LC
Years ago

Boomers tour of South America

The Boomers squad that has been selected to play games in South America ahead of the New Zealand series have now left the country. The team is as follows:

Australia's men’s basketball team for South American tour:

David BARLOW / Melbourne Tigers / 25 / 205cm
Aron BAYNES / Washington State / 22 / 208cm
Matt BURSTON / Adelaide 36ers / 26 / 210cm
Jason CADEE / AIS /18 / 185cm
Peter CRAWFORD / Townsville Crocodiles / 29 / 193cm
Matthew DELLAVEDOVA / AIS / 18 / 189cm
Oscar FORMAN / New Zealand Breakers (NZ) / 27 / 206cm
Adam GIBSON / Gold Coast Blaze / 22 / 188cm
Joe INGLES / South Dragons / 21 / 203cm
Nathan JAWAI / Dallas Mavericks (USA) / 22 / 208cm
Luke NEVILL / Utah / 23 / 216cm
Stephen WEIGH / Perth Wildcats / 22 / 202cm

To me this is an absolute development squad, with only David Barlow and Joe Ingles remaining from the team that represented Australia in the Beijing Olympics. Jawai is the only other guy (and perhaps Gibson) who IMO) have realistic shots at playing at the World Champ's next year (I'm happy to be proven wrong).

On face value it is a great opportunity college graduates such as Aron Baynes amd Luke Nevill to prove their worth not only on the international stage, but also in senior basketball against pros. The same could be said for Matt Dellavedova and Jason Cadee, both players from the AIS and on the recent Emu's World Champ's team.

Dellavedova and Cadee's selection alongside Adam Gibson highlight the concern there isa t the 1 spot and these guys are getting a chance to fast track their development.

Crawford gets a shot at proving his worth, as does Weigh, Forman and Burston.

However such a team had me thinking; who would be in the Boomers's best possible line-up right now if we were to pick the World Champiopnshiop team - with everyone healthy.

Here is the 12 I came up with:

Andrew Bogut
David Andersen
Nate Jawai
Brad Newley
CJ Bruton
Patrick Mills
Matt Neilson
Joe Ingles
David Barlow
Mark Worthington
Adam Gibson
James Harvey

On the edge of selection (in no particular order):

Damien Ryan
AJ Ogilvy
Luke Schenscher
Luke Nevill
Aron Baynes
Peter Crawford
Adam Ballinger
Steven Weigh
Matt Burston

What do others think or suggest?

Topic #20580 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I heard thru friend of some 6'ers, Balls and Schensch would've gone but Brown thought Schensch's back injury was a risk and Balls's wife is having a baby this week so they already knew he wasn't available. And stating the obvious, Injuries really slimmed down our other best options for this trip. Yeah IMO I reckon it is a bit of development squad too but it's still a good team.

Reply #244863 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would personally replace Andersen with Ballinger, but the rest of that team looks good.

I dont agree with having AJ Ogilvy, Luke Nevill,
Aron Baynes or Steven Weigh as fringe players though. More potential future players.

Schenscher, Burston, Crawford, Andersen, Black (if he can ever be healthy enough), Redhage, Saville, Martin and Kendall (but only in 2008 Kings form) as my immediate fringe players.

But certainly in terms of planning for the future, the above guys plus Wagstaff, Goulding, Petrie, Bruce, Markovic, Hill etc would be my next tier.

Damien Ryan is not an international level player.

Reply #244865 | Report this post

darwin in nbl  
Years ago

I'd replace worthington with aaron baynes, wortho should basically not play international basketball, too slow to not be a beast down low and not a good enough shooter or defender to play 3. Otherwise perfect team. Gibson would be a fringe player as he should be, perhaps youd consider aaron bruce as he played in 2006 champs.

Reply #244891 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

WHhere are they playing in South America?

Reply #244934 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Here is the Boomer's upcoming schedule, both in South America and right up to and including the Stankovic Cup:

July 30-Aug 4 - Tournament in Argentina
(AUS v Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina: 3 games)

Aug 6-10 - Tournament in Brazil
(AUS v Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina: 3 games)

Aug 18-22 - Camp 3 – Sydney, NSW

Aug 23 - FIBA Oceania Championship
Game 1, AUS v NZ, Sydney

Aug 25 - FIBA Oceania Championship
Game 2, AUS v NZ, Wellington

Aug 28-31 - Stankovic Cup, Kunshan, China
(AUS v Turkey, Angola, China: 4 games)

Reply #244936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

July 30-Aug 4 - Tournament in Argentina (AUS v Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina: 3 games)
Aug 6-10 - Tournament in Brazil (AUS v Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina: 3 games)
Talking to Oscar right now - says they just saw Ginobili at "Stadium Manu Ginobili" and saw Scola at lunch.

I think he's 'looking forward' to his match-ups at PF this tournament - potentially Scola, Nocioni, Splitter, maybe a bit of Varejao. Some rough opposition if those guys play (and I think the Boomers are expecting them to).

Says it's freezing cold over there. Long flight then an immediate bus trip out to somewhere that was just a lunch stop, then they slept on the floor (!?) somewhere before another flight onwards.

Reply #244938 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just saw a Boomers update on Twitter basically saying the same thing Isaac. Freezing cold in unheated stadium (less than 5 degrees), and Manu Ginobili has been hanging around the stadium.

Boomers will get roughed up for sure.

I looked ip the Argentine Basketball website and found this after using Yahoo Babelfish to decipher the Spanish:

"Through www.cabb.com.ar from the 19,30 hours the radial trasmisión of the encounter between the selections of Argentina and Australia will be able to be followed live."

For those that can try, you may be able to ctahc the game live online from now (it is 7:30pm in Buenos Aires right now). I'm still working on finding the actual link...Isaac - can you help?

Reply #244941 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Scrub that - their first game is not until the 1st August...just realised (I got excited)!
But at least we know we should be able to follow the game live in Spanish!

Reply #244942 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If the Argentines include guys like Manu and Scola we are going to get schooled! Very much looks like a development squad to me.

Although development is good, I note that we only have this tour plus a four day camp to get ready for the Kiwis at the end of August. Why have so few of our first choice players made themselves unavailable?

Obviously Mills can't. Would have thought Andersen could play as he has been signed by Houston and has security. Bogut must be pretty close to 100% by now. Is he just too unfit still, or being cautious given his injury probs the last two years? Any reason why Newley isn't available? How about CJ Bruton and Anstey?

Anyone else a bit concerned that so few first choice players are going to be able to prepare as a team for the Oceania series? We wouldn't want to go down to the Kiwis and miss out on the next Worlds like we did under Smyth nearly 10 years ago!

Also, what do people think our lineup in Sth America will look like? Not sure myself but guessing something like:

Nevill Burston
Jawai Forman Baynes
Barlow Crawford Weigh
Ingles Dellavedova
Gibson Cadee

We'll need a big step forward from Ingles, Barlow and Jawai to compete IMO.

Reply #244982 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No doubt they are going to get seriously challenged over there. Burston was a late inclusion, so the bigs might be Jawai and Nevill, and the PFs Baynes and Forman? But, having never seen Nevill play, perhaps Burston will get more time. At least Jawai and Baynes have some weight to throw at Scola and the like.

Gibson and the rookies up against Barbosa - what an opportunity to test themselves against one of the fastest around.

Reply #244990 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Beantown: "We wouldn't want to go down to the Kiwis and miss out on the next Worlds like we did under Smyth nearly 10 years ago!"

I'd like to clarify that we can't miss out on the world's this time around. With the expansion from 16 teams to 24 at each Woprld Champs, two Oceania teams qualify. Australia and New Zealand are essentially playing off for the top seed from Oceania and a potentially better draw.

I think Argentina and Brazil will go in with their best possible line-ups against us as they prepare for their World Championship qualification tournaments. Both teams have yet to qualify for the 2010 World Championships and will be out to do their best in preparation for the FIBA Americas Tourney. Only USA and Turkey have direct qualification.

Agree with the fact that Jawai, Ingles and Barlow in particular need to step up and take ownership of this Boomers development team. For all three it would arguably be the first time they have ever been the focal points of a team at this high level.

Brett Brown has said his focus is for 2012 in London however surely we should be putting our best feet forward for 2010 in Turkey as well?

I'm a bit miffed that Andersen and Neilson are not playing, and what is CJ up to at the moment? I can appreciate Bopgut is not playing to ensure he is fully rehabbed, but the others???

Reply #244995 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

CJ recently had clean up ankle surgery

Reply #245006 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Isaac, I don't think throwing weight at Scola is going to help! From watching him at both the Olympics and in the NBA, he is crafty and pretty quick for a PF - too quick for any of the big guys we have!

LC, thanks for the clarification. Getting the top seed from Oceania is still important, but at least we can't fail to qualify!

Paul, thanks for the news on CJ. I think we can just assume Bogut is being extra cautious in not playing, but that still leaves Andersen, Newley, Nielsen and Anstey. Would be interested if anyone knows why those guys aren't stepping forward.

Reply #245078 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Anstey has apparently retired from International basketball so we are not likely to see him wear the Boomers singlet in competition again.

Also, I note that Cleveland Cavalier Anderson Varejao is a near certainty to suit up for Brazil against the Boomers development team after publicy stating his full support for Brazil in the lead up to the FIBA America tournament.

Varejao Link: http://linky.com.au/wdiww

Also, another article on fibaamericas.com confirms that Varejao and Leandro Barbosa will both be playing.

Link: http://linky.com.au/ptkjf

"Leandrinho Barbosa (Phoenix Suns) and Anderson Varejao (Cleveland Cavaliers) already reported to the practices led by head coach Moncho Monsalve."

Reply #245087 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nielsen and Andersen were both at camp. But neither are spring chickens anymore and are probably resting their bodies.

Both would have played 60-odd games of basketball in the last year.

Bogut is still recovering from his injury.

Newley passed up this international season to push for an NBA roster spot. Given that he has played the past 6 international seasons I think he is allowed a rest.

I think the most important thing is that all these guys are avaialble from June all the way through to the WCs which start in late August.

We will have mostly the same team from Beijing, and if they can spend the best part of 2-3 months preparing together for Turkey, we will be a great chance.

Reply #245095 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

I Have to agree with Paul... that when the dust settles, this World Championships team will very much be the Beijing olympic team add Jawai (depending on injuries). That should make some nations scared...

I mean, Cj Bruton, Patrick Mills, Newley,Harvey, Barlow, Ingles, Jawai, Bogut, Neilson, Anderson and the other positions up got grabs...

I think that team could push for a medal..

Reply #245141 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

In sense some sarcasm perhaps?

Let's be honest though, different coach may make a difference. Goorj didn't know what to do with the bigs he had in his team.

Mills will only gett better as he matures, and the lieks of Barlow, Ingles, Jawai and even Newley will continue to get better. Bogut was also showing signs of continued development before his injury.

And if the big names do get a fair amount of court time together before Turkey 2010, then they have every chance of doing well. A top 8 finish should be the minimum pass mark IMO.

At least to Brown's credit, he has listed London 2012 as his goal to get a medal. By then CJ will be gone, and guys like AJ Ogilvy, Baynes, Nevill, Maric, and a host of others will hopefully be ready to make an impact on the international scene as well.

Reply #245147 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I suspect CJ will be gone by then too, but apart from his ankles he is still playing as well as ever. If he is still dominating the NBL it would be hard to overlook him.

But, like I said, I think the ankles may not be up to international play by the stage.

Reply #245151 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754