LC
Years ago

Socceroos move up in the rankings

The Socceroos have risen to their highest ever work ranking! They are now rated the 14th best country in the world, ahead of countries such as Denmark, Portugal, the Czech Republic and Bulgaria.

Surely this is a direct result of Australia part of the Asian region and the many more competitive games tey takle part in. Previously we dominated in Oceania and the best we could get to was 32 despite going to the last World Cup.

And most of the Asian games Australia have played in have primarily involved payers from our very own A-League, which speaks volumes for the local product on offer as well.

A very good effort IMO.

The Age Link: http://linky.com.au/zzhn0

Top 25 in FIFA's world rankings released Wednesday (previous month's ranking in parentheses):

1. Brazil (1) 1,604 points.
2. Spain (2) 1,588.
3. Netherlands (3) 1,376.
4. Germany (5) 1,186.
(tie) Italy (5) 1,186.
6. Russia (6) 1,129.
7. England (7) 1,127.
8. Argentina (8) 1,113.
9. Croatia (10) 1,101.
10. France (9) 1,040.
11. United States (12) 974.
12. Greece (11) 971.
13. Serbia (14) 916.
14. Australia (16) 907.
15. Switzerland (13) 898.
16. Denmark (15) 892.
17. Portugal (17) 880.
18. Czech Republic (22) 870.
19. Bulgaria (23) 860.
20. Ivory Coast (18) 852.

Topic #20924 | Report this topic

jakarta in NBL  
Years ago

I think you'll find it's very political to give the Socceroos this ranking. I remember a few years ago the USA were number 5 in the world and almost all of their players were in the MLS. Australia's form has been as good as ever but as you said, they've been playing mostly Asian teams, which isn't like playing European teams regularly.

Reply #248512 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

Thats great news for Australian Soccer, and the FFA.

I am currently over in South Korea with the Socceroos as they prepare for Saturday night's game vs Korea. They are looking very good in training, and are a real chance to win. But since Harry Kewell has pulled out, and we don't have Lucas Neill and Tim Cahill, it will be a real fight on the weekend.

I watched Ji Yung Park of Manchester United train yesterday for the Koreans, Geez! We really have to stop him or we are in trouble, he has the best ball handling skills I have ever seen first hand, he will be extremely hard to contain.

Reply #248518 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Politics has nothing to do with the rankings. They are based on points gained through competition and results. Australia has been playing higher quality opponents in Asia than they ever did in Oceania, plus they have been winning just about every game they play against the European teams - Eg. most recently Ireland and The Netherlands who are ranked 3rd in the world and we have beaten them the last two times we have played them! That's got to count for something!

And when USA got so high, they were winning most of teir friendlies too.

Good luck to the socceroos against South Korea. Should be a good game.

Reply #248535 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Rankings are based on results (not politics) and the position that Australia finds itself is a credit to everyone involved in the FFA.

To be fair, if we were playing against some of those teams just below us regularly, im not sure that we would maintian the ranking, but you can only play the teams that are sent out onto the park.

I think its a reflection of the money and planning that was poured into the FFA a few years ago, and is a very simple design template for other sports looking to improve.

It costs money, it requires pain, huge restructuring and a long term commitment... im not sure any of the above have been done for the NBL.

Reply #248604 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754