LC
Years ago

Ater Majok called up to Boomers squad

Melbourne's Herald-Sun has today run a story on Sudanese refugee Ater Majok and his call-up to the Boomers squad.

Herald-Sun Link: http://linky.com.au/nzqcw

"Escaping war-torn Sudan for Egypt before moving to Australia in 2000, Majok is enrolled at the University of Connecticut on a basketball scholarship, but is in Sydney hoping to win a place on the Boomers roster for the two-game series against New Zealand's Tall Blacks."

Topic #20769 | Report this topic

Casein  
Years ago

Just makes you want to laugh out loud eh?

Just so much smoke and mirrors..

Reply #246712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is a great addition to the roster. The kid is 20* and 6-10 with long as hell arms and great athletic ability. More to the point, even if he is not up to International basketball it is a great sotry for basketball and something that local papers, news and media alike will go with. A refugee from a war torn country fighting for his basketball dream and to provide for his family... You think about it

Reply #246744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is a great addition to the roster. The kid is 20* and 6-10 with long as hell arms and great athletic ability. More to the point, even if he is not up to International basketball it is a great sotry for basketball and something that local papers, news and media alike will go with. A refugee from a war torn country fighting for his basketball dream and to provide for his family... You think about it

Reply #246745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People assume its all smoke and mirrors sure, but dont be surprised here if Ater Majok ends up spending alot of time in a boomers uniform, not necessarily any time soon, but he has some real potentional.

If he stays at UConn for at least 2 seasons under the tutelage of Coach Calhoun, instead of being pushed to make some quick bucks by his family, your going to see a really good player emerge.

Reply #246747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the lure of a few hundred thousand each season is going to push him to leave college early. From what I understand he is 'the chosen one' in his family to provide them with a chance to become poverty-free and live a healthy life with and education. A hell of a lot of pressure for a kid at school.

Good luck to him I say.

Reply #246803 | Report this post

mayot  
Years ago

atAttack the basket and score easily and hit three points all day
He make the imposable possible. His all the coaches dream for
Good luck NBA for sure

er is a great athletic he has the ability

Reply #246993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/young-giant-blazing-a-path/story-e6freyj0-1225764984785

Reply #247235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ater is an incredibly hard worker who has worked hard enough to earn everything thats coming to him.
Good On you Ater
Cant wait to see what he has to offer at the D1 level.
I look forward to seeing him in a Boomers uniform for many years to come!

Reply #247570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=860&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=dd4dbd2faf

News
Share on Facebook
Boomers shock China for back-to-back wins
Australia's men’s basketball team has registered two victories in succession at the Boris Stankovic Cup in Kunshan City, downing host nation China in a thriller by two points, 76-74.

[Box Score]

[VIDEO]

The Boomers defeated Turkey 70-54 yesterday while China, still smarting after losing the FIBA Asia Championship to Iran, was coming off an 88-62 victory over Angola and was looking to impress in front of a home crowd.

But the Boomers rallied from a ten point deficit in the third quarter and tied the game with one period to play before pinching the game in the final ten seconds.

Starting centre AJ Ogilvy stole the ball from China and passed to Matthew Dellavedova who found Oscar Forman under the basket for a bucket despite a heavy foul. Forman finished the three-point play and Australia had the unlikely victory.

Ogilvy top scored for Australia with 18 points on 5-of-7 shooting with 8-of-10 free throws, James Harvey chimed in with 17 and Ater Majok added 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting, all of which came in the first half. Li Xiaoxu top scored for China with 17 points while former NBA player Wang Zhizhi added 16.

Boomers head coach Brett Brown was impressed by the spirited performance of his inexperienced team.

"I’m a bit surprised to be honest. With this young group, to come back from ten down and get a win like that on the floor of the host nation - it was a fantastic effort," Brown said.

“AJ Ogilvy made a great play stealing the ball near the end of the game but really it was our collective team defence and holding China to 74 points that won us the game.

“When our guys come with a great energy we can get the job done and we should play like that always. Tonight we’ve over achieved and the boys are happy.

“AJ is the rock of this group and he was terrific tonight and another story is Ater Majok. He had his first legitimate minutes tonight and he was great.

“Harvey embraced his role and gave us a lot, Damien Martin came in with a great spirit and made a physical contribution and Forman hit some big shots.”

The Boomers came ready to play and opened up an 8-2 lead in the early stages behind the inside play of Ogilvy and despite some good moments from Majok off the bench China fought back to take a slight lead.

After one quarter the scores were tied 23-23 but just minutes later China had their largest lead, a nine point buffer that looked commanding before Majok followed a nice block with a jump shot, a tip in and a nice low post move to keep the Boomers alive.

Australia reduced the margin to one as time neared completion in the half but China drained a three pointer and went into the locker room ahead by four points, 43-39.

Ogilvy had 11 points at half time to lead the Boomers, with Majok adding 10 points in support, and while Australia shot well from the field they had only managed a sour 1-of-9 from three point land.

China scored first in the second half to push the lead to six points and after a see-saw battle in the third the lead was still five points when three minutes remained in the quarter.

The Boomers then showed great spirit to bridge the gap in the latter stages of the stanza and with ten minutes to play the score was tied at 57-57.

China scored the first four points of the fourth quarter before Ogilvy went to the rack, got fouled and hit two free throws to steady the ship.

A Chinese foul shot and two three pointers spaced by a powerful inside move had the hosts fired up as Australia was forced into a time out behind by ten, 70-60.

When Forman nailed a three pointer from the top of the key Australia had scored six unanswered points to force China into a time out but Harvey kept the push going with another three and Australia was within one point with three minutes to play.

The margin was back out to five in a hurry before Harvey drove and scored to make it 74-71 to China with two minutes to play.

Misses by Harvey and Forman were rebounded by the Boomers and when Ogilvy hit two free throws the margin was one point. China then had control but it was Ogilvy again with the heroics, stealing the ball, finding Dellavedova, who got the ball to Forman under the basket.

Forman scored despite being fouled then hit the ensuing free throw to put the Boomers up by two and when Crawford broke up China’s last play the victory was Australia’s.

Forman and Martin shared Australia’s rebounding ribbon with seven apiece as the Boomers won the rebound count 40-37.

Australia shot a hot 63 percent from the floor but connected on a lowly 5-of-25 from beyond the arc.

In the earlier match tonight, Turkey pumped Angola by twenty three points, 60-37, meaning that irrespective of Australia’s result against Angola tomorrow it will face the winner of tomorrow’s China-Turkey match in the Boris Stankovic Cup final on Monday night.

Quarter by quarter:
1. AUS 23 CHN 23
H: CHN 43 AUS 39 (20-16)
3: AUS 57 CHN 57 (18-14)
F: AUS 76 CHN 74 (19-17)

AUSTRALIA 76 (AJ Ogilvy 18, James Harvey 17, Ater Majok 10) bt
CHINA 74 (Li Xiaoxu 17, Wang Zhizhi 16)
at Boris Stankovic Continental Cup
in Kunshan City, China

[Box score is currently unavailable]

Reply #248000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think hes done well so far and he will go far i have played with him before and he has improved so much through his hard work and dedication..... I hear that he has to go pro to provide for his family wtf thats the biggest load of crap coz his parents live in aus and are doin well and i am sure anything more than that is just comfort thats all... i mean no one really suffers in aus the govt looks after you!!!!

Reply #248045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/college/2009/10/post-big-east-media-day-notes/

Big East Media Day Notes
Questions and predictions for college's No. 1 conference?

by Zach Smart

Big East Media Day concluded Tuesday at Madison Square Garden, with no shockers as far as preseason predictions and projections.

Villanova topped the polls, as the star-spangled squad that returns high-octane guard Scottie Reynolds and incoming golden boy Dominic Cheek emerged as the preseason favorite.

Luke Harangody, who’s been at Notre Dame longer than the OJ Trial (yeah, yeah Big L Harlem’s finest), was voted as preseason Player of the Year. 'Gody, he of the funky slingshot jumper and penchant for pounding the boards, was selected for the second time in as many preseason polls. Harangody, the ‘07-08 Big East Player of the Year, led the Big East in scoring last year, dropping 23.3 ppg. He also tore down 11.8 boards. Harangody first registered his imprint to the masses during the Jimmy V tournament in 2007, when he went eyeball-to-eyeball with then-Kansas State freshman Michael Beasley and emerged the victor.

Related StoriesBig East Recruiting Breakdown

South Florida ‘09-10 Preview

Big East Live Blog, Day 1

Bulls Eye

UConn ‘09-10 Preview

Lance "Born Ready" Stephenson, a high volume scorer who had a storied stay at Lincoln High in Brooklyn (where he led to the Railsplitters to an unprecedented four straight PSAL titles), was selected as Big East PreSeason Rookie of the Year. The 6-6 guard, while academically eligible, is still waiting clearance from the NCAA because of his questionable amateur status.

Here are the Biggest Big East questions and predictions as I see them:

Will Ater Majok Immediately Ascend To Stardom? How Will UConn cushion the losses from last season?

The highly acclaimed UConn big man’s pedigree certainly indicates he’s The Truth.

So does his YouTube clip.

The hype hasn’t tailed off. The kid who entertained thoughts of testing the league waters before even throwing on a Huskies jersey has been smothered in more hype than a New York City point guard.

He’s more of an offensive threat than Hasheem Thabeet (who, in three years at UConn, may have executed one back to the basket post move). Thabeet arrived on campus a callow, work in progress powder puff in 2006 and we all saw how the Memphis Grizzlies center departed.

Majok will fill some of the gap in the UConn frontcourt but no question, the defense and manpower of Thabeet and Jeff Adrien will be missed. Thabeet thrived under Jim Calhoun’s high-horsepower, souped-up system. His immense 7-3 presence was felt defensively as he swatted, punched, plucked, manipulated, changed, and altered the trajectory of countless shots and steered lane-splitting guards clear of the paint.

On paper, however, Majok is faster and more athletic than both Thabeet and Adrien, the muscle-bound bar room brawling interior presence. This UConn team will bust out the track shoes. All signs point to the pack of Huskies being on the run even more than last year’s squad.

much more of interest in SLAM's Big East preview via link

Reply #255391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a feature from today's Register on the friendship Ater Majok and Charles Okwandu have formed over the past year. They share plenty in common: both are big men with lots of raw potential; both had to sit out the final two months of last season (Majok after getting cleared to enroll at UConn by the NCAA, Okwandu after being declared academically ineligible by the school);

*** both wound up such defensive presences on the practice squad that only one was allowed on the court at the same time while the Huskies were practicing their offense;

and, of course, both share African heritage (Majok from Sudan, Okwandu from Nigeria).

Actually, the latter doesn't mean as much as I thought it might.

"Even if (Okwandu) was Chinese or anything ... brothers can be from anywhere," Majok said.

The two are also on the same Greater Hartford Pro-Am summer league team, the Springfield Slamm. Big Chuck has been sidelined for about a week after having his ankle stepped on in a game. It's just precautionary, and he's expected to return to the court for the Slamm's next game, on Friday at 8:15 p.m. against Ryan Gomes and Harte Nissan at the Sport & Medical Sciences Academy in Hartford. Should be a good test for both Majok and Okwandu.

One other thing: I was reminded while chatting with a UConn fan that Majok has similarities with Charlie Villanueva. Certainly, his propensity to shoot 3's (at least in the pro-am) remind some of a young Villanueva, who also apparently was in love with the 3 at first. Well, UConn's coaching staff recognizes this similarity. They don't mind Majok hoisting up an occasional trey, but they want to start their game inside. Remember, last year the Huskies made more free throws than their opponents attempted!

Majok should get a chance to showcase his perimeter skills from time to time. On the Huskies' secondary fast break, the four-man trails. So, Majok will have the chance to spot up and pop some 3's.

Reply #255393 | Report this post

KK  
Years ago

Majok Getting Ready For UConn Debut
Topics
Basketball
University of Connecticut
XL Center
See more topics »
XJim Calhoun
NCAA Final Four
Schools
Football
National Collegiate Athletic Association
NBA By MIKE ANTHONY

December 11, 2009
E-mail Print Share Text Size

HARTFORD — - Ater Majok understands a great deal of pressure and expectations are tied to his long-awaited debut Dec. 20, and he's fine with that.

The UConn freshman forward, having practiced and watched from the sidelines for a year as fans wondered about his potential, knows about the hype, the opportunity and even the burden of being viewed as the answer to some of UConn's problems.

"The year has run by quickly, but I feel like the last 10 days, it's probably the longest 10 days ever because I just can't wait," Majok said Thursday at coach Jim Calhoun's holiday turkey giveaway at the North End Senior Center. "I can't wait to step onto the court. I can't wait to put on my white uniform next weekend at the XL Center and show everybody what I've got, what I have to offer. People are expecting things from me. But I'm the one playing and I'm just going to go out every day and do what I do in practice. My focus is not to get out there and show off. My focus is to help win some games."

Majok, 22, enrolled at UConn in January but was told he could not play until the conclusion of this semester. Meanwhile, he has practiced with the team, watched road games on TV and home games from the bench.

In nine days, he will make his debut against Central Florida — and he could be in the starting lineup in place of Charles Okwandu.

"I've never had a problem with [waiting for Majok]," Calhoun said. "He didn't sit out because he had a bad attitude. He didn't sit out because he didn't do well in school. He sat out, quite frankly, because the NCAA couldn't make its mind up."

There was more mystery regarding Majok's status recently. Because he entered the NBA draft and pulled out, Calhoun said, Majok was put through another screening by the NCAA. Calhoun said UConn was notified Wednesday night that Majok will, indeed, be allowed to play.

"He's completely cleared," Calhoun said, noting that Majok had to, for example, show receipts as proof that he paid for things during the draft process. "He'll have no issues. Nothing is going to pop up, in a sense that he's gone through all the things he has to."

So now, how does Majok, a 6-foot-11 forward, fit in with UConn?

"I don't know what my role is going to be," he said. "I don't know how many minutes I'm going to get. I don't know if I'm going to start or not. I don't know any of that. But I'll guarantee you, though, no matter how much I play and how many minutes I get, I'm going to play hard as hell and make the team better."

The No.14 Huskies, 6-2 after Wednesday's 64-61 loss to No.4 Kentucky, desperately need help up front. UConn has few options beyond Alex Oriakhi and Gavin Edwards, who will no longer have to play as many minutes.

Bottom line, if Majok is at all serviceable, he will be a tremendous asset.

"I have confidence that he'll make a difference," Calhoun said. "How big a difference? Well, if he can come out and jump right into it right away, that's great. But if he can't, he'll still make a difference."

Essentially, Calhoun isn't sure that Majok will be a star. But he's pretty sure he won't be a bust. Majok, from Sudan via Australia, hasn't played much organized basketball — compared to American high school and AAU players, anyway — and next to none in the last couple of years. But Calhoun has seen enough in practice to know that, while there will be adjustments and mistakes made, Majok can contribute.

"The best single thing about his game right now — beyond the fact that he has ability and size — is that he has an incredible engine, a motor," Calhoun said. "I would think that only Kemba [Walker] plays with the same tenacity, consistently."

Majok said he has improved over the last year, that he sees the game in a different way and finds himself analyzing play in ways that he could not before he began practicing. Now all the work and all the waiting is about to pay off.

"For me right now, it's just [about] coming in and playing defense, rebounding the ball, blocking shots, adding to what the team needs," he said. "Scoring the ball is a natural thing that I do, and I'm still going to do it, but my main focus is playing defense and helping us win games we need to win.

"My end goal is not to score 30 points or average a double-double. My end goal is to go to the Final Four."

The Hartford Courant

Reply #260912 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

This is funny, you no his family and coach ED (biggest con man out there) comes on here and pumps him. only time will tell. u can pump some up all u want, the point is he hasnt paid his dues yet. never even been on a real team. until uconn

Reply #265499 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:14 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754