mp
Years ago

Great news for ABL season

Going by Boti's Article in the paper today, it looks like Brett Maher to be suiting up with darren Ng in the Backcourt at Sturt.

Sturt have just really put themselves in the top 3 if Maher plays. He played 2 games last season, didn't he score an average of about 70 points across both games?

Also mentions Woodville chasing Rees, they need him! A bit thin in the Big Man dept.

Topic #2062 | Report this topic

mp  
Years ago

For the record, I am not Sturt Biased. I am a referee. All I am saying is this will possibly raise the profile of the league, and will raise the quality of play.

Reply #23265 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Maher
Ng
Gower
Forman

Another title?

Reply #23266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturty sixers, sturty sixers - bring em on!
Victory will be sweeter

Reply #23269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can remember one of Maher's games last season (against South) and I think he had 19 or 21 or something? He certainly didn't look to be pushing himself though.

Reply #23274 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Ahh bobbie.

Great for the league! Perhaps this will get some people to actually show up to Sturt games...

On the other hand, they could just have every home game against the Tigers in a knock-out final ;)

Seriously though, if Bobbie does play 18 games, if Sturt don't finish top fire Castle right then and their... GET PHIL ON THE STAFF he'd be about the only sixer left!!!!

Sturty Sixers indeed... Did anyone say Salary Cap???

Reply #23276 | Report this post

fat dougs  
Years ago

ahh...19 or 21....yes i remember the game, maher took regular naps throughout the game....that is how hard he was trying....can you imagine a game on the line in the 4th.....maher would take over the game, i have no doubt!!.....only on ebasketball to shoot!!

Reply #23284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Darren!! (NOT)

Reply #23285 | Report this post

maverick  
Years ago

hmm resticted players or have they removed that rule for the double blue

Reply #23289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What are the specifics regarding the restricted player rule? Two per team, so something like that? Is there anything about number of games played? Or average minutes?

Williams has gone and maybe Ng and Maher won't play the full season? Not sure. Would Gower now be considered a restricted player?

Perhaps Ng and Gower are under the MPG threshold?

Darren played 10.53 MPG with the 36ERS and Gower 2.82.

Reply #23292 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

The clubs got sent a list of NBL and WNBL players who have been named on 1 scoresheet for the seasons just passed. The list the players as either restricted or un-restricted. I think (will have to check the listings again) that it has gone on average minutes. Two restricted players per team.

Reply #23308 | Report this post

Lev Makaev  
Years ago

If sturt dont take out the title it says something about the sixers. How could any team be close to them. Im dissapointed in Ng going to sturt coz i loved watching him play for woodville.
I think having that many sixers players is ridiculous shouldnt they be spread to make the comp fairer - not so its at a point of not even supporting?

Reply #23323 | Report this post

Riley  
Years ago

I believe to be a restricted player one must average 12 minutes a game or more at NBL level. If true, that would make Ng and Gower both unrestricted. Rules are rules.....bring em on!

Reply #23431 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I take it that the ABL season will finish long before the start of the next NBL season. I can just imagine Sturt being on the top of the ladder for most of the season, only to have 3 players left playing the grand final because Phil won't let the Sixers players play.

Reply #23519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you dont hav to make the comp fair plyers go were they want to go

Reply #23566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt should just ask Brad Hill and Jacob Holmes to return to the club, being former juniors and who cares about the ABA season they can just play the winner of the minor round for the title next september.

Reply #23630 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I agree with Anonymous, you can't force players to play for any one team. They go where they want.
Some chase titles, some play for coaches they like and respect, some are lured by the dream of one day playing NBL/NBA.

Reply #23642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

choice go Sturt

Reply #23668 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

I don't think Brett will play

Reply #23687 | Report this post

Straight from the horses mouth - hes not playing or at least thats what he's saying to people!!!

Reply #23694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:33 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754