Isaac
Years ago

Boomers win Stankovic Cup for the first time

AUSTRALIA 69 (James Harvey 14, AJ Ogilvy 14, Jacob Holmes 10) bt
TURKEY 52 (Umi Turkoglu 11, Ibrahim Yildrim 11, Hakan Yapar 6)

Quarter by quarter:
1. AUS 19 TUR 10
H. AUS 32 TUR 23 (13-13)
3. AUS 56 TUR 38 (24-15)
F. AUS 69 TUR 52 (13-14)

All Star Five:
Matthew Dellavedova - AUS
James Harvey – AUS
Hakan Demeril – TUR
Wang Zhi Zhi – CHN
AJ Ogilvy – AUS

Tournament Most Valuable Player:
James Harvey - AUS
Full write-up

Plus a cash prize for Australian basketball.

Topic #20900 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much is the cash prize??

Reply #248163 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think US$30k.

Reply #248164 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great to see Delly and AJ rewarded for their efforts with all-star 5 selection. Also kudo's to Harvey who has come out from his Goorjian inspired international hibernation to win MVP honours.
As coach of China, Goorj must have felt a little sick!
Both Delly and AJ should figure in calculations for the 2010 World Champ's. Guys like Harvey, Forman and Rush have done their future Boomer prospects no harm either.
Good to see some promising signs!

Reply #248169 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Would have been great to see Harvey play for Barnes (& Goorjian to a lesser extebt) in his hey day, he has decent size & athleticism for a 2 and can shoot.

Reply #248170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know this might not go down very well here but I don't think Forman has played to his potential in the last 5 games that I've seen.

I think by his own admission, he wouldn't be happy at his 3pt clip, but to his credit he has done a very good job on the defensive end against bigger bodies.

With Worthingotn a late scratching, he was forced to play PF against the kiwis which might have taken something away from his shooting % at the other end?

your thoughts?

Reply #248171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$30K Is that true Isaac?

Reply #248172 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, I only watched the Final all the way through and don't think Forman was too good in that one - missed every shot I saw him take! Did have some good moments in the other games - had 12, 8, 12 in those including seven boards in the second game. Had a great patch in the 27-9 start against Turkey I think it was. Not sure if he made a bucket in the fourth game, but was around the same scoring mark as Harvey and Ogilvy going into that game.

He was actually picked specifically as PF in this series, against NZ and for the South American trip.

As for the NZ series, it was mostly lack of shots that went against his impact. He had 3/3 in the Sydney game, and then 0/2 in the second where the first three went in and out, and the second was rushed and missed. Probably would've been more comfortable coming off the bench as a role-playing shooter behind Worthington, as you said.

Reply #248178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what was apparrent in the stankovic games was that the team spirit and structure at both ends of the court was working well. Apparently against China Brett worked out before the game who was subbing when and took out that "you could be playing for your minutes here". This is what you are going to get so go and use them. None of this wondering when are you going to get into the game thing. I am not sure that Boomers expected the win against China nut it obviously set up the series for them.
Also noticed that BB seems now to highlight guys who adhere to team and contribute definition at both ends. Schench was great when on court doing just that and I think BB appreciated the structure that he provided and has commented on that. Jake also did himself no harm, and Rush was also a great spark....but all guys on this trip have achieved something.
In the Angola game while result didn't matter they clearly wanted to win it and keep momentum going.
In the final oscar looked pretty stuffed and couldnt hit a 3 but structured offence kept giving the team plenty of good shots. BB did not seem to want O off court much even with his shots not going down. I guess thats his call.
BTW The Stankovi? Continental Champions' Cup is held annually by the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) and honors Borislav Stankovi?, FIBA Secretary General Emeritus, for his significant contribution to the world of basketball. Each continent has at least one representative at the tournament.

Started in 2005 won by Lithuania. 2006 by Greece. 2007 won by Slovenia. 2008 won by Angola. China have come 2nd twice and boomers 3rd in 2005.

Reply #248181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - i totally agree with you!

he did put up some good numbers but his 3pt % was down - and when i think about it, it probably a good thing... maybe it means he isn't just relying on the 3ball anymore.

Coming off the bench behind Wortho would have been perfect for him.

Apparently Brown said to PC and Oscar at the first camp, "Where the F#@k have you 2 been hiding?"

Reply #248187 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Behind some handy players named Mackinnon, Smith, Newley, Barlow, Ingles, Worthington, Nielsen and Andersen!!

Reply #248196 | Report this post

No Boti No mind  
Years ago

Expect Boti to poo poo this win as all these players should've been in training with their respective NBL clubs and not foolishly wasting their time trying to impress the new Australian coach in an international tournament.
To Boti NBL training is super super important up until the 31/8. Boti last week dictated every player should be training NOW with their respective NBL clubs...which makes Scott Ninnis decision to allow Coops to play in a State legue final instead of playing in an NBL pre season game in Perth make's Boti look stupid...

Reply #248211 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think it was more of a suggestion than some epic campaign of his. Sure it's worth dragging out into some "Boti will rubbish this win"?

Reply #248219 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Herald-Sun reports on the Boomers win: http://linky.com.au/4l6w5

Reply #248361 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754