Johnson
Years ago

NBL Team Analysis

Here is my team analysis after the pre-season challenge. Feel free to argue or comment:
Adelaide: Lacking maybe one more scorer to contend in my view. Ballinger and Groves will demand a lot of shots and the key is whether new import Gilchrist can supply himself and the other demands. Herbert is a solid pick-up as a bit player. Brad Hill needs to keep rising for the Sixers to contend.

Perth: A big, strong line-up with defensive grunt and the ability to score one on one. Redhage, Schenscher, Cattalini and now maybe Weigh all are capable of scoring one on one. Drew Williamson and Brad Robbins provide hardness and defense whilst Jess Wagstaff is a promising youngster.

Cairns: Hard to decide on they're team. Melzer, Jones and Rychart are great pick-ups and Mills and Rampton will need to prove they're worth. Maybe one too many bit-players for mine. Vale, Williams, Rampton, Grabau, Boodnikoff...

Townsville: Looks to me as if the teams chances lie with Corey Williams. The teams scoring looks a little depleted and they will battle all season long on the glass. Hoare and Crawford are reasonable signings but John Rillie's shooting in the clutch could be missed when it counts.

Gold Coast: Both imports are already in the gun. Harvey is a star and signing Gibson, Vukona and Petrie gives them instant credibility. Can Goulding, Vanderjagt and Demos prove they are worthy NBL players?

Wollongong: Surprisingly won the pre-season tournament. Might not count for much come March next year. Saville is a stud, Tragardh is solid and new import McKee looks great. Mat Campbell is another year older, Lazza Davidson is still a different unit and Rhys Martin, Tim Coenraad, Daniel Jackson and Tim Behrendorff will need to step up a lot.

Melbourne: Anstey, Worthington, MacKinnon make for an intimidating line-up. However all three are either old, injured or both. All three having a strong season is a must for a weakened Tigers outift. Kendall needs a big season as does Daniel Johnson.

New Zealand: If American forward Storey can fire they are my favourites. Penney is the leagues best. Ronaldson is as ever solid, Rickert is a double-double monster. Forman drills his triples and Abercrombie, Boucher, Pledger and Henare are nice off the bench. Oh did I mention CJ?

Topic #20944 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pledger didnt play in the pre-season tournament for the Breakers. Any one know why?

Reply #248709 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Looks like a three tier make up. Tigers, Breakers, Perth and perhaps Woolongong seem playoff bound. The Taipans (solid team) and Crocs (Corey) seem respectable. The Gold coast and the 36'ers seem destined to spoiler roles. Tywain McKee and Rickert seem to have done the business but probably all other imports came up short, especially Awvee (who came with a limited offence but a rebound your socks off rep????) Whether any changes occur before the season opens is anyone's guess.This could change the Gold Coast look immediately.
Cortez Groves is erratic at best. If he can accept a secondary role and pick his moments (ala. CJ) he can be a match winner but if he tries to do it all he will hurt you.

Reply #248714 | Report this post

forro  
Years ago

breakers and wollongong will be in the nbl grand final. Tywain is to good and will only develop him and sav will lead them to the finals. As for the breakers they look invincible. Cj,penney,storey,foreman,abercrombie,ronaldson,rickert,pledger and boucher. May lack that bench outside shooter like phil jones.

Reply #248733 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Think Pledger was sick. Storey is taking a while to settle his sleeping patterns.

Reply #248766 | Report this post

thomas.schmidt  
Years ago

my ladder prediction:

breakers
blaze
wildcats
tigers
hawks
crocs
36ers
taipans

Reply #248798 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i saw the cairns v tigers play the other night.
rampton and skip mills need to be cut.

like johnson said 'too many bit- players'.
i liked mills skills but the only extra
(from williams) that he brings is possibly his strength up the other end.

i feel they should have thrown the ball to williams this year and truely gone down the 'cheaper local product' road.

crosswhites work load is going to be to great this season,if he gets injured the team will barely be competitive.rampton is not the answer.

they need to cash in rampton and mills and get crosswhite some serious help.

Reply #248807 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Breakers should do ok this season lol, i wouldn't expect to much from storey for tha first few games.
Abercrombie has taken Jones place and has the necessary scoring ability to do the job well and Corey Webster can come off the bench and shoot the 3 if needed but as you are all aware the whole team bar boucher can shoot lol

Reply #248809 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Good points Mystro, but the knock on the Breakers is can they guard anyone? With Rickert, Ronaldson, Oscar and to a lesser extent Penney they can't stay in front of people and are exposed when isolated. Awvee might help if he can get his game together. Abercrombie will definitely help if Lemanis is prepared to cut Oscar's court time.

Reply #248845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754