LC
Years ago

Breakers sign former NBA player, Awvee Storey

The NZ breaker signed former Washington Wizard and Milwaukee Buck forward Awvee (ahh-vee) Storey to round out their roster.

Link: http://linky.com.au/0soev

32 year old Chicago native Storey is an athletic 6'6" forward who played his college basketball at Arizona State, and has a career including 60 NBA regular season games for the Milwaukee Bucks, Washington Wizards and New Jersey Nets. Most recently Storey played the 2008 NBA pre-season with the Nets before heading to China where he averaged 23.3 points, and 7.1 rebounds across the 44 game season for Liaoning.

Topic #20745 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

and he fractured a teamates skull in the d league, gave him a smack. Breakers have had the wizards and bucks management give them their personal assurance as to his character. Breakers are the shit when it comes to getting top quality imports, with players like Storey, Ricket, Ronaldson, Foreman, Penney and Bruton on the team I think we should do alright especially as Penny and Bruton make up the best backcourt duo in the league, now our front court looks almost as menacing. I'm hanging to see this line up in action, like the fact that 4 of them have either been drafted or had court time in the NBA.
Bruton-selected by Grizzlies
Penney-played for Heat,Clippers
Rickett-selected by Twolves
Storey-played for Nets,Wizards,Bucks

gotta be good for ticket sales and championship hopes

Reply #246466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The good and the bad from Draft Express:

Was rather successful as a scorer at Arizona State after transferring from Illinois. Rebounds at a ridiculous rate for a player his height.
Good combination of size, strength, and athleticism. Plays with a lot of heart. Very versatile defender.
Displays decent ball handling ability and can knock down some shots off the dribble. Has a quick first step, which makes him tough to keep out of the lane. Does a good job finishing at the rim, and has the explosiveness to beat the defense for easy baskets.

But:
Will turn the ball over by being overly aggressive with the ball.
Probably best known for fracturing D-League teammate Martynas Andriuskevicius' skull with a cheap shot in practice.
...won't hesitate to get in his man's jersey and give fouls when he's beat.

Hopefully he stays out of foul trouble and doesn't explode at the refs or anything.

It's a little amusing to see 'got punched at practice' Rickert and 'punched a guy at practice' Storey on the same team.

Reply #246467 | Report this post

OT Fan  
Years ago

Breakers are the fave now for this year IMO

Their starting 5 is outstanding!

Bruton
Penney
Forman
Storey
Rickert

and with a 40 min game they wont need too many off the bench... but you'll have Ronaldson, Boucher & Henare - WOW

Reply #246478 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Tell me how the Breakers roster fits under the current salary cap? They must have some major third party sponsorship across the Tasman.

If the 36ers had that ability we'd be able to sign big Luke to go along with Burston.

Reply #246492 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I remember back in 2006 Brian Morrison (who played for the D-Fenders at the time) was joking that he wouldn't step on the court unless Awvee takes anger management sessions.

Reply #246495 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

did somebody mention Henare as a good sub? Henare is a joke, I agree Breakers are the favourates but Henare has nothing to do with it. Henare can not honestly throw the ball in the ocean standing on the beach.

Reply #246502 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Neither can Ben Wallace or Damian Martin, but they do OK. Henare does alright for a back-up PG.

Reply #246517 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Henare has a safe pair of hands and thats pretty much it.
I agree tha they def won't have change from the cap with that roster but Rickett has taken a pay cut to stay and Jones has left and Abercrombie has come off the development spot so he won't be getting much $ Boucher won't be a fortune and Henare should be free or paying the club to play. Penney and Bruton will make some cash for sure as will Storey. we prob just borrow melbournes calculator when we add the salaries up

Reply #246531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Safest hands in the NBL!!

Reply #246537 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Thats not bad Isaac. Awvee will bring defense and rebounding (badly needed) but doesn't look like he'll help much with offence, particularly points in the paint.Could be a smart signing (with Penney,Oscar and CJ firing away)... will have to see him in action before passing judgement.
Paul Henare will play 8-10 minutes a game to relieve CJ and thats enough time for him.
Oscar needs to go to the bench. Too slow and a liability if he has to put ball on floor. But he can shoot!!!
Andrei has to find time for Abercrombie. He is a super athelete and can put it on the floor.
Is there a salary cap?? How does Melbourne fit under it?

Reply #246544 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

That's an Oops Bill....

Reply #246565 | Report this post

Big Moose  
Years ago

So now they just need to get some decent commentators to call the home games (those clowns are unbareable)and get a venue that doesn't look like some dodgey old country town school gym from the 70's.

That can't be the best basketball venue NZ has to offer, can it?

Reply #246567 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, just a lot more affordable than Vector which seats 5k+ but is more expensive to open.

I actually like Kenny Stone as a commentator.

Reply #246578 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The North Shore May look dodgy, but it is a brilliant basketball venue. Perfect size and amazing atmosphere. I also like the commentators.

Reply #246579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did NZ win their third match against AIA?

Reply #246583 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Not bothered much by NSEC or commentators but what really annoys me is the delayed coverage!!!! Kenny is good, really insightful but he needs a larynx op.

Reply #246592 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:17 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754