D16
Years ago

The winner of the Rubio sweepstakes is....

ESPN is reporting FC Barcelona has traded for Rubio's rights and he won't be entering the NBA until the 2011 season at the earliest. Still by that time Rubio will be 20 which is similar to what many draftees are.

Topic #20904 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Barcelona wins...

Reply #248201 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Now he'll be competing for minutes and have a better quality of players around him, much more like what he'd face in the NBA. An 17yr old with a huge reputation that doesn't do well in his 1st or 2nd year in the NBA could really affect his long-term career.

I don't blame him for this as the T'Wolves drafted a safer option at PG - plus it's Minnesota. Does anyone know if he'd been drafted by Sacramento at number 4 whether he would have gone? Were the Johnny Flynn/Minnesota situations the straws that broke the camel's back or was he always gonna go back to Spain? The buyout obviously had a lot to do with it too, but there must have been other issues.

Reply #248212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's a conspiracy as T-Wolves probably paid him to not come over, this way they get more lottery balls again next year. this sets them up in 2 years time when Rubio finally arrives

Reply #248356 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Rubio got cold feet...ESPN story: http://linky.com.au/9tktl

"Less than 48 hours after the Timberwolves, Rubio's agents and the Spanish team DKV Joventut agreed in principle on a deal to bring the 18-year-old point guard to Minnesota, Rubio changed his mind. He told Timberwolves president David Kahn on Monday night that he wanted to stay in Spain for the next two years to better prepare for life in the NBA -- a blow to a team that was hoping to have the popular passer on the court this fall."

Reply #248358 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Rubio has come out to state that a move to Minnesota was too risky...

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/xhhy2

"Going to Minnesota would have just complicated my life a lot. It was a risk and I didn't see it so clearly," Rubio said. "My priority was the NBA and it was impossible for the Minnesota Timberwolves to pay my buyout clause, so I wanted to stay home."

Reply #248465 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754