Country
Years ago

Once a Div One....Always ?? Or not.

I have a child that has been asked to play for a particular Div one team under 12's. I must say that this team is very well run and cared for, and we being from the country are very honoured at the oppurtunity. The standard of basketball is on a par to our country comp. My question is, generally when kids start off in div one. do they usually stay in div one right through juniours. Or hop in and out of different divs ???

Topic #2067 | Report this topic

In the Know  
Years ago

It depends on the commitement of the player and the family and also whether they will cope playing in the competiiton in the city as it does vary from country to city. You have to be careful of promises that you make to these kids as no club can assure the player will stay in Div 1. Some clubs do make promises that they don't deliver on. Is this boys or girls grade? i would hope that with the travel that you will do that you would be looked after in Div 1 as you would not get a lot out of playing the lower grades.

Reply #23316 | Report this post

Country  
Years ago

Thanks for your reply, In The Know.

Without giving too much away, its girls. And i will say that she has been looked after by this club outstandingly.

The commitment is there from her and us, and she does very well in her own competition. One or two MVP's at country carnivals.

Not on here to brag, but just very curious on her future. We want to back her all the way. Just wondering what we are in for.

Reply #23318 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Is she currently playing or coming down for the main winter season. It does make it hard for country players because of travel and especially as she is still young it can be daunting. A lot of travel obviously, Melbourne classics, state champs both country and metro. You can't go wrong with playing her in the city. The only long term problem is whether you all get tired travelling from where you live each week.

Reply #23321 | Report this post

Country  
Years ago

She played the last 3 games this season. Then semi final. Geez ive given too much away but that doesnt matter, we have nothing to hide.

She will be playing in the Easter Classic ( but has a carnival in Adelaide with her country team a week before )

Then play for her BASA club every fortnight in the new season. Travel doesnt bother her. In my eyes she's a little champ. Budding Erin Phillips. But of course im her dad. Once again thanks to the club that has graciously given her the chance.

Reply #23322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

under 12's you have a long way to go my friend and i suggest you take it one season at a time, because growth, skill, committment, and self motivation,and the different coaches she will have on her journey through juniors will all have an influence.Your child is only 10 or 11 this year, breath deeply.
What is scary is your new to district basketball and you have already as a parent posted something on this forum (you have the makings of being "one of those parents" the next erin phillips in the making, are you trying to set your daughter up for failure or what)

Reply #23333 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Anonymous,

Well said. Lets face it the odds of a child playing for Australia and even WNBL are very remote and what i have read and seen there is no player in the Under 12 girls that fits that profile yet. Anonymous is right, these kids are only 10 or 11 and have a long way to go. Enjoy watching your child play. If she makes it to the top she will, if she doesn't just enjoy watching her play.A lot of parents forget this.

Reply #23337 | Report this post

Country  
Years ago

Well said, and no definately not trying to set her up for failure.

Just my way of suporting her. I always ask her if shes enjoying it.....her answer is always yes.

So its hard for me to be as negative as some of you are !!

Reply #23341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And from another country person who travels and sees alot of other associations, there are no U12 girls country competions on a par with Adelaide standard.

Reply #23342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just support her without blowing horns for her because nothing is more off putting to others than how good little johnny or jenny is from the parents point of few.From my experience this then esculates into she didnt play well because of a reason she has no control of (her other team mates)
"so hard for me to be negative as some of you are"
gotta luv fresh blood, dont ya

Reply #23345 | Report this post

Country  
Years ago

I'm not sure about that. Cause our girls win most of their country carnivals.

My daughters team did very well in BASA. Made the semis, but got their butts kicked by a team full of very large, generally unskilled girls. The skills will pan out as they get older mark my words.

Anyway thanks for all your replys. Good debate !! We need to keep our juniours alive...as they are our future. Without them our cop is dead.

Reply #23347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So.... your daughter plays for either southern or norwood and to say that your daughters team was thumped by a tall unskilled team, would make them either forestville or sturt and you obviously have no idea which clubs have the better junior programs.Basketball is a tall person sport and if you are a short person to suceed you must be extremely skilled. Good luck with being in district basketball but i think you need to keep a lower profile for now.

Reply #23351 | Report this post

Country  
Years ago

Well said above. Lower profile from now on it is. Just trying to feel the way. Its easy for emotions to get in the way.

I dont agree that Basketball is a tall persons game. Skills shine through most of the time.

Its debate for sure. We will see what happens. I think my girl has a spirit that very few have. Once again i'm her dad. I just dont want our sport to die. Lets keep it going.

Reply #23355 | Report this post

Country  
Years ago

Quote " And from another country person who travels and sees alot of other associations, there are no U12 girls country competions on a par with Adelaide standard. "

Why then do a lot of your coaches come and poach our players. Many names i could mention.

I could keep my daughter out of your comp, and so could many others..all to the less of BASA.

Reply #23359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"poaching" ???????

mate - here's some advice

don't waste your time and money

with your attitude she won't be around in 4 years time when it counts

Reply #23362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

arh...but to go further with basketball you need exposure and to get it you come to the city, dont start knocking the hands that give you that exposure because it is very few kids that go on to make it big in basketball from country sa.If your from the country it is called recruiting, if your from the city it is call poaching, that is why certain clubs go country looking for fresh blood because they cant be accused of poaching and countey folk generally swallow the dribble that they spout.

Reply #23364 | Report this post

Country  
Years ago

I just wanted some genuine advice. Its turned out to be a bun fight. No wonder Basketball is dying in S.A.

Sorry i asked. You wont hear from me again. Just watch out for the name.

Reply #23366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have had 7 kids play in my Under 12 girls from the country over the last 4 years. I have never made the first approach and have never "dribbled". The coaches I know are realistic in their assessment, perhaps even a little too conservative because they are aware of the sacrifice and commitment involved. Players come because parents want them to have the best opportunity and they are generally untested by their peers in thier Under 12 competitions. It is possible for them to compete a grade hgiher but that will come to a logical end after a couple of years.

In 20 years of coaching I have also seen many country "champions" go missing due to over zealous parenting and pressure.

BTW I may be wrong but I am not sure that Erin Phillips played basketball for West as an U/12??

In the meantime Dad just let the girl grow in her club - she has a good coach that I respect greatly and she is in a club that has a good idea of how to nurture players. And please stay away from saying things like other players are unskilled in this public forum - they are Under 12 Girls - they are all unskilled!!!!

Reply #23372 | Report this post

Dick Vitale  
Years ago

Country,

Personally I think u14 is the best age to bring a child in to play district basketball but it depends on the situation.

How far do u come to train(hours)?

Does you'r child enjoy the games/training as much as playing in her local league?

You refer to one of the two top u12 girls teams in the state as un-skilled, do you have any experience playing/coaching basketball?

It's hard to discuss this over the net but if u answer my questons I could better answer yours.

Reply #23374 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Country, you'll find, especially if she is a smallish guard, which it sounds like, that in bottom age under 14s and under 16s unless she is an exceptionally good talent she will most likely play in division 2. If she's as good as she is then she wouldn't go any lower then that.

Hope that answers your question.

Reply #23392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Country, Your main problem now is going to be that you have touted your daughter's talents and named her in another thread. Many people on this forum follow the juniors and will happily throw it back in your face when she loses her touch, if she had it to begin with.

Many people on here have told you to pull your head in and that at U12's she is no great talent. You have admitted yourself, she has only played 4 games for your Club, including a losing final!

Give your daughter some time to prove herself before you start blowing her horn.

Reply #23474 | Report this post

not in the know  
Years ago

Can't wait to see how she goes against the "taller, generally unskilled players" now that you have mouthed off!!!!

Reply #23540 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I would like to have a go at answering the original question:

Transitioning from U/12s to U/21s you will find that there is a high turnover of players in division 1 basketball - this happens more in boys than girls as girls tend to grow earlier.

When the child is a first year it is more likely that they will be in a division 2 team as the second year players in the squad will generally be that little bit stronger / taller / faster / skilled as they are a year older.

So having made division one your child is not guaranteed a fast track to success. As for what you are in for, please say good bye to all your favourite long weekends during the year (Australia Day, Adelaide Cup, Easter and Queens Birthday).

Have fun enjoy the ride and remember "it's not the push from behind, or the pull from up front, but rather the drive from within".

P.S. Don't be discouraged by the comments on this forum - keep posting. We aren't as bad as we write...

Reply #23715 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I cannot believe this thread turned into a bashing session on a Dad and his 12 yr old daughter...my god. The bloke was purely looking for some advice on this well known forum and he got jumped on. Grow up people.

Reply #23718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im interested in who she plays for southern or norwood. Does anyone know

Reply #23719 | Report this post

not in the know  
Years ago

Norwood

And one of the reasons this guy got jumped on is because he showed very little respect for the clubs in the comp in his latter posts. He also got some excellent advice about talking his kid up.

The post from pegs is good advice and I will say that his daughter will have a lot of competition from other country players but if he heeds advice and supports her growth and development then he is doing all that he can..... the rest is up to her.

Reply #23733 | Report this post

Croquet_anyone  
Years ago

She is also 10-year-old girl, who know what her commitment is going to be like when a few things don't go her way and what it will be like in 3 or 4 years time. I am sure if anyone has spend anytime coaching or being involved in a girls sporting system then you will have numerous stories of girls (all talent included) who just walk away from the game at about the age of 13 or 14 purely because of puberty and their self conscious state of mind.

Reply #23741 | Report this post

Re country  
Years ago

Country as long as u sent your kid for all trainings & games, she will be up there playing with the best & the kids she /he knows.Don't become like some country parents who think their kid's the best, no traing ,just games,some say some coaches give them more court time cause they come from way, thats went city parents get shitty, there might be some better city kids given more court time too,Any way best of luck to u country

Reply #34527 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754