LC
Years ago

Six changes for Boomers team for Stankovic Cup

Following the big loss to New Zealand, the Boomers squad for the Stankovic Cup in China has been selected. Not one member of last year's Beijing Olympic squad is on hand for the four-nation tournament in which the 10th ranked Boomers take on China (ninth), Angola (12th) and Turkey (14th) in their last competition of the year.

Worthington, Ingles, Newley, Baynes, Jawai & Gibson and leave the squad due to other commitments, whilst the following players are included:

- Luke Schenscher
- Jacob Holmes
- Liam Rush
- Hugh Greenwood
- Stephen Weigh
- Ater Majok

So I assume the following players remain part of the squad to China:

- Ogilvy
- Harvey
- Crawford
- Martin
- Dellavedova
- Forman

Herald-Sun Release: http://linky.com.au/y52bq

Topic #20842 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

OMG - Gaze sends more accomplished sides to China than this.

Eight of those guys are NBL players, but only Harvey was ever a star in the league and Schenscher is the only young guy who you could call dominant in the NBL (for all of one season).

Then we've got Ogilvy and Dellavedova who clearly have talent but are very inexperienced at senior level.

Plus Greenwood and Majok. These guys may well be very talented, but its going to be a steep learning curve for them on this trip!

I'm all for giving some young guys experience, but its disappointing that basically only three guys with a realistic shot at the 2010 WCs (Ogilvy, Dellavedova and Schenscher) are available for an international tournament against quality opponents.

Reply #247583 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worthington injured, Ingles to Spain, Newley due in Turkey, Jawai to Dallas, Gibson foot injury. No mention of Baynes in the revised roster or list of reasons.

Dellavedova/Martin/Greenwood
Harvey/Crawford
Rush/Weigh
Forman/Holmes
Schenscher/Ogilvy/Majok

Reply #247586 | Report this post

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

Probably the worst Boomers team ever assembled, even Phil Smythe's team had decent NBL contributors. Am I the only one who thinks Oscar Foreman should not be in any Australian side?

Reply #247588 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's like they're jumping off a sinking ship.

Reply #247590 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whatever the case, this is the Boomers team, like it or not. I hope we unearth some more finds like Dellavedova. An opportunity awaits.

Reply #247594 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

its not only oscar,the whole thing reeks of mediocrity

it is an expensive excersise to see if greenwood or majok has what it takes to get in LINE for the last spot.

would be a lot cheaper to roll a dice for that last spot !!

Reply #247595 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

In the past week my expectation for Australian (team) sporting success has been severely dented.

I'm looking forward to watching our national team being the underdogs. I will enjoy any win they can grind out and appreciate the input of young players who might just turn out to be future stars. And I won't be disappointed if we lose games because I'm not expecting us to win.

I think it is a shame that younger NBL players like Nathan Herbert or Tyson Demos missed out on the opportunity as I think they have a bigger upsides than Harvey and Crawford in the long term. Had Harvey and Crawford played more national games than their contribution as senior players is quantifiable however they haven't so how much value will they bring to the program?

Reply #247596 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Unfortunately the team is what it is.

You have to look at it as a team for a few years in advance. Looking at the guys who could fill spots 8-12 in London or Spain in 2014.

With the guys unavailable, that's not a bad way to do it. It is horrible getting spanked all the time but most of our best 20 players werent available this year, for various reasons.

But yeah, to have noone in the national team who is an NBL superstar, and only two who are very good players in the NBL (Harvey and Schenscher) feels a bit strange.

And really, only Schenscher is a chance to play minutes in Turkey next year, and even he is very inexpereienced internationally and likely to be a deep reserve if he is available.

Reply #247605 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Paul - you make a valid point. What is happening is we are building fr the future. Short term pain for hopefully some long term gain. It can't hurt that these young players are getting exposure at the senior International level.

Reply #247612 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, but it does hurt watching us get spanked by the Kiwis!!

A few years on when Bruton, Nielsen, Andersen move on, we will have guys better ready to step in and support Bogut, Newley, Worthington, Mills etc.

Guys like Bruton, Saville and Nielsen didnt really get that chance and were learning the international game in their late 20s.

Reply #247614 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

rjd, sinking ship, or some not making themselves available to play for their country?

skull, who else? The net was cast and it seems a lot did not make themselves available for whatever reasons, or had injuries, or had concerns about playing through minor injuries - that's a pretty real and valid concern.

Reply #247619 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think that's the question RJD is asking. For mine, I think it is players getting pressure from clubs both in Aus and abroad to get to pre-season training rather than play in a meaningless tournament after thre real stuff.

Reply #247620 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Spot on. Clubs wanting their players. It is not players jumping froma sinking ship, even if it may appear that way.

Reply #247643 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754