Go Girl
Years ago

Finals Referee's - CABL

Just a thought.
I have noticed that Vanessa Devlin & Ali Burch are both much improved "Female" Officials.

What do people think about having "Female" umpires on the Womans Grand final?

this could be the first year for a while there are two good enough since Carroline.

Topic #20700 | Report this topic

Sebastian  
Years ago

If they are the two best referee's for the game by all means put them on. But if the only reason you wont them on is because they are chicks i disagree. Best referee's on the game regardless of gender should be the goal.

Reply #246042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the first two weeks of the finals, there are 8 referees needed. Who would you select to be in the top 8 worthy of these QF and Sf's?

Then Prelim and GF's cut the group down to 4, who would then progress into the next bracket?

Should referees be kept in the womens or mens leagues for the duration of the finals, or should they vary their games between genders?

Constructive thoughts please...

Reply #246052 | Report this post

IMO  
Years ago

Phil, two times Andrew (J & F), Two times Nathan (D & W), Benn,Varga and Wayne

Reply #246058 | Report this post

ab  
Years ago

Jarrod Cresp umpired rather well with Andrew Just on the weekend, Daniel Troy also has to be in the mix... u cant just give it to the old heads. when it comes to Grand Finals, everyone has to have a "first time". it's time for some of these younger kids to put their hands up themselves and say "i am just as worthy as the Filmers, Maidments and Durants of the world"

Reply #246095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree Sebastian. However the dedication and form throughout the season should be as just, if not more, a factor than the original rankings...

Go Girl - i agree that Vanessa and Ali and damn good refs, but why should girls be limited to 'Womens' matches...?

Reply #246122 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

If any referee deserves a game on merit then award them one. DOnt just give it to the "old heads" as stated but only give it to the "first timers" if they have earned the right to do it. If they are not better than the "old heads" why should they get a gig?

If you "earn" you "deserve"!

Reply #246137 | Report this post

All Ball  
Years ago

Ali is just a little to reactionary at the moment. Blows the whistle first then thinks.

She should hold the call a little longer, specially on the "hand is part off the ball" calls.

Another year away IMO, Vanessa is ready.

Both these girls need to do more mens games so they can sharpen up the calls. Then they will be able to make the WNBL jump.

Reply #246143 | Report this post

Fan  
Years ago

According to the BSA website Dan Troy has his first final this weekend. Congratulations Daniel

Reply #246215 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Men
West v North - Benn McDonald and Vargha Zare
Norwood v Forestville - Nathan Durant and Andrew Just

Women
North v South - Nathan Weiland and Daniel Troy
Forestville v Sturt - Vanessa Devlin and Jarrod Cresp

Reply #246216 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

http://www.damrob.com.au/gallery2/d/476009-3/2009_08_09_aba_147.jpg

You want this guy doing finals?

(Yes this is a joke)

Reply #246226 | Report this post

A little critical  
Years ago

I know this is a little critical however I can not help but feel this group is a little weak?

5 out of the 8 are a little soft for finals

I heard the Nbl ref's are doing pre season games so are not available so - what about more experience like Welby or Bruce or Josh

I think you need to have six with experience and then maybe introduce two younger guys for an introduction to finals.

Reply #246340 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

Filmer and Haines are unavailable due to restrictions on them doing 50+ NBL games.

Considering that 3 out of the 8 are doing their first finals series, the other 5 are experienced in finals already.

Reply #246347 | Report this post

A little critical  
Years ago

Yes but Vanessa has very little experience at this level.
Andrew Just is fine so maybe 4 out of 8 can be trusted to perform well

The teams deserve more experience imo

How does this look for a top 8

Wayne Maidment
Nathan Weiland
Neil Bridgman
Nathan Weiland
Paul Welbourn
Andrew Just
Josh Wilson Smith
Benn Mcdonald

That's a good group and even with Phil & Andy out the teams would feel they have a group capable of not being over awed.

Not saying the young crew do not deserve there chance but maybe one or two of them could come in for a older head if they have proven to be better.

Reply #246349 | Report this post

Statsmen  
Years ago

Hey "A little critical" you have good form. Maybe Nathan Weiland is good but you have him in your list twice. I hear that the of the seven you listed, three are not available this Saturday. Vanessa has not been over awed having refereed the 2008 Under 18 Championship final and the 2009 Under 20 Championship final and Jarrod Cresp refereed the 2009 Under Championship Final

Reply #246383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statsmen,

I just assumed "a little critical" meant Nathan Durant instead of the 2nd Wieland.

Reply #246401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't these appointments be made purely on performance over the season and not based on age, name or sex?

Seems to me that's what they've done.

Used those people who have earned their spots by performing instead of allowing other factors such as 'he's been there before, let's use him again'

Reply #246403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Both these girls need to do more mens games.."

Then why hasnt Ali's name been put forward to ref SEABL in Mt Gambier... i've seen the competition down there, and it's not any better than ABL.

Obviously Phil, Benn & Filmer are the top three on the panel put forward for SEABL but wouldnt it make sense to use local refs occasionally like the NBL does to cut costs in places like Perth, Cairns and NZ..?

Congrats Daniel and all the other refs!

Reply #247040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754