LC
Years ago

NH: Gender Debate: Caster Semenya

I caught some highlights of the World Athletics Championship and noticed the furore surrounding a young 18 year old South African athelete who has taken the athletics world by storm.

Caster Semenya powered to a 1minute 55.45seconds win in the 800 metres for women - the world's best this year - in Berlin. She has risen from relative obscurity to become the world's best in that event virtually overnight.

Even before her big win, the 18 year old female had her gender queried by many, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) have made the announcement that that she would have to undergo a battery of tests to verify her gender.

The IAAF says it was her rapid speed gains this year that prompted the gender test, which will take weeks to complete and include physical, medical, and psychological exams.

The furore has seen countless debates over often grey areas of gender, chromosomes and hormones, and what makes a woman a woman, in a debacle which has overshadowed one of the best performances by a South African athlete in recent years.

So what do people think about this unfortunate situation. I feel for the poor "girl" who has been placed under all of this global media scrutiny to the point it has become a circus.

Here is an article from the Herald-Sun website complete with video as well to make up you own mind: http://linky.com.au/kjh14

Topic #20841 | Report this topic

TC2  
Years ago

Oh, the South African runner? I thought this thread was going to be about Michelle Timms. Carry on...

Reply #247497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahah nice TC2

Reply #247500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel for this person as well - she is not cheating but it is a grey area.

Personally I think the testing needs a re think and should include the following questions:

1. Do they nag all the time
2. Do they get headaches at inopportune times
3. Do they know how to spend money
4. Are they ever wrong in an argument

I'm sure there are more but this test might be cheaper and quicker

Reply #247505 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

It reported today that initial testing for doping showed 3 times the amount of testosterone than a normal female athlete!

So perhaps she just hit up the roids massively

Reply #247507 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

She failed the vacuum test, I believe.

Reply #247508 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

How many pairs of shoes does she have?

Or the simplest of tests.....can she set the clock on her own microwave?

Reply #247512 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - just read a new news story that in she has tested positive to having three-times the normal testosterone levels of a women.

Link: http://linky.com.au/wlogv

"Preliminary medical tests on the South African athlete at the centre of a gender row reportedly showed triple the normal female level of testosterone in her body."

"High hormone levels do not always translate to a failed drugs test. Testosterone levels can vary widely."

Reply #247513 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

The track officials spotted some hair growing on unusual places on her body, like her scrotum.

Reply #247516 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

LMAO TC2. That was good.

Reply #247522 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure why videos are provided to help the masses make up their mind, as though that should amount for anything in what is obviously a case for medical analysis. I mean, the public's view is realistically limited to "OMG, LOOKS LIKE A MAN!11!!", "CHECK FOR A PENUS!!1" and (sorry guys) a race to make jokes when their mums aren't looking.

Clearly, gender and sexuality aren't as defined as many think. There are a lot of cases where the lines are blurred and there is going to be trouble whenever the line is drawn on gender, physical impairment and the like.

Is there any merit in weight classes outside of the usual brawling sports? e.g., the paralympics, AFAIK, has varying classes of impairment to go at least some way towards providing a level playing field.

Reply #247528 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I hate in when you bring controlled logic to threads, Isaac.

There's just SO many jokes that haven't got a run yet, and you've gone and put it back on topic.

:-(

Reply #247540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is like a black version of our very own Erin Phillips.

Reply #247545 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Fart in front of her and see if she thinks it's funny, or disgusting and innapropriate.

Reply #247546 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Oscar Foreman should be gender tested. He is far too pretty to be considered a man.

Reply #247548 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sorry Dicko - guess I'd find a detailed discussion of the medical side and strategy to deal with these grey areas more interesting than Not Another 1001 Jokes! Reminds me of the 'what constitutes a planet?' issues - you can either talk of having enough gravity to hold a certain shape, meeting a certain size, clearing the neighbourhood, etc, or you can make Uranus jokes! ;)

Reply #247549 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

wouldn't it be simple? just see if any nuts have been cut out and skin tucked back in? surely blood tests and all that won't prove a thing

Reply #247565 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - but when you have cases such as Lady Gaga (gag?) where they apparently have both options (phenomena called hermaphrodite apparently) it would certainly get a bit complicated!

Reply #247568 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

He he he

you said Uranus!!!!

:-)

Reply #247571 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"Yeah - but when you have cases such as Lady Gaga (gag?) where they apparently have both options (phenomena called hermaphrodite apparently)"

Yeah.....wait.....what?

Reply #247572 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Ricey, I don't think anyone is suggesting she was once a man. The suggestion is she has male characteristics, like high testoterone, and therefore she is does not "qualify" for a women's event.

Reply #247574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frm 40 Year Old Virgin, "...she had hands as big as Andre the Giant's, and her Adam's Apple was the size of her balls!"

Reply #247589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

East German coach

Reply #247631 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

You can't spell Semenya without... SEMEN :D:D:D

...sorry Isaac.

Reply #247632 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - apparently the head honcho of South Africa's athletics team is none other than the former East German coach who was the mastermind of their systematic doping program many moons ago - Dr Ekkart Arbeit.

In fact Dr Arbeit is accused by an East German female athlete of giving her so many anabolic steroids she was forced to have a sex-change operation!

Reply #247642 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

lady gaga... man i hate her/him/it

Reply #247648 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The jokes on this thread alone confirms that this story should never have been publicized. All it has done is create a wave of jokes and insults for this person regardless of whether she/he is cheating the system. Also without a doubt creating embarrassment for the individual and the family. All this testing could have been done privately. If she/he was found to be female, then no one would have been the wiser. If she/he was found out to be a fraud, then strip the medal and then make it public information.

Reply #247708 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Lady Gaga comparison was not far off the mark in the end!

"WORLD champion 800 metre runner Caster Semenya has been revealed to have both male and female sexual organs, posing an ethical and political quandary for the world international athletics body, the IAAF, and South Africa.
Extensive physical and emotional examinations of Semenya, 18, have shown the athlete is technically a hermaphrodite. Medical reports indicate she has no ovaries, but rather has internal testes, producing amounts of testosterone considered abnormal for a woman."

The Age: http://linky.com.au/2dj3z

Now what to do? IAAF is considering letting Semenya keep the gold emdal but award another to the 2nd place getter.

Reply #249097 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think that's fair. For all we know, this is the first time she's been aware of the internal testes so she was competing with good intentions.

Sport rewards the genetically gifted - the strongest, tallest, fastest, etc. In terms of competing in sport as a woman (or a reasonable approximation of one or definitely within a grey area), Semenya has a genetic gift.

I think the only solution is a grading for this minority, in the same way that paralympians have grades of physical impairment. In that context, however, achievements despite a disability are viewed positively. I don't know how exciting it's going to be for those competing in a "You have some man bits" class.

And even then, does this create precedent for all athletes to be tested for crossing sexual boundaries as they are tested for drugs?

Reply #249099 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good points you make Isaac.
I think it is fair for Semenya to keep her gold medal too.
However as for grading the minority such as this case, the Olympics is about the best male and female athletes. There is no grading in between that at the present time. I also don't believe she has a disability or physical impairment. Therefore I don't believe such an inclusion in the Paralympics is likely to occur.
The long-term solution may well reside in the IAAF setting boundaries for what constitutes an athlete being able to compete as a man and in this case, as a woman. And therefore, in answer to your last question, it is highly likely that all athletes may have to undergoe such testing in future - whether it is right or wrong. After all, it is about gender equality as much as anything else.

Reply #249100 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There are a couple of forms of this condition, does anyone know what the chromozone count was?

Reply #249101 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wasn't suggesting inclusion in the Paralympics, just that a similar system of grades/tiers might be the only way to properly solve it and can't really see that happening in a hurry.

The male/female black/white division has lasted a fair while, but it might start to blur over the next decade or so.

Reply #249102 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

No Jack toft. It has not been reported yet AFAIK.

Reply #249103 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

It all evens out in the wash. This chick has a high level of testoterone but should still be allowed to compete with the other girls. I mean, Ian Thorpe has been racing against men for years and he is the biggest girly blouse I have ever seen.

Reply #249105 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

"chromozone"

Is that some sort of bumper bar megastore?

Reply #249111 | Report this post

Deigh  
Years ago

This poor girl has just found out that not only does she have a potentially lethal condition, but also that she is medically unable to have children... and they want to take away her medal when she was completely unaware of the condition?

I wonder, if she has corrective surgery will she'll then be able to compete or if they'll hold it against her for the rest of her life?

There's a lot of talk of her testosterone being triple the average woman but none about her levels being much lower than the average man. Everyone has different levels of hormones in their systems... let the girl run!

Reply #249113 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Not that I am a believer in sweeping things under the carpet but in this case I think they are making it worse for everyone if they either prolong the issue, or awards two golds etc. Make a decision right now that she is a female and can compete and normal rules apply, or ban her from the competition forever (hopefully they don't).

Reply #249115 | Report this post

Deigh  
Years ago

"On average, an adult human male body produces about forty to sixty times more testosterone than an adult human female body."

Caster's measly 3x female average hardly gives her much of an advantage!

Reply #249121 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754