Peter
Years ago

What do players gain from Junior College?

I was speak to a friend of mine today and he told me he is heading over to attend junior college in the states.

It made me wonder what do players actually gain out of it?? the time they spend over in junior college and by the time they return home they would be at the same playing level as they would have been if they diden't attend college.

To me it does not make much sence for players to attend jc as the cost is high for not really alot reward.

off course if you have a div1 or div2 offer where you can attend on a scholarship then it's a different story .

My friend is paying 11k a year , so i asked him why are you paying that much and he said to me for the 'education' , doesent make much sence you can attend uni here for 3 times less then that price

what do players actually gain by going over to junior college?

Topic #20881 | Report this topic

Apple  
Years ago

They gain experience in America and party that is about it. Not going to get much better. Aba here is better than junior college

Reply #248004 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

and not to mention a free eduction and experience in another country

Reply #248012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior College is not free education mate , you pay your own way and plus schooling fees.

Reply #248018 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Really? No scholarship? Always thought there was...

Reply #248023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

na no scholarship. one of my mates went to one, wasnt on the team and only trained with them went from feb to may this year didnt play one game but paid $6000. waste of time. and he went back this month with no promise of a roster spot

Reply #248027 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

and the education is a year or two behind where they would have come from here...its like college eductaion in the US, on the whole poorly equips kids when they come back here.

u go to college basically for one of three reasons:

a) basketball - dubious pathway except for the standouts in the strongest schools and a complete waste of time for our girls
b) education - nonsense
c) experience - good luck to you...at least you are realistic.

Reply #248031 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

what exactly is junior college? different from college? I think it would be a good experience both as a change of scene, structure etc of playing basketball, and life experience doing it for 6 months of so.

Reply #248039 | Report this post

Apple  
Years ago

Go to a 4 year school where you can experience college life. Junior college doesn't give you a campus life like he 4 years do.

Reply #248047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A JC can give you a chance to prove how good you are to then be recruited by a 4 year school.

JC's have a limited scholarship pool that they have to offer over all of their players. Some might get half fees paid, some might get all fees, some might not get anything paid. There are still accommodation costs, book costs etc. on top of tuition costs.

Whereas Div 1 have the full ride scholarships which cover everything.

The SAT qualifications are also different, easier to get into a JC.

Rebecca Miles who went to JC in New Mexico
http://media.www.bcheights.com/media/storage/paper144/news/2007/11/08/BasketballPreview/Bcs-Miles.Well.Traveled.But.Ready.For.New.Beginning-3088074.shtml

Also signed and played with Townsville Fire WNBL and then wonders why she lost eligibility. Div 1 much stricter with things than a small JC.

Reply #248050 | Report this post

vichoops  
Years ago

Junior College offers another path to a NCAA Div 1.

NCAA rule require a certain grade point average, if you fail to achieve them in high school you are left with only two options. Prep School for another year to try and improve your grades or Junior College.

The first two years of college are the same regardless of if you attend a two year or four year college.

I think the answer is simple some do it as a pathway, usually paid for by the Div 1 college who hope to get them after the two years, and those that do it for the experience or so they can say they played college ball in America.

Reply #248058 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

Also junior colleges give out half scholarships. so for example some young blokes from victoria i know, they get their Schooling fees paid for, which can be upto 10k, and then they just pay for their accomodation fees which can be 3-5k a year. so its not terrible, especially when it gives you exposure to NCAA Div1 and Div2 schools for your final two years

Reply #248111 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Junior college is basically the equivelant of TAFE here.
Also vichoops is spot on. If you don't get enough points on your SAT's to get into a div 1 or 2 college then you go to JC until you can sit them again and hopefully pass. But for education purposes it's very similar to TAFE.

Reply #248135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boy there are some way out statements here!!! Many half facts and way too much supposition, inuendo and ill informed advices.

A JUCO (junior college) is a two year college offering the first two years of University education which if all things are correctly studied and completed, carry forward to any 4 year NCAA or NIAA college of 4 years standing to conclude a USA University degree. Most JUCOs are are "community" based and offer to foreign and USA students a far cheaper 2 years of tertiary education. Full fees can range from USA 10k to 18K per year to cover University fees, text books, meal allowances and accommodation, compared to 4 year colleges that start from around 30k to 60k+ per year. Once you have completed your 2 years of study at a JUCO you must move onto a 4 year College to complete your studies to earn your (normal) 4 year USA degree. SATs have nothing to do with this.

The JUCOs have their own bodies like NJCAA, COA, NWAACC, USCAA. These are separate to NCAA and NIAA.

JUCO D1s can offer 100% full scholarships, JUCO D2s & D3s can only do partial scholarships where you pay for your own accommodation. The JUCO concerned funds these themselves and afaik no 4 year college subsidises them. There are also various local USA State subsidies applying to local and foreign students to attract students to particular states and colleges.

Any non USA student wanting to attend any College (University) in USA must sit the SAT. Each College has its own requirement for minimum SAT results, and not the NCAA or NIAA , and within the individual Colleges, Coaches of various Athletic sports also differ on what they look for in SAT scores.

Colleges will offer anything form 100% free ride scholarships to 20/30/60% levels depending on what the players they see offering them and what their budget allows. Colleges will also take players, if there is room in their squad, who totally pay their own way, as these players want to live their dream of playing College ball.

For most players aged 17-20, frankly ABA is not stronger for them as many get very little court time in ABA and reserves is below many a JUCO level. Also how many ABA clubs demand 4-6 weight sessions a week, 4-5 court sessions of 1-2 hrs each, sprint sessions daily, pilates, mandatory study times and minimum grades to remain actively in their basketball programme??? The players at JUCO and 4 year Colleges do all this and a lot more and have 24/7 access to caoches for even daily individuals if they want them and GET to play! Facilities are on campus and are free in one's educational costs. Gym memberships here are expensive.

JUCOs have 1st and 2nd year players so a JUCO means you are competing against almost equal ages and experience. If you are super good a 4 year College MAY see you get reasonable court time if you go there first BUT some players have received very little at a 4 year college in their first two years! Many 4 yr Colleges scout the JUCOs looking to pick up players to their roster after 1/2 years at a JUCO. This means such a player has 3 or 2 years respectively, left to play College ball at the 4 year College, as one can only do 4 years in total. (Prep Schools which are a bridge between High and College do not impact on the 4 yr eligibility criteria tho).

Players go for a myriad of personal reasons. Clubs should encourage these players and not be ambivalent towards them!!

This list is no where complete or up to date but shows where many players have gone from Australia to 4 yr and 2 yr colleges.......

http://www.aussiehoopsamerica.com/2008players.html

maybe email THEM and ask them THEIR thoughts!

Reply #248162 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Hey - the treatise on what a JUCO is great but sorry, tell me again why clubs should "encourage" their players to take this route?

Its a huge risk for clubs to be encouraging players to take the Junior college pathway or even college (d1, 2 etc pathway). Clubs should be leaving this to independent experts (and that specifically means individuals who are not scouts and do not run services which send kids to colleges).

What if the club recommends the kid goes to a JUCO, and the kid has a disastrous experience (which has ceratinly been seen before) and comes home injured ... or disillusioned or far worse as a result of the experience - what position does that put the club in?

Reply #248173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your very same comments can apply to any club here in Aust and to any sport, any time. Having trouble seeing the forest for the trees people do.

Reply #248209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754