Isaac
Years ago

Boomers selected for Tall Blacks series

Beijing Olympians Brad Newley, Mark Worthington and Joe Ingles headline the Boomers team while sharp shooter James Harvey returns to the team after recovering from a quad injury.

Dallas Mavericks forward Nathan Jawai will be the Boomers' main inside presence with help coming from 210cm big man AJ Ogilvy and Cairns product Aron Baynes.

Baynes, who has Australian and New Zealand citizenship, has played six games for Australia but Sunday’s match, an official FIBA event, will lock him in as an Australian for the remainder of his international playing career.

Gibson/D. Martin/Dellavedova
Newley/Harvey
Ingles/Crawford
Worthington/Forman
Jawai/Baynes/Ogilvy

Topic #20798 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pretty decent team under the circumstances. What happened to Kickert though? Is he still not fully recovered from injury. I thought he was pretty decent at PF for the '06 WCs. After getting pumped by 6'9 shooters at the Olympics last year I'm keen to see what Oscar brings to the international level.

Reply #247012 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Like the 2 and 5 spots, not sure on the rest..

Have I missed something, where is Anstey?

Reply #247016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^^^^
retired internationally

Reply #247017 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Again?

Great, when he can make an impact he retires.

CJ is injured correct?

Reply #247019 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

I think Anstey knows the quality of younger bigs we will have available to choose from over the next couple of years means he'd find it harder and harder to keep his spot. Better to let these bigs get in the mix now and provide a solid base for years to come eg. good to see Ogilvy get a run who may not have if someone like Anstey was somewhat demanding a spot.

Hope Harvey has a good series. Feel he should've went to Beijing but was a victim of Goorjian's favouritism to players he had NBL relationships with.

Reply #247022 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Not a bad team...they should be able to get the job done against New Zealand I would think.

Reply #247025 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

As good as goorjian was, he had prejudices against certain players. Harvey was one. It's a shame guys don't see the world champs as being worthwhile to continue internationally for, minus the next olympics, it would've been atleast good to have softc#ck anstey trialling for a spot to lift the tempo of practice and the competition for a centre spot.

Reply #247027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Peter Crawford a better selection as an 11th or 12th man heading towards the future when a Stephen Weigh or Liam Rush could've taken the position.

Reply #247074 | Report this post

ATR  
Years ago

What about Big Red Luke? Why isn't he training/Playing for the Boomers?

Reply #247076 | Report this post

Woody15  
Years ago

What players are not in this team due to injury/illness/unavailability that will be playing if they are available? I can think of;

Bogut
Mills
Bruce? (played at last world champs and went pretty well)

Any other major ones?

Reply #247086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Andersen, Nielsen, Bruton. Maybe Kickert and Loughton.

Reply #247284 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:00 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754