the face of the franchise for Tyson Freaking Chandler. Defensively, Chandler isn't as good as Okafor, but it's not a huge difference.

Reply #244857 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Actually I would love the Bulls to jump into this. Offer MJ :Tyrus, Kirk (hate to lose him) and whoever to balance the salaries, for Okafur and Felton.

Just don't see MJ ever doing business with the Bulls though....

Reply #244858 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Tyrus and Kirk don't get you Felton and Okafor...

Tyrus is crap, Kirk is okay with a nice contract.

Reply #244860 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Tyrus is a younger, better Chandler though..

Reply #244861 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Disagree with that DB5 - Tyrus is not a legit centre. He's more an athletic PF/ SF type who blocks shots but doesn't shoot well enough. I see him as a poor mans Josh Smith.

On Diaw and Wallace, I like both of them on the Bobcats, but realistically, to become a top 4 or 5 team in the East, they can't play them both in the frontcourt. The Bobcats will need a good, bulky PF with a post game to offset their otherwise lightweight frontcourt.

So I see the Bobcats being willing to give up one or the other along with Felton as possible trade bait to get a good big man (though this would probably still not be enough to get the talent level they need).

Reply #244868 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

He has worked on his shot a lot in the last year, but fair call with that.

I wouldn't want to lose Hinrich anyway.

Reply #244870 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

I think Diaw is very underrated as a PF in the NBA. Is a good defender can score from anywhere on the floor and also gets others involved. He was their best player last season after he was traded. Clearly a trade to put them in the 2011 free agent game. If they resign felton or trade him, with DJ, diaw and chandler i think they have a good nucleus going forward.

The big question mark with chandler is can he actually play without CP3 on the floor?

Reply #244877 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

This has Larry Browns fingerprints all over it.

Don't be too quick to point the blame at MJ.

Okafor is too small to play center,
Diaw is the guy they want playing pf, Brown likes having a good defender in the post to build the team defence around- whether that guy is chandler...?

Reply #245080 | Report this post

Rip  
Years ago

Personally i think that NO are the winners out of this trade..Okafor is a 10 point+ and 10 rebound+ player. Chandler is a very talented player but has had alot of injury problems in the past. If healthy Chandler can be a very good player but hes spent more time off the court than he has on the court..Okafor playing with CP3 will only make his stats go up.

Reply #245971 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

New Orleans definately win here. Paul to Okafor will be a very continuous call for years to come.

Chandler will flame out within 3 years I think. If he does not convert on lobs, he does not have much of an offensive game.

However, if Coach Brown can turn him into a major defensive stopper (which he is known to do), then add another major scorer to this squad, then Charlotte are right in the middle of the East..IMO.

Reply #245973 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

After calming down a bit and getting my head around Charlotte trading it's franchise face, I'm not too sure that Emeka playing with CP3 will make his stats increase a whole lot. Okafor isn't as long or athletic as what Chandler was. CP3 got an extra 2 or 3 assists a game by chucking it to the front of the rim and having Chandler coming through.

Okafor can't do what Chandler could do for NO, but Chandler has the potential to do what Okafor did do for Charlotte. Play defence, be healthy, hit the boards and block shots is all I want Chandler to do.. Okafor has hands made of stone, no post game and isn't that athletic. I don't think he can get up like Chandler can. Chandler is Mr Glass and has turnover problems and has a similar limited offensive game.

From all reports Chandler hasn't felt this good and healthy in years. That's a big positive.

NO definately get the better overall player, but lets wait unti 2011 to see how this trade pans out. NO owe Emeka another $60 million, Charlotte owe Chandler $20 mill over the next 2 years. I understand why Charlotte did this, but I'm not too sure why NO did this. Yeah, they get a slightly better and healthier player, but at an extra $40 mill over 5 years and they are not the most financially strongest club getting around, with a notoriously cheap owner (not Sterling league,but not far from it. Shinn could of built a contender with the Charlotte Hornets, but pissed away LJ and Zo).

Overall, with a healthy Chandler I don't think Charlotte's record with change much from last year, they'll be around a 35 win team.

Reply #245974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:26 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754