Undersized Pf
Years ago

Should the Dome be available for public use?

The state of baseketball in this country can best be described as dire. Yet, it seems that any notion of moving forward is met with apprehension and opposition. today a friend and i went to the dome to shoot some hoops, as this was allowed in the past. we were very quickly and rudely kicked off, attached the quote of "you've got no reason for being here"..... isn't the wonderful game of basketball reason enough. With the popularity of the sport dwindling, shouldn't accessibility be a top priority. how can juniors get interested in the game when there is limited places to practice. If the dome was available wouldn't that assist in generating some excitement and enthusiasm, which is sorely needed.

I Understand that OH&S and insurance and so on plays a part. However, at wayville casual visitors sign in on a registry and give a gold coin donation. If a waiver is required to shoot then, would it make it possible? It seems tho that too much effort is required to implement such a system. For a stadium that goes atleast 50% unused this is poor form. Surely any improvement in basketball to the public is beneficial to the overall product.

Topic #20701 | Report this topic

NBLBADontMessUp  
Years ago

I'm not sure things are so dire now and to draw a link between basketball in the fine country of Australia and you been kicked out of the Dome is flakey. You do have a point. Perhaps you should email BSA.

Reply #246062 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

im highlighting the attitude taken.... and the fact that basketball is one of the lest accessible of all the major sports in Australia.

Reply #246063 | Report this post

wnba crazy  
Years ago

i agree - but different owners - isn't it ?

Reply #246064 | Report this post

Info  
Years ago

The Dome is privately owned. The stadium owners and management have no responsibility to allow members of the public into the venue at anytime. Although this may seem rough, the stadium is there to make money and OH&S, and associated operation costing could be placed at risk by allowing any old person into the venue.

Reply #246065 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's a private court and there are arrangements with the 36ers and other clubs (plus presumably non-hoops events) to have priority access. If you would like access and think it'd be lovely for basketball, write them a letter - there must be about fifty (OK, maybe 3-5) spare staff working specifically for the Dome right now. It's no longer BSA owned and it's no longer BSA run. If you politely called in advance to ask, I'm sure you could've saved yourself the trip.

Leave the "got kicked off a court, therefore hoops is dead in Australia" dramatics to ELG!

Reply #246066 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

yes exactly. diff owners.... being unwilling. they claim there interest in improving basketball as a whole in our state, when realistically its about the gross profit right now.

Reply #246067 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

so in a nutshell im right... too much effort and no consideration for the improvement of the game now and in the future....

ohh and... cool ya jets issac. trying to evoke a genuine conversation and you edit my thread title and create personal arguments.

Reply #246068 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Undersized PF please call me on 0414390094
Thanks

Ben

Reply #246071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should he call you Ben, u arent the owner only a a tenant just like the other companies there that also have lease agreements.

Reply #246072 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Undersized, I edited your thread title because it wasn't all that specific and your post was framed poorly - if you think a private venue should allow you to use the courts unannounced, then state that or contact them. It's not about "gross profits", it's about "not losing more money than we already are". Write Eddy Groves or JVG or whoever a letter.

Reply #246074 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

thanks ANON exactly what i was going to explain to Undersized PF. Just wanted to make sure there was an understanding that it was not the 36ers who asked them to leave.

Reply #246075 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Why not try going to Footy Park for a little Kick to Kick, or Hindmarsh for a quick game of Wembley.

Im amazed that you could go and shoot hoops at the Dome in the past. But is getting asked to leave really a reflection of all thats bad in BBall?

Reply #246076 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

i see, i was under the impression that a south australian basketball forum was in place to discuss basketball related topics...

i am aware of the various governing bodies associated with the dome. Being the owner of this states number 1 basketball asset, isnt there some sort of responsibility towards the game of basketball, and its improvement.... a stronger culture means more $$$

Reply #246077 | Report this post

the hamma  
Years ago

Perhaps they saw Undersized PFs herculean physique they thought he might wreck up the place with backboard breaking chest passes

Reply #246078 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

I can go down to an SANFL stadium whenever its not being used... Football and soccer is much more accessible. Do i really think that letting me into the dome to shoot hoops is the answer to all problems associated with our game. ofcourse not. but it certainly is a reflection and some issues that are readily apparent.

i.e why would a young kid play basketball when he can easily go down to his local footy oval and play....

Reply #246079 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

UPF, Does AAMI Stadium have a responsibility to the betterment of Australian Rules in South Australia to be open and available at any time? It'd be nice if they could facilitate that, but I don't really think they do have that responsibility - there are alternatives around.

Reply #246080 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

ohh and issac does "JVG" mean jeff van gundy. if so hilarious! JVG is the king of outlandish opinions, ive got a long way to go before reaching his level. haha

Reply #246081 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

UPF, an equivalent of your local SANFL ground is Wayville where you said that you could go to shoot around if you wished. The footy equivalent of the Dome is AAMI Stadium - show up for a kick there and let us know how you go.

JVG is Jeff van Groningen - Eddy Groves' man handling the Dome. e.g., the guy you should address your "To whom it may concern, I want to shoot around in your private venue unannounced" letter.

Reply #246082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

i.e why would a young kid play basketball when he can easily go down to his local footy oval and play....
Couldn't you easily go down to your local outdoor court, school court, Wayville, etc? Are you actually trying to make a serious argument, or just dig your way out of a hole after your opening complaint fell so flat?

Reply #246083 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

there is definatley a relationship between AAMI and SA football i.e year round clinics and promotional events. is there no relationship between BSA and dome owners? is there no promotional effort made by both parties for basketball? after all a more popular product is a more profitable one!

Reply #246084 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are you suddenly batshit insane or just taking the piss and wasting my time? You got turned away because you showed up unannounced to a private venue that used to be owned by the state basketball association and may have, in the past, let randoms wander in for a shoot-around, and now you're seriously trying to pretend that this is all about business relationships and the promotion of basketball.

Go and contact JVG and then maybe do some volunteer work for BSA if the betterment of basketball is your true concern.

Reply #246086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pf your arguments lack any real knowledge of any relation ship that the dome owners may have with the governing body within BSA.How being asked to leave a privately owned venue because you had no permission to be on the premises can then be the fault of BSA and clinics that may or not be conducted beats me. I think trespassing is an offence by law and you were lucky that you where only asked to leave.

Reply #246087 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think talking of trespassing is a bit far, but I don't think it's particularly outrageous that they were not admitted.

Reply #246089 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Trespass would work...

Reply #246091 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Thought I would help you our Undersized PF seeing as though you are digging yourself quite a hole, try this

SHOVEL Pictures, Images and Photos

Reply #246093 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Sounds like Undersized Pf got caught SHORT.

Reply #246097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Undersized PF - I hear you have a nice TV so i will be over at your place to watch tomorrows Midday movie.

Sound fair?

Reply #246100 | Report this post

i agree with Undersized PF, basketball is bad in South Australia. dwindling numbers, coaches at woodville no longer required, what has this world come to.

Funny, ever since i retired the game has gone downhill.

Reply #246101 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

man sucks to be little jonny who wants to practice his foul shots. if your after in depth analysis of all the DH domes earnings or organizational hierarchy then i dont have it.

but getting back on topic its not that ridiculous to setup a similar system to what wayville has. there subject to the same OH&S standards.

"im an ideas man and you shoot me down with your god damn negativity"

Reply #246103 | Report this post

And so what if u cant go kick a football around AMII stadium. why cant basketball be different.

"Hey dad, can we go shoot where BRETT MAHER used to play?"

"Sure thing son!... Oh wait, we can't, becuase the owners are lame"

"come on son, lets go kick a football"

Reply #246104 | Report this post

"Hey dad, lets go check out all the team photos in the 36ers illustrious history!"

"Sure thing son! oh wait, still can't get in the dome! oh well, lets go down to Port clubrooms i'll show u 100 years of history instead"

Reply #246105 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd guess IF numbers at Woodville are dwindling......
You could have a few shots on the Brett Maher Court via Woodville ..

Reply #246110 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I guess Undersized Pf it was too difficult to walk to the courts 500 meters away in Ross Avenue?

Reply #246121 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Also do you think people in Boston can just walk into the Boston Garden to have a shoot around? :P

Reply #246123 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Been kicked off footy park a few times :(

Nasty, nasty curator.

Reply #246124 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Been kicked off Footy Park as well. And they kept my ball. They wanted to confiscate my clubs too. Got something against golf down there, they do.

Reply #246127 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

so in conclusion it seems forum members would NOT like the opportunity to shoot hoops at the dome.

i suppose the majority are here to waffle on about bball rather than play the actual game.

Reply #246131 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That's not the conclusion at all.

The conclusion is that you do it properly. We'd all love to just stroll into the Dome and jack up some shots at any time, but the majority know that it's a private business premise owned by an individual, not the State Government or a Government association.

Your correct, it's not rediculous to set up a system like Wayville. How bout you contact the owners and run it past them before just strolling onto their property?? It's pretty simple really.

As the owner/manager of the site it is their right to ask you to leave, and I fail too see how that reflects on basketball in general. Do you look outside and see rain and think the sky is falling???

How are they suppose to know who you are?? I won't even go down the security implications path with this.

Ask permission, as Isaac said, write a letter, ring the Dome Management. To just stroll in and think you can use something that belongs to someone else is crazy. What legal right have you got to do that??

I can guarantee that if you strolled into my place of work or home thinking you could use whatever then you'd be in for a much ruder shock.

Reply #246136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

UPF, that's a false dichotomy. I've gone in and mucked around at the Dome and it's loads of fun, but I can appreciate that it's a private venue, that they don't want people showing up unannounced and expecting to use the court, and that there are a lot of other courts available for people to use.

If you cannot comprehend that, I really hope (for your sake) that you're trolling.

Reply #246152 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I've had a few shots there Sunday mornings , just before and after woodville training.. as I mentioned.

Reply #246158 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

pf, do you wander down during Summer & have a hit on the centre wicket at Adelaide oval? No? They won't let you? No wonder cricket in this state is going down the tube.

Head down to Royal Adelaide with the clubs, jump the fence & play a few holes. They won't mind because they're concerned about whether the sport is accessible.

What nonsense - whether a 7,000 seat stadium is available for your deluded dreams of glory has absolutely no bearing on the future of basketball in this state.

If you want to play at the Dome, join Woodville.

Reply #246163 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

You gonna clean the court after you finished as well?

Reply #246164 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

UPF I have to agree with the others that you are way out of touch with reality. What other sports can you rock up to the Premier Venue unannoucned & expect to get access to their court / ground / oval etc

If you've been so hard doen by name one sporting team / venue (at the elite /profeesional level) that you can just rock out & use the gorund / court / oval etc

Reply #246201 | Report this post

Yup  
Years ago

Next time you turn up unanounced at the Dome can you grab me that bronze MD head at the entrance?

Reply #246514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The shoot around days of the dome were excellent!

I recall a day where a young defensive point guard from Woodville threw down a perfectly flushed swish jam (with zero rim hanging) only to have the backboard support snap and collapse the entire structure to the ground.

Later this very day my friends there was a clinic of 60+ school kids shooting on all courts...if this dunk had not exposed the weak supports the rim could have crushed some, and in a ridulously unfortunate event, ALL of those kids.

This public hero was not asked to leave by the dome staff...but instead given a cup of water and a 5 of the highest order.

Ipso facto IF YOU DONT LET PEOPLE SHOOT AT THE DOME KIDS WILL DIE

Reply #248951 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754