Isaac
Years ago

Fox-NBL deal to include 50 live games inc finals

FOX SPORTS BACKS BASKETBALL

The National Basketball League's long association with Australia’s leading sports broadcaster FOX SPORTS is set to continue, with the announcement of a new agreement with Basketball Australia for the 2009/10 NBL season and the Boomers and Opals international matches.

The agreement will see FOX SPORTS broadcast over 50 matches live starting in September, including every game of the 2009/10 NBL Finals series.

Additionally, throughout August and September FOX SPORTS will broadcast LIVE the Boomers and Opals games against the New Zealand Tall Blacks and Tall Ferns.

The new one-year deal will ensure that basketball in Australia will continue to have a strong television presence through FOX SPORTS, extending a relationship that first began almost 15 years ago.

FOX SPORTS Chief Executive Officer David Malone said basketball had proven to be a valuable property for the network and was looking forward to what promises to be a thrilling 2009/10 season.

"The NBL is very popular with subscribers and we see basketball as an important part of FOX SPORTS’ overall sports package," said Malone. "Basketball Australia has made the difficult choice of undergoing some short-term pain for the long-term benefit of the sport as part of their commercial review, and we’re excited about the direction of Basketball in Australia.”

Larry Sengstock, Chief Executive Officer of Basketball Australia, said the deal showed the great faith FOX SPORTS have in basketball as premium sports programming.

“FOX SPORTS commitment to increased coverage of the NBL in the 2009/10 season by almost double the coverage of last season is a very public endorsement of our reform strategy and an affirmation of the current and potential value of basketball in this country.” said Sengstock.

“We are excited about the prospect of working in partnership with FOX SPORTS to build the profile of basketball in 2010 by entrenching our community linkages and reconnecting our elite competition with the 600,000-plus participants who play basketball.”

FOX SPORTS has developed a strong base in Melbourne with its extensive AFL, tennis and Fox Sports News production and will expand its presence in the market with all future basketball production now being managed from FOX SPORTS’ Melbourne studio.

The Season Opener - Breakers v Taipans will be shown LIVE on FOX SPORTS 3 at 5.30pm EST on 24 September.
So what's that, about 40 regular season games?

Topic #20605 | Report this topic

darwin in nbl  
Years ago

friggin coolness

Reply #245146 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Will be closer to 50 regular season games I believe. 20 week season, with TV for, give or take, 14 NZ Thurs home games, 18 Weds games and Saturdays most weeks. On top of that there will be all playoff games (between 6-9).

Means each team will be on an average of approx 13 times, but of course some will be less and some more.

Reply #245149 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

You beauty!

Reply #245150 | Report this post

jamesH  
Years ago

I've posted the news on australiabasket.com, it's good news but ONEHD should be the aim next year, even if it's only once a week.

I still cant believe the nbl kicks off 2 days before the afl grand final. I know it's not between 2 AFL-strong regions but the principle of it seems rather absurd.

http://linky.com.au/v1u3n

Reply #245152 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As I've said, last I heard, the guy who manages Sport at Ten has a bit of an historical beef with the NBL. Got screwed over in the past and probably isn't in a hurry to do the league any favours, as I understand it.

If it were possible, One HD would be great though.

Reply #245153 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Good News,... but where will i get my Gilligans island fix :)

Reply #245160 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It is pretty damn good compared to last year, and better than theyear before that too. Only 2007 had more games on Fox from memory, and given there are less games this year, having approx 45-46 of 112 regular season games and then all playoffs is pretty good.

I wonder if there is still the possibility of extra games if clubs pay for the broadcast? That would be a nice sweetener

Reply #245161 | Report this post

DoDaBonk  
Years ago

Am I the only one who thinks it's strange that we had no Melb teams, and now we have the broadcast production run from Melbourne where the Tigers were resurected?
Hope were going to get a fair go. Look what happened when everything got centralised in Sydney. Titletown!!!

Reply #245192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this means lots of Melbourne Tigers games and other teams getting screwed over as per normal?

I'd love to see Adelaide shown on Fox Sports atleast 10 times this year.

Reply #245320 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Expect approx 5 of the first 7 to be Tigers games. I think Melb and NZ will have the most, but I expect Adelaide to be right up there too.

Reply #245324 | Report this post

two basketball  
Years ago

The actual first few games to be broadcast on Fox will be:
Thursday Sep 24 - NZ vs Cairns
Wednesday Sep 30 - Mel vs NZ
Friday Oct 2 - Tville vs Perth
Wednesday Oct 7 - Cairns vs Gold Coast

I have been told there is just one Saturday or Sunday game shown in the first 7 rounds.

Reply #245360 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:14 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754