H
Years ago

Is Cortez Groves what we need?

I mean...

he is not better if not worst than Tyndale or Grizzard.

Topic #20942 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

i don't see them making a change, maybe next season. I'm not sure what he is on but i doubt its huge cash, maybe he will do for this year in a reduced role.

Reply #248700 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

How much have you seen him play this pre-season? I think I might wait until I've seen him play with our full team for a few games before I add him to the import sludge file!

Reply #248701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to the days of imports being lock-in's for 20 and 10 as power forwards or 20, 4 and 4 as guards... I think Cortez is a player who really needs the rock in his hands a lot, whether Gilchrist can get his own, get Ballinger his as well as give some shots to Herbert, Burston, Hill and Ng is another story.

The Sixers are not a play-off team for mine

Reply #248703 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I feel with Groves that the last 2 seasons under 2 different coaches he did not do anything great. He is not terrible, but I will flat out say that he will not produce any better than what he gave in his time with the Dragons. By going on his Dragons performances, is that good enough for your liking or not? Not for mine but I dont know the budget or the salary's of the playing group. If we think Groves is going to be better for us than he was for the Dragons, we are in trouble.

Reply #248704 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

How about give him a chance first??

The season hasn't even started yet! We haven't even had our full team play together yet to see what his role will be. Either way he isn't expected to score 20 points per game and 5 assist 5 rebounds. So I'm not sure why most are putting such a high expectation from him!

Reply #248708 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

At the end of the day it is the PRE-SEASON. Lets wait until he's played atleast 1 game before people start running him out of town ay?!

And besides, given our guard depth, Groves doesn't have to do a lot anyways.

With 40 mins games average scores are likely to be in the 75-85 range, and if you figure that Ballinger & Gilchrist will both be good for 15-18 ppg then all you need out of Groves is about 10 ppg along with similar points from the likes of Hill, Ninja & Jacob.

I think the key for Groves will be how well he can spell Gilchrist at the PG position cause if Ng or Hill have to start bringing the ball up-court then we've got problems. So far, in the PRE-season, Groves has had very high assist numbers, but also high turnovers. Not unusual given its the pre-season and this is a vastly different squad to last years.

Give them time to gel and at least play 1 game where the WHOLE team is playing before you run people out of town.

On a side-note, its a shame that Tommy Garlepp doesn't qualify as an U-23 player as it looks like he's a pretty reasonable player (just from looking at the box scores) and certainly has done more than either Molitor or Seebohm. I wonder if we'll keep him around as an injury fill-in 11th player like Vanderjagt was with the GC last yr?

Reply #248711 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Oh and I didn't even mention the 10-15 that are likely from Burston. Completely forgot about him!!

Reply #248712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give them 6-8 weeks to gel?

Reply #248717 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Looking at your imports, what does your team need? A quarterback?? Does Gilchrist fill that role?
If so what are you looking for next to compliment the rest of your team? A shooter? A score? An all rounder? A big? I don't know your team that well, but the knock on 36ers over the years is DEFENCE. Does he help there?
Maybe at the end of the day, your finances dictate a budget player and getting the best value.

Reply #248719 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Said it before, will say it again we need a BIG!
We have guards a plenty, enough guys to cover the SF/Swingman we only have 2 legitimate bigs and cooper backing them up and than hanging on Holmes playing undersized as a PF to back that position up as well as well as sharing SF minutes with Grooves and Hill.

Pre-Season games without Ballinger and Burston have shown even more so our lack of bigs! We need someone to compliment Burston and Ballinger.

Reply #248723 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well he might be - if we see a few games....

Burston/Cooper/Ballinger
Ballinger/Holmes
Hill/Holmes/Herbert
Groves/Ng/Herbert
Gilchrist/Groves

Reply #248724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My thoughts exactly KingJames

Reply #248751 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here are his numbers from the Top End series:

Game 1: 14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals (6/15 FG, 1/6 3P, 1/2 FT)
Game 2: 6 points, 5 rebounds, 11 assists, 6 turnovers (2/16 FG, 0/5 3P, 2/2 FT)
Game 3: 13 points, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 4 turnovers (5/13 FG, 3/7 3P)

Just seems to be missing his shots and hopefully can get through that: 13/44 FG, 4/18 3P all up.

Reply #248800 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Turn overs a bit high for limited 1 spot duties?

Reply #248810 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754