Isaac
Years ago

No more Carfino on Fox's NBL broadcast

No word yet on a replacement, but JR has broken news on his blog of something that a few have suspected for much of this off-season - Steve Carfino will not be part of Fox's commentary team for the upcoming NBL season.

More at JR on Fire

No doubt many were not fans of the American accent and were concerned that it might deter potential new fans, but Carfino knew his stuff and was enthusiastic. Hopefully he finds a good new opportunity elsewhere and they can come up with a quality replacement. Palmer is my vote!

Topic #20675 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Palmer would be a good option, has been quite entertaining in the past.

As long as they dont run with the Gaze, Bradtke, Rucker, Heal variations they have done in the past.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Heal or Gaze in a full time commentating role.

Reply #245780 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

As much as it is tempting to go for a well known basketball identity, it is more important that the television presentation skills are given preference. Whilst well known players were entertaining on court, they are not entertaining on television.

Reply #245781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to John Casey? He once did NBL, then AFL and now nothing at all.

Reply #245783 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

I thought Carfino was very good as a colour commentator but he was a disaster as as a play by play commentator.

Reply #245785 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Sad to see Steve go, will be hard to find a colour commentator as knowledgeable and fun as him. He is a great guy too and can hopefully be knept around Australian basketball. Maybe the league can get him involved in starting up the new Sydney franchise.

Reply #245788 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Casey calling the game, and Gaze or Heal beside him for mine.

Enjoyed Carfino as special comments, but as a play by play man he could make a good game seem boring.

Reply #245791 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

I think I've heard Casey on NRL games on the news "highlights".
Speaks in cliches and its like fingernails running down a blackboard .... if you remember what a blackboard was.

Reply #245792 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I thought Carfino was good but they need a fresh look.
Is JR himself possibly being touted for this role now that it doesn't look as though he'll be getting picked up for a contract to play?

Reply #245793 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

I think Gaze at the Olympics was a far better commentator than when commentating on the NBL. I think Carfino dragged him down.

An old name to throw into the mix is Phil Lynch who used to do the Olympics. I agree with an earlier post - need a more polished media savvy person at the helm and then an ex-player or coach as a comments man.

The upcoming Oceania Qualifiers on Fox may give an indication who they're going to go with for the upcoming season.

Reply #245795 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'd take JR over Heal anyday.

Reply #245796 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Phil Lynch was the basketball commentator for the NBL when the Cannons still existed. He is an ex player with a great knowledge of basketball in Australia. IMO he would be the ideal choice to lead the Fox team. He would also keep over-enthusiastic co-commentators in line when they go "over the top".

Reply #245798 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti's article says that Carfino is off to call college hoops in the US.

Reply #245799 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Did Phil Lynch call the Australia- New Zealand serries last year on fox?

Although the suggestion will be shot down, Phil Smyth, ex player, ex coach, media identity who has vast knowledge of the league and would make an excellent colour commentator.

Reply #245823 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Phil Lynch is good. There was a guy with a big choco name who did the Olympics last year with Gaze - Basil someone???

Reply #245827 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Carfino sucked, good riddance!

Palmer is even worse, I'd rather have a babbling Carfs any day.

Give me JR as the dark horse. Heal isn't too bad either.

Reply #245830 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Basil Zempilas, did the Olympics with Gaze, wasn't flash but was an ok play by play guy.

Reply #245833 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

That footy guy who do netball! get him! he's got a good little fan base going on too!

Reply #245837 | Report this post

AndyOG  
Years ago

I will miss steve carfino's "plays of the week" and the classic songs he penned about nbl players, i remember one, i think to the tune of Bust a Move by Young MC and had the lyrics "Okay Dwighty throw a block party - How bout a fall away from Willie Farley, Shane Scoots by with his patented floater he's got it on the string and he's ready to motor"... actually yeah, now i think about it, i wont miss him that much, plus he was biased towards his sydney kings, not as bad as Eddie from Collingwood, but you get my drift.

There will be a bunch of NZ Breakers home games on FOX from Maori TV this season, and of course they break into Maori during the mostly english broadcasts of the games, so that is always fun. But honestly, how hard would it be with all the modern technology here in 2009 to voice over these games for a sydney or melbourne studio honestly??. Besides the fact that the Maori TV broadcasts are in two languages, and are commentated in grating nu zullind accents, the pro Breakers bias is to blatant for my liking, not my cup of tea at all.

Chris Dittmar and Drew Morphet calling games is about the worst combination I could imagine calling any sport, I think Gaze should be colour commentator with a straight man to call the play by play.

If I were in charge at FOX and was serious about making the NBL a cornerstone of their sports broadcasting, I would open up the checque book and chase Steve Carfino's former side kick BILLY WOODS to be the play by play man, nostalgia + knowledge = winner, plus he can commentate other sports, plus he could host a panel show on the NBL.

Reply #245844 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Kelli Underwood........:)

Reply #245845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Casey is doing regional radio for the ABC now.

Reply #245847 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Would love Palmer....he just smashes blokes and I love it. "Well we had Thaddeus Delaney who is currently washing cars back in the states"

GOLD !

Reply #245849 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Palmer - "Paul Rees is deceptively slow"

Reply #245854 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Lol holy crap Qlder, that's too far, don't even want to hear that whiny idiot's name on here.

Get Dennis Commetti to do the play-by-play with Gaze.

...and a big fat NO to Bradtke.

Reply #245860 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

BT Brian Taylor I reckon would be a great commentator. I love his work on Triple M for AFL + he also calls AFL games now for Foxsports...

Reply #245863 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

BT's great but does he know anything about basketball other than constantly crediting it for "tunnelling"?

Reply #245864 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Bradtke..hahaha....may as well get Chewbacca !

Reply #245867 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Just got home, haven read a single thread on this....but god love him but thank god at the same time, some new blood will be injected into the NBL!

Reply #245870 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Brett Maher & the General would make a good team IMO

Reply #245899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring in Leeroy. ;)

Reply #245930 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Biased towards the Kings is an understatement- he's probably not covering the season for that fact alone! (Will have no team to be biased towards until 2010) :)
I think Palmer would be ok- that guy that covered the Olympics with Gaze was horrendous- he sounded like netball was his game of choice and could barely put a few words together that made any kind of sense when calling plays.
(Perhaps Wortho or Anstey on that note?) :P

Reply #245932 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

if its Phil Lynch, then i will finally get to put together the video compilations of his beat no-brin calls. Got him on tape calling Herb McEachin 'phil smyth' for about 3 consecutive plays - 6'5" black american vs 6' bald white aussie- easy to get that wrong.

would love JR or Smyth , even palmer , but very glad to see carfino go.

Only the NZ commentators were worse

Reply #245940 | Report this post

old and gray  
Years ago

"beat no-brin" damn it has been a long week, should have been "best no-brain"

Reply #245941 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I must be the only one that likes the NZ commentators (except for that chick) and especially the Maori word of the game!

Reply #245956 | Report this post

Rip  
Years ago

How about Stuart Magill?? hes doing great work with the Ashes.....lol

Reply #245959 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah I don't mind the kiwis - love my thursday night Maori TV.

Reply #245995 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

I always enjoyed the Maori word of the quarter too, Isaac - especially when they tried to put it in context.

Reply #245996 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754