Isaac
Years ago

Cairns Taipans sign Tony Rampton

Tony Rampton completes a mini-flurry of signings for the Taipans and rounds out their roster - didn't see this signing coming:

The Skytrans Cairns Taipans' playing roster for the 2009/10 National Basketball League season is complete with the club set to welcome centre Tony Rampton back into the fold.

Rampton, 33, played 113 games for the Taipans from 2001-05 before linking with Wollongong for 2006-07, West Sydney Razorbacks in 2008 and last season with the Sydney Spirit.

The 213cm centre brings a wealth of experience back to the Taipans, having not only spent several seasons in the NBL but also having represented New Zealand at the 2000 and 2004 Olympic Games and the 2006 World Championships.

Rampton completes Taipans roster

Julien 'Skip' Mills/Kerry Williams
Phill Jones/Dwayne Vale
Gary Boodnikoff/Aaron Grabau
Rich Melzer/Dusty Rychart
Ian Crosswhite/Tony Rampton

Good depth from SF to C. Looks like the Graeme Dann and Joe Werner rumours went nowhere - trialled and not selected, I assume.

IMO, they would've got that roster for close to what just three to four players were earning in Cairns a few years back.

Topic #20731 | Report this topic

nickyg  
Years ago

Can Fearne coach? I would have been happier with Beecroft at the helm...

Reply #246368 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sixers should have gotten Rampton :(

Reply #246370 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It seems the Sixers should have signed anyone that another club did!

Reply #246373 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Deep! Surely Melzer will play a fair bit of SF.

Reply #246389 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

has any1 heard about any new signing from the Wildcats?

Reply #246405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw a hint that they were waiting on a response from an ex-NBA centre?

They could do worse than ex-Breaker Alston - experienced veteran who knew his place. Probably didn't crank up the excitement and win fans, but I think the Breakers were fans of what he brought to the team.

Reply #246406 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

thanks Issac for the info! Its hard to get much info over here in WA!

Reply #246407 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bill, spotted this mentioned on OzHoops:

Beveridge will meet his senior players today to discuss two prospects for the second import spot - one a "super-athletic" small forward and the other a 207cm centre who could back up the injury prone Paul Rogers.

Reply #246410 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Yeah sounds good, i think we need more a taller import and look for a aussie for the other spot on the squad.

Reply #246412 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

Fearne can coach though yet proven at nbl level. He just took marlins to aba championship again 19 and 1. I think he would have got the gig last year if he wasnt in the US with Jawai.He seems to have a great relationship with players and they respect him.Beecroft did a great job last year but i am happy with Fearn .

Reply #246616 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754