LC
Years ago

FIBA Americas

The final results of the FIBA Americas tournament for qualification to the 2010 World Championships has been run and won...the standings are as follows:

*The top 4 teams qualified for Turkey 2010

1. Brazil
2. Puerto Rico
3. Argentina
4. Canada

5. Dominican Republic
6. Uruguay
7. Mexico
8 Panama

Interesting to note the Canadians got through as they struggled for a lot of the tournament, yet upset the Dominican Replublic when it counted to qualify!

Teams qualified for Turkey 2010 so far include:

1. Turkey (Host Nation)
2. United States of America (Olympic Champions)

FIBA Africa
3. Angola
4. Tunisia
5. Central Ivory Coast

FIBA Asia
6. Iran
7. China
8. Jordan

FIBA Americas
9. Brazil
10. Puerto Rico
11. Argentina
12. Canada

FIBA Oceania
13. New Zealand
14. Australia

FIBA Europe
15. ?
16. ?
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?

FIBA Wild Cards (From Qualification Tournament)
21. ?
22. ?
23. ?
24. ?

FIBA Americas Tourney Website: http://linky.com.au/9wpru

2010 Turkey Website: http://linky.com.au/xj5yn

Topic #20961 | Report this topic

Avv  
Years ago

The wildcards aren't selected from a qualification tournament but by the following criteria set by FIBA:-

The criteria for the wild cards
- In order to be invited, a team must have participated in its 2009 FIBA Zone Qualifying Championship.
- There can be a maximum number of three teams from a given FIBA Zone.

In addition to the two above-mentioned requirements, FIBA shall take into consideration the following aspects:

Sporting Aspects
Popularity of basketball in the country
Quality and sporting results of the country's national team
Quality of work by the National Federation
Economic Aspects
Involvement of local television station(s) and/or competition(s) in domestic and international basketball
Importance of the country to FIBA's marketing and television partners
Importance of the country to the Organizers of the FIBA World Championship

Note: The FIBA Central Board is the highest executive body of FIBA where 20 members and three ex-officio members meet twice yearly. The Central Board establishes the Internal Regulations and assigns the organization of all World Championships.

Reply #248878 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I was only going off what they did for Beijing in whereby they held a qualification tourney for the last few spots. From memory, they invited what they perceived to be the best possible teams that had not yet already qualified and played them off against one another in a mini-qualification tournament.

Reply #248882 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Yeah that was a good way to do it for the olympics. I guess cause all the teams have had a shot at qualifying in their Zone championships that they figure getting them together to play yet again may be overkill?

Personally I think the wildcard system is in place to save the big drawcard teams in case they don't qualify so they don't cop a loss in revenue. Note FIBA's last 2 points:-

a) Importance of the country to FIBA's marketing and television partners
b) Importance of the country to the Organizers of the FIBA World Championship

That sums it all up right there :)

Reply #248884 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Out of the regionsn that have already been played out and won, the only team that looks reasonbly strong is the Dominican Republic from FIBA Americas IMO. I would expect at least 3 of the ildcards to go to teams in Europe - after all their region is the deepest.

Reply #248885 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Not sure I like the idea of a wildcard to be honest, sort of takes away from the qualification process if you know you're going to be bailed out if you fall short if you happen to be from China. I like the football world cup qualifying process much better, team battling it out to the end to see who qualifies, leave politics out of it.

Reply #248930 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Billo - I'm with you. I still like the wildcard qualification tournament idea though. I worked for Beijing. But to be invited to this tourney the only requisite should be that only the highest ranked teams that have not yet qualified based on FIBA's world rankings at a certain date.

Reply #248968 | Report this post

Mosto  
Years ago

it's too bad that Sacramento Kings didn't let Francisco Garcia play the last game of the last qualifying spot to the world Championship, because Gracia was the best player for the Dominicans, and maybe the best player of the whole tournament, he was the heart and soul of the team.

With Francisco Garcia playing The Dominican would've beaten Canada easily and qualify to the World Championship, Missing Garcia meant missing 20 points per game more. So that being said we all know that The Dominicans qualified to the World Championship Morally due to the fact that Sacramento Kings pulled out Garcia at the last minute and didn't let him play after he had played the rest of the tournament (and dominated it BTW).

Because of this The Dominican Republic, deserve a "WILD CARD" because they didn't qualify because of The Sa-CRAP-mento (I mean, Sacramento) Kings, not because Canada was better.

We all know The Dominican Republic would have won that game against Canada with Garcia with them.

and on top of that, the Refs stole the Dominicans the game against Brazil, when at the last 2 minutes, they sent out all our Big men (Al Horford, Atlanta Hawks, and Charlie Villanueva, Detroit Pistons) with some phantom calls, "A-LA-D.wade"

and the same happened against Argentina, Scola played for the last 2 quaters with 4 fouls (you only need 5 to be out under FIBA Rules) (Scola) pushing everyone, and pulling Al Horford's hand all over the place, and (Scola) was never call of those fouls, and at the end he (Scola) was trhe one who won the game (with the help of the Rfes, of course)

So with all this been said, The Dominican Republic, rightfully deserve a WILD CARD.

Just Imagine that Dominican Team with ow more NBA players like Trevor Ariza, and Sammy Mejia (Detroit Pistons, not in the NBA right now), and a young college prospect like Edgar Sosa (Louiville's Cards) and Other players (all with NCAA experience also) playing in the best European Leagues like: Jose Olivero (France), Jeff Greer(France), Ricky Soliver (France), Sean Ogrii(Spain), other NCAA players like 6'9' Foward Antonio Pena ,and playmakers Albin Abreu and Manny Quezada, and a 7 footer player with ACB (Spain) and D-League (NBA developmental League) experiences.

Reply #249788 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Dominican Republic will be a good chance for one of those wildcards for sure as I previously noted.

Reply #249797 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mosto - I dont agree with your blanket statement. DR were inconsistent throughout the tournament and no lock to beat Canada.

LC I agree, I think DR are almost a certainty for a wildcard.

Reply #249804 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

THE DOMINICANS WERE ROBBED

Reply #251925 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754