Isaac
Years ago

Molitor frontrunner for 36ers U23 spot

From Boti Nagy today:

Adelaide is in no rush to settle on the compulsory under-23 player in its NBL line-up but West Bearcats forward Chris Molitor is emerging as the front-runner.

The 204cm son of former WNBL championship coach and one-time North Adelaide SBL import Mark Molitor, and prominent South SBL player and Canberra Capitals WNBL forward Benita, has looked promising on the track.

But so too has former South Dragons' development player James Orr, who 36ers coach Scott Ninnis invited to train after seeing him first-hand through China on the recent NBL AllStars' tour.
Orr is a 198cm guard.

Full story here

Topic #20727 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

Sounds like Chris has decent size and the Sixers are in greater need of some young big men than guards.

Anybody watch him in the local league and can tell me what type of game he has?

I think the article said he can shoot a bit, but that was all that was mentioned. Does that mean a good mid-range shot, 3pt range, or just a good touch in the key?

Could he be a Paul Rees type - solid body, feathery mid range shooting touch? Or more of a wiry shooter like Oscar?

Reply #246318 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

couldnt they sign one of them into the 10 as the U23 player and the other into the 12 as a development player? therefore keeping them both? and can they make a match day decison like who ever is training better suits up in the 10?

Reply #246323 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

More of a 6'7 Oscar Mold. I haven't seen him play though.

They could sign one as a development player but they wouldn't be able to swap them unless one was injured as far as I know. Also the one in the 10 would get paid more then the one in the squad.

Reply #246329 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong but last season we could suit the whole 12 at home and I think this you can now suit all 12 away, so it doesn't matter if they are a rostered player or DP

Reply #246333 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

ok, can we sign say sign 2 of Erik Burdon, Tom Gerlapp, James Orr, Josh Wood and Aiden Sturt as our DP's or do they have to also be U23??
I guess the main difference with the DP's will be $$ i dont know why they just dont have 12 man rosters with 2 DP's, and say 1 of 12 needs to be U23 (id change it to U25) which would have allowed the 36ers to re-sign Brad Davidson or keep Burdon in the squad or give a Sturt or Wood a go.

Reply #246335 | Report this post

ABL Scout  
Years ago

I'd say Molitor is similar to Oscar in that he can shoot from outside and he rebounds well. Molitor isn't quite as tall or athletic as Oscar and doesn't have as quick a realease on his shot as Oscar. Though he probably does have a more orunded post up game than Oscar (although in the NBL he would probably be too small to post up anyone?).

My concern would be that he is a bit too slow to be a 3 and a bit short to be a 4 (in the NBL). I'd be happy to see him in that U23 spot though - just needs to work on his quickness and catch and shoot.

Reply #246336 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

The position that we are lacking in is the 3 spot so if Molitor is a 3 then sign him up (and an SA boy)

Reply #246337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are they still interested in the young sturt guard? forgot his name.... i remember his name being mentioned a few times

Reply #246338 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Corey Maynard is that Sturt guard.

I'd probably go with Molitor. Though I haven't seem him train, mentioning that he really wants the gig shows (or at least smartly feigns!) drive.

Reply #246341 | Report this post

Lions 2009  
Years ago

seen him play couple of times this year for west, i would say he has improved his game by 30-40% and deserves the spot.

has an NBL body and game, another 12 months in an NBL program will be make or break for him.

well worth the gamble.

Reply #246343 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks for the info KingJames and ABLScout. If he is 204cm (6'8) I would have thought he would be tall enough to post up NBL forwards though. Perhaps more to do with his footwork/ strength than his height?

Good to hear he rebounds well. Nothing more frustrating than a big man who stretches the D on offence, but can't grab a rebound on defence (ahem Dench, cough, cough).

Reply #246344 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

how does Molitor compare with Hoban?? Is Hoban a chance this year??

Reply #246345 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I thought Hoban was heading OS after he finished uni?

Reply #246355 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I guess 6'8 is tall in the NBL if you are a perimeter player who can handle, pass etc, but small if you are an interior player unless you havent something special in your bag of tricks.

Reply #246360 | Report this post

Lions 2009  
Years ago

hoban is too old

Reply #246374 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul, looking at the NBL player list, there are a lot of top forwards just over 200cm:

Dusty 197cm
Wortho 202cm
Bear 202cm
Cat 202cm
B Knight 202cm
Redhage 203cm
Petrie 203cm
Dowdell 205cm
Oscar 205cm
Davidson 206cm
M Knight 207cm

Molitor would fit right in the middle of that list, which includes most of the starting PF's in the league. So I wouldn't have thought he is too small to be an interior player.

And considering only the marquee PF's in the NBA tend to be 6'10, 204cm or 6'8 has gotta be pretty good size in most other leagues.

Reply #246382 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Molitor is a little soft and prefers to float outside and shoot three's. Has a very limited post game and generally only posts up when he has a smaller player on him.
From all reports he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and has a bad work ethic, otherwise he would"'ve been signed already. I think Ninnis is trying to delay signing him to look for something better, but if he can't find anything he will do.
Very different to Hoban, Peter has a big man's game and works within 15 ft, whereas Molitor would be very simliar to a Dench.

Reply #246455 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Nice the brad, very complimentary for a young bloke.

Reply #246459 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Remember watching Orr as a junior thinking he would kick on to the big time.

Reply #246529 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

To we take it that Molitor kicked "The Brad"s arse in a game, so this is his payback?
His game last night against North wouldn't have done his chances much harm

Reply #246535 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Beantown, most of the guys on your list can shoot, and also defend on the perimeter. AS I stated above, 6'7 or 6'8 is sufficient size if you can also play away from the basket.

But 6'8 guys who are purely inside struggle to make it unless they have something special eg: Rychart at 6'7 has one of the bets noses for the ball and softest touches I have ever seen around the hoop. He can also defend away from the hoop.

If Molitar can slide his feet in front of a ballhandler he has ac chance. If he can only defend in the low bloke he will struggle for size.

Reply #246540 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754