paul
Years ago

Gold Coast sign Ayinde Ubaka

Gold Coast have signed Ayinde Ubaka as their second import, a 193cm combo guard who can flat out shoot, apparently. He has played in Germany, which is a decent league, and played his college ball at Berkeley, where he was an absolute star in his last year (junior year).

Interesting that Joey Wright has chosen to sign a combo guard, given that they already have Goulding, Harvey and Gibson, and that none of Vukona, Joiner or Petrie is a true three man. Still, he won a championship with Bruton and Black in the backcourt and Ere at sf, so he is obviously looking at a similar structure, and Ubaka will not allow teams to focus on Gibson. They are very short, but then again, so were the Bullets.

Topic #20711 | Report this topic

djrod  
Years ago

Reply #246172 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

That looks like a VERY solid signing.

Reply #246176 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Petrie is a pretty good three in my books .....

Reply #246200 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Am I missing something here, cos I thought Gold Coast already had their 10-Man Roster?

Gibson/Goulding
Harvey/Demos
Joiner/Petrie
Vukona/McGregor
Vaderjagt/Cameron

Also, based on last years points ratings, that team would be a 68, which obviously doesn't leave room for a 2nd import??

Reply #246207 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

McGregor is their membership manager, not back up power forward! And for mine Ben, Petrie's lack of shooting means he is a combo forward. He and Joiner (based on previous %) on the floor together would allow the defence to collapse. But Petrie on the floor with Cameron can be a different story.

Reply #246211 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I'd say Harvey would have to spend some time at SF and Ubaka may spend some minutes there even if undersized,
I guess they could go with

PG Gibson/Goulding
Sg Ubaka/Demos
SF Harvey/Vukona
PF Joiner/Petrie
C Vanderjagt/Cameron

Doesnt look bad to me and Harvey would be close enough in size to say Saville and guys like Williamson from townsville and even Brad Hill so would do fine at SF i reckon,

Reply #246217 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Interesting signing potential to produce BIG for the Blaze. But by the highlights of that game and the commentary...especially where they refer to him as 'that Ubaka guy again', this was a semi fluke type game for him. If he can produce 9-12 type shooting consistantly in the NBL though, look out. As a 6ers fan, im going to be pissed if this guy ends up being a major star, considering we went fot Groves in a similar position. He mayve cost more $$, but if he is successful, see it as marketing dollars spent for next season 'NEW NBL' and future tickets sold.

Reply #246219 | Report this post

Wayville 70  
Years ago

Since when is Goulding a point guard? Is that position he will be used at this year?

Reply #246223 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Samba you could argue that we should have got another import but you cant say if that guy blows up the 6ers should get grief. Every player is a gamble and you cant scout or recruit them all.

Reply #246227 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Wayville, not sure of his background but Goulding spent almost all of his time at PG last year.

The NBL SF spot is looking very small this year - I'm getting more and more confident of Brad Hill doing ok.

Reply #246239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a poorly structured team

Reply #246242 | Report this post

Wayville 70  
Years ago

Goulding's always been more of a shooting guard. Would have serious concerns with him at the point, but i'm sure it will all work out one way or another.

Reply #246260 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:18 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754